Olaf - WHY can't I do well as him.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phantom 2k

04-16-2011

I mainly play tanks, some times casters, and some times melee DPS champs.

I can do well as Jarvan or Lee Sin with AD builds, but I can never play Olaf. I've had him for ages, and I've been terrible with him for ages.

I try to build:

Berserker greaves or boots of swiftness
Warmogs
Frozen Mallet
Atmas

Then usually a Last Whisper or Starks if the game lasts past then.

I KNOW this is a good build for him, it scales so well with him.. I just can't for the life of me play him in a normal game. I do really well in co op vs ai as Olaf, so I realize his potential - I can just never pull it off against players.

I use Cleanse and Ghost for my summoner spells, I always lane as I don't have much experience as a jungler, but I know he can't be THAT bad in lane, can he?

What are some strategies for using Olaf? What are some good builds?

its all me

04-16-2011

i have no input at other than, i cant play him ethier ive played him like 12 games tried diffrent builds, but nothing seems to work, i dont play him anymore but ya i assume i just dont understand the mechanics of his passive and the life steal thing but um yea that's all

Rahgar

04-16-2011

Is your build in that exact order? Warmogs is a terrible item to get before Mallet or Youmuu's.

Also, play him as a jungler. Lanelaf sucks. Bigtime.

Phantom 2k

04-16-2011

I tend to get a regrowth at the beginning to stay alive better, and because it builds in to warmogs later. Then I grab a health crystal, boots, build the crystal in to phage. Upgrade the boots, upgrade regrowth to warmogs. Then I get Atmas, then upgrade phage to mallet.

How bad is he in lane though? By bad with him I don't mean do 'average', I mean go insanely negative. Games like 1-7, 1-14, 2-6, etc.

I love the character, I love the concept - I just want to at LEAST do average with him. When I get a 1:1 KDR as Olaf I get happy, yet I go positive easily with any other character.

Vladmyr

04-16-2011

As Rahgar said jungle with him, make custom games and practice jungling with him til you get the hang of it, also this guide was recommended to me by a good Olaf player http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...g-viking-12328
Has videos on jungle routes, play around with the item builds and find one that suits you. Not saying I'm a pro olaf player(bought him recently) but I sucked at jungling and that guide helped me out a lot.

TealNinje

04-16-2011

Don't listen to the angry mobs, Olaf is incredible in a side lane. He has free full-bush harass if the enemy is sitting in the bush, he has a very nice slow, he has an insane combo for protecting the bush, and his damage is better than any harasser and more consistent than any burster. If the enemy tries to burst you, force them into an actual fight; if they try to harass, harass back. He has abilities for any circumstance and only becomes more dangerous when low on health.

Of course, I highly doubt anyone will believe my words, seeing as I think Olaf is a boss as CDR/tank. Once people stop trying to play him as an auto-attack champion and see the absurdity of Undertow spam + true damage, he will stop being played as jungle.

Rahgar

04-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 2k View Post
I tend to get a regrowth at the beginning to stay alive better, and because it builds in to warmogs later. Then I grab a health crystal, boots, build the crystal in to phage. Upgrade the boots, upgrade regrowth to warmogs. Then I get Atmas, then upgrade phage to mallet.

How bad is he in lane though? By bad with him I don't mean do 'average', I mean go insanely negative. Games like 1-7, 1-14, 2-6, etc.

I love the character, I love the concept - I just want to at LEAST do average with him. When I get a 1:1 KDR as Olaf I get happy, yet I go positive easily with any other character.
He's just not a good laner at all. His harass spells cost too much mana, and he's very weak early game. He's one of the best junglers though, and can easily clear out his route at 3:55, although it is risky.

Also, if you must lane with him, try buying a cloth armor and 5 hp pots. This will give you much better sustain in the lane, and the cloth can be built into a lot of things, like Wriggle's lantern. This is also the jungle build for him, too.

Anthelion

04-16-2011

Olaf is a pretty average champ with decent potential. Don't be too frustrated with yourself if you cant do THAT well with him. I personally think his passive is a bit counter intuitive to his play style, but that is just me.

Ultramerican

04-16-2011

I have trouble with him as well. The entire good/bad with Olaf (other than basic knowledge of damage output and survivability on any character and when to engage) is how well you throw your axe. That's it. If you can hit and pick it up to throw again, you can put out insane DPS, rotating Q/E almost as fast as you can spam them.

Easier said than done, though! I'm really not used to skillshots with a line that shrinks/grows to max distance. On almost every other character I'll quickly line up a shot about 3/4 up the line to the end of the range and fire it. On Olaf, you have to judge angle AND distance, not just angle, because it goes where your cursor is.

High skill cap for someone with only one skillshot and the rest melee.

RUBBA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-16-2011

I'm just gonna put it out there. laning Olaf is not great. He is melee, his q is relatively high mana cost so you can't spam it,,, You're going to get forced out of lane very easily by competent players. Jungle. It's not hard, he has one of the easier jungles as long as you can get someone to leash blue for you. Not to mention it's incredibly fast due to his passive and skillset.

I'd also suggest jungling just for general jungle practice in case you have to play it in ranked or something.