Noob's questions about matchmaking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grandpappy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2010

To start off, I have read quite a few threads since I've joined about the matchmaker and how it attempts to keep people at basically a 50:50 w/l ratio. I'm curious if anyone can explain what happens if you keep winning (or losing)?

Basically, I've won the past 9 games straight. Right now, poor little Nunu is now 29:10 for me, where I'm now 33:19 overall, and with Nunu, I have a 280:146:427 K/D/A ratio.

Now, about 4 games ago the match maker got pissed. I hit level 12, all excited to try Flash for the first time. Imagine my surprise when I queue up in solo only to find every single one of teammates and opponents running flash. Having played quite a few matches with lvl 12 to 18 players up to this point, with few running flash, I realized I had angered the matchmaker. Peeing myself just a little, I prepared for the jolly good rogering that was about to come my way.

I was in full concentration mode, while my teammates and the opposing team were chatting the entire match like it was tea time. I felt like I was feeding the whole time, because I was used to dying 0-2 times per match. My l33t ultimate kept getting interrupted. In short, I felt like I was playing horrendously. Except we won. I ended 3:6:15. And when the stats screen loaded, my hypothesis was confirmed. 9 lvl 30's and me, poor little Grandpappy with his soiled depends.

It's happened 4 times now. Me and a poopload of lvl 30's. My death rate has gone up considerably while my kill rate has gone down considerably, mostly because I'm playing with people who actually know what they're doing. Not to mention the immediate difference between players running no runes vs. players running T3 runes, probably full pages at that. Even at lvl 1, their champs are just...tougher.

I guess I'm just curious what's going to happen. What if I keep winning? Is matchmaker going to reach through the screen and punch me in the face? Will I ever get to play against people my own level again? Will that only happen if I lose 9 matches in a row? What if I start playing against really good lvl 30's? Do I press my eyes shut, clench my sphincter, and pray to Sweet Little Baby Jesus that the eventual ass raping will be quick all the while matchmaker chuckles gleefully?

XipXoom

02-26-2010

The matchmaker doesn't look at your past wins and losses. It doesn't care that you won or lost your last 30 games. It just tries to give you a match thats likely to go either way. Every time. This just happens to trend out at 50/50 for most people on a long enough timescale. In short you can be at 100 wins and 0 losses and the matchmaker is still going to attempt to match you with a 50/50 win chance.

The problem you're seeing is that you just got out of newbie island since you hit level 12. You're no longer confined to the low level playing field anymore. If you're exceptionally good or the level 30s are exceptionally bad you'll get matched together. Play some more matches and give the matchmaker a chance to learn where you should be elo wise now that you're out of newbie island.

wafflecopter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2010

Posting just to say I love your post.

Also, the matchmaker will eventually get things right, but its important that you don't play in a premade. Ever. Otherwise matchmaker will get angry.

Grandpappy

02-26-2010

Matchmaker is already angry!!!! At this point, I will now refer to it as a she, and hope to all that is good and holy that she does not hold a grudge. Maybe she's mad I didn't send flowers for Valentine's Day?!?!?!?

If there is such a thing as noobie island, I wish I had known. There was such a dramatic shift in the game playstyle from one match to the next that it was almost surreal.

XipXoom

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpappy View Post
Matchmaker is already angry!!!! At this point, I will now refer to it as a she, and hope to all that is good and holy that she does not hold a grudge. Maybe she's mad I didn't send flowers for Valentine's Day?!?!?!?

If there is such a thing as noobie island, I wish I had known. There was such a dramatic shift in the game playstyle from one match to the next that it was almost surreal.
Just give it time to learn your true elo and for you to readjust to the new playstyles and tactics you're likely to be seeing.