Whats difference between primary rune and secondary rune?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IM ON TROLL TEAM

02-26-2010

sry, im new to this game. how do u make primary rune and secondary rune?

JudoPunch

02-26-2010

You have two rune pages, you may select one to go into battle with. This allows you to have different sets of runes for different champions.

Example, one page you could have all +spell damage, and the other you could have +dodge / +crit for another type of champion.

IM ON TROLL TEAM

02-26-2010

no, im not talking about the run pages, im talking about the runes, its in top right corner, it says primary/secondary.

flankd

The Council

02-26-2010

Primary, means its for its corresponding slot basically..

Red = Offense, things like Armor Pen, Magic Pen, Crit Dmg (these runes are primary...) If its not an offensive stat, then the chances are it's secondary... like Armor, Regen etc.

Yellow = Defense, things like Armor, Dodge are primary (typically) and crit damage would be a secondary

Blue = Utility/Casterish, Cooldown Reduction, Regen, ability power... these are primarys, armor, crit dmg etc would be secondary.

This is roughly how it goes

And a primary is stronger in that slot then a secondary obviously... basically... theres only a few exceptions where I might use secondary runes. An example would be an entire Ability Power page... ability power yellows are not on par with ability power blues, because blues are primary.. its just a lesser version of a primary basically.

For a balanced tank/carry page, try and get primarys in each slow.

For stacking one thing excessively.... like i use to go 55% crit damage on tryndamere/pirate for big numbers.... and only the reds were primary.

Malduk

02-26-2010

Primary runes give you higher bonuses than secondary.

Example, cooldown reduction is primary for glyphs, but secondary for seals, so cooldown reductions on glyphs would be bigger than those on seals.

EDIT: sloooow typing... flankd gave more detailed answer

IM ON TROLL TEAM

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankd View Post
Primary, means its for its corresponding slot basically..

Red = Offense, things like Armor Pen, Magic Pen, Crit Dmg (these runes are primary...) If its not an offensive stat, then the chances are it's secondary... like Armor, Regen etc.

Yellow = Defense, things like Armor, Dodge are primary (typically) and crit damage would be a secondary

Blue = Utility/Casterish, Cooldown Reduction, Regen, ability power... these are primarys, armor, crit dmg etc would be secondary.

This is roughly how it goes

And a primary is stronger in that slot then a secondary obviously... basically... theres only a few exceptions where I might use secondary runes. An example would be an entire Ability Power page... ability power yellows are not on par with ability power blues, because blues are primary.. its just a lesser version of a primary basically.

For a balanced tank/carry page, try and get primarys in each slow.

For stacking one thing excessively.... like i use to go 55% crit damage on tryndamere/pirate for big numbers.... and only the reds were primary.
thank you for ur explanation w/ details and examples.

LeleOle

03-11-2011

Great explanation for the rune usage above, usefull for new players..
I have to ask though, why my primary runes (attack speed,critical dmg,armor per lvl,magic resist per lvl) when to secondary? I did nt change anything.. I've noticed that afer the last patch.
Thnx in advance

Ebonclaw

03-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeleOle View Post
Great explanation for the rune usage above, usefull for new players..
I have to ask though, why my primary runes (attack speed,critical dmg,armor per lvl,magic resist per lvl) when to secondary? I did nt change anything.. I've noticed that afer the last patch.
Thnx in advance
There seems to be a glitch in the database atm, everything is showing as Secondary to me.

Look at the ring of light around the runes, when they are placed in the page. If the ring is White, they are a Primary for that slot. If the ring is a different color (ie- blue rune with a red ring), then they are Secondary, and the color of the ring is telling you which category that stat belongs to as a Primary.

footynbeers

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2011

hey sorry just to clarify, when you say that secondary runes have a reduced effect does that mean that the actual numbers are less in-game? for example, say 10% attack speed yellow, do they give say, 9% in game?

cheers

malphismia

03-25-2011

Nah, it just means the primary runes usually give higher stats than secondary runes. Attack speed marks (1.7%) give a higher attack speed than Attack speed glyphs(.76%)

It's not always the case, MP5/level seals give more mana regeneration than MP5/level glyphs. Just compare the stats, not the primary/secondary label.