[GUIDE] Melee Kassadin - AKA Inyourfaceagainadin, AKA Hashashadin

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Saitam

Recruiter

02-11-2011

We might be a rare breed, but I also play a sort of melee Kassadin.

The source of all of the fighting, raging, arguing, and dispute between the masses of AP Kassadins and the handful of AD Kassadins stems from a pretty obvious source, that most people choose to ignore rather than accept:

Kassadin is a hybrid champion. Two of his skills pertain directly to autoattacking. Two of his skills are nukes. His ultimate facilitates both playstyles (...and is totally kickass).

Personally I feel that if you shove Kassadin into a hard AP or hard AD role, while you might enjoy success when it presents itself, you're still gimping the champion slightly.

Somebody in another thread mentioned that a hybrid Kassadin is one of the toughest and most intense champion experiences in the game--this is true. In this thread, somebody once described Kass as a champion that relies "not on spamming, not on stacking one stat over another, not on map awareness or ganking or any one specific thing--rather, the source of strength for any truly great Kassadin player is a simple ability: Creativity."

The key to playing Kassadin the way that he was meant to be played isn't by sticking to one course and ignoring or discounting other options. Kassadin is one of the most absolutely flexible champions in the game--he should be treated as such.

There are some items that work really well on Kassadin, almost always. Manamune, Trinity Force, Hextech Gunblade, and Lich Bane come to mind. All of these weapons complement his FULL set of abilities, not just a few. From the moment that a Kassadin player can see his full team composition, and the champions that he's playing against, he should be planning out the optimal way to combine those items, along with whatever other items he wants to efficiently and surgically dominate the other team. Because that's what Kassadin does: Quickly, efficiently, and creatively kill.
A Kassadin with more AD-esque items will be able to push and farm extremely efficiently in addition to tearing apart mages. A Kassadin with more AP-slanted gear will be able to burst down loners, and surgically remove priority targets from teamfights. Creative use of his ult, slow, armor pen/mana regen, and silence give him the ability to do almost anything. Personally, starting with a Manamune and boots alone I average around 8/2/8 per game (on Twisted Treeline).

A Kassadin who unimaginatively sticks to a single statistic is gimping his ability to succeed.

Ebonclaw

02-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitam View Post
From the moment that a Kassadin player can see his full team composition, and the champions that he's playing against, he should be planning out the optimal way to combine those items, along with whatever other items he wants to efficiently and surgically dominate the other team. Because that's what Kassadin does: Quickly, efficiently, and creatively kill.
You, sir or madam, just made me smile.

<3

Wizard975

02-25-2011

Sorry for the necro, but the first page says "will be updated for the current state of the game soon." I was just wondering if that is likely to happen or was "soon" like 6 months ago?

Ebonclaw

02-25-2011

It, yeah. Maybe not quite 6 months ago, but. A bit.

Testing was just getting incredibly tedious, and I really never worked on it hard enough to rewrite the entire guide. I just had too much difficulty getting teams to let me have solo lane - and then when they did, inevitably we'd be facing a beefy DPS + AOE + CC team that wouldn't let me do anything but snipe, anyways.

I keep meaning to come back to it, as I do love playing Kassadin, but there is one thing for sure about him, no matter how you build him - people hate him, and know that he is rather squishy, and because of this, if you fall behind on gear, it's almost impossible to catch up, because people want you gone - your CC is just as valuable as your damage.

Ultimately the problem being, that if you do fall behind at all, you are still somewhat viable as a ranged nuker. But if you become underfed, and all you've got is say.... a Zeal and a Sheen, you are pretty screwed, and won't contribute much to your team.

A well fed melee Kass is an absolute monster, an underfed melee Kass is a bad joke.