Brandine, the Beastmistress

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Giltia Zero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-16-2011

Bout time we had a forum for these time wasters.

Character Summary:
The intention here is to build an AD mage. We have a grand total of... what is it, two of them? Pantheon and Lee Sin. Pantheon has damage, but he's got absolutely no survivability, and his damage is incredibly hard to pull off. Especially after his nerfs. Lee Sin's going to be getting a buff in the next patch to go along with his hotfix, so he's slightly more reasonable at what he does. But unlike Panthon, he has no damage.

So first and foremost, Brandine is designed as a caster who scales with AD. Meaning her abilities will scale very well with AD, but she'll lack anything in her character design facilitating DPS.

At the same time, she will end with rather strong auto attacks as a result, and so her total burst should end slightly less than a burst caster.

Secondly, I wanted a character that wasn't easy to use. As such, most of her abilities are weird skillshots involving her summoned pet. An Alt+Click wolf familiar that complements her fighting, farming, and abilities.

The added feature of using a pet makes the character harder to balance since it's an added source of damage, and my current idea is to have all of her abilities be weaker than normal, but do double damage when aimed correctly using the pet, who would perform abilities at the same time. Or in certain cases, apply additional CC effects.

So the character concept is a pet using AD mage, with difficult to learn but exceptionally versatile skillshots.

Abilities:

Passive: Wild Heart
Brandines wolf recieves 15% of her total stats, and Brandine recieves 10/15/20% of its base stats while it is summoned. Bonuses are not affected by one another.

Notes: The biggest probelm with this is the stat boost%. Obviously it's to keep the pet a viable option as the game progresses. Whereas Heimers turrets become super squishy, and Voidlings/Tibbers become completely ignorable, this is a champion who's very much based around her pet being alive.

Q - Wolfcry
Brandine summons a wolf from its den. A beast familiar pops up at target location, dealing small AoE damage to enemies upon arrival. The wolf can be controlled with Alt+click, as well as Q+click while summoned. Summon damage is affected by Mark Target. Possibilities for pet healing could include passive lifesteal, being healed by the fountain, or having it expire after a set time and require re-summoning when needed. Does not proc on-hit effects.

Damage
40/60/80/100/120 + 0.6 of total AD
Mana cost
100 at all levels
Cooldown
6 seconds. Cooldown timer starts upon death of pet.
Range:
Pets stats increase slightly with level, but main stat buffs should come from Brandines own itemization.

Notes:
This is the bread and butter of the character. All of her following abilities benefit greatly from having her pet available to enhance their damage and effects. Allowing the pet to be killed, having it cost a good 100 mana, prevents it from granting complete lane dominance. The 6 second cooldown is to allow Brandine to re-summon it during engagements should it die during or prior to the fight, and still attempt to get the full use out of her abilities, while not being quite as simple.

W - Hunt
Brandine throws her hunting knife in a line skillshot ahead of her, her wolf pounces in the same line skillshot towards the location of the cursor, both dealing base damage. Both attacks can be intercepted by minions. If both attacks strike the same target, additional damage is dealt. Additionaly, the wolfs target is slowed. Wolf damage is affected by Mark Target.

Damage:
60/90/120/150/180 + 0.6 of total AD
Additional Damage:
50/70/90/110/130 + 0.6 of total AD
Slow %:
20/25/30/35/40
Mana cost
60/70/80/90/100
Cooldown:
8 seconds
Range:

Notes:
The trick with this was to make it a finicky skillshot that still has its uses, but is most rewarding when landed perfectly hitting with both character and wolf familiar. The slow is to allow trickier shots to help catch runners using clever wolf placement.

E - Mark Target
Brandine whistles, calling a falcon out of the sky. A small amount of feathers fall, informing the enemy, then the falcon dives, striking enemies in a small AoE. For 4 seconds, a small bird hovers around the heads of struck enemies, revealing them and increasing the damage Brandines wolf deals by 20%.

Damage:
80/130/180/230/280 + 1.2 of total AD
Mana cost:
Cooldown:
16/14/12/10/8
Range:

Notes:
Brandines easiest nuke, something akin to Veigars Dark Matter. It has a short cast time before it strikes, and is more reliable than Hunt for damage. This can be considered the opener for her full combo of Mark/Wolfcry/Hunt/Fury, increasing her wolfs half of ability damage by 20%.

R - Fury of the Wild
Brandine launches herself to a target location in a straight line AoE skillshot. Her wolf travels to the point of impact in a straight line, regardless of distance, both deal damage during travel. At the point of impact, a small AoE 2 second stun is triggered and full damage from both Brandine and her wolfs charge both hit. Wolf damage is affected by Mark Target.

Damage (Brandine):
70/110/150 + 0.6 of total AD
Damage (Wolf):
200/300/400 + 1 of total AD
Stun AoE range:
Mana cost:
Cooldown:
Range:

Note:
This is a one-size-fits-all ult. It provides an escape ability in the same way Malphite CAN use his ult to get over a wall to freedom. As much as that's not recommended. As well as some hard CC and a strong nuke. The wolfs dash notably does more damage than Brandines, so its positioning prior to ulting is just as important as Brandines. The stuns AoE is the same size as Heimers grenade. Whether or not this is too large or too small is up for debate at this point.

Quotes:

Upon Selection:
The hunt is on!

Taunt:
The most dangerous game? You? *Mocking laughter*

Joke:
Pending

Final Notes:
These are just rough numbers and the rough idea for a character I had in mind for an interesting character with a more in depth playstyle. I'd think she would come complete with a very high skillcap, but that would just be part of the fun of learning and playing her.

Obviously I am not superpro math nerd doing advanced metagame numbercrunching on all her base damages and AD ratios. As well, I haven't written out the base stats of the wolf pet at all levels as I'm not in the slightest sure what those should be to keep the character balanced.

The whole character idea was inspired partially by Alice the Dollmaster in that I wanted to make a pet based champion. Balancing is a definite issue for the character as a whole, but honestly if it ever WAS to be scooped up by Riot, I doubt any of the actual balancing I did would carry over so it's not a major concern here. The concept is what I think is most important.

But regardless, tell me what you think. Do certain skills do too much? Should it be more clear? Would it generate fifty threads of forum QQ moments after official release?

Other Champion Suggestions:
Kanden, the Product of Progress

TheDarkPrelate

04-16-2011

So question. Whats the range on her Q? Is it a global thing where she can sit in her lane, and have her wolf help out the team elsewhere? Or is it the kind of thing like every other pet where it has to be close? And also i think there should be some kind of penalty for the wolf dying. Maybe she loses a portion of health if the wolf dies, and then has a long wait until she can summon it again?

On her E i think you've got that one good. I love me a skill shot!

Her W is a nice idea, but i am questioning the scaling with AD As well as granting life steal to all allies that hit affected targets? Why not make it blind them instead? (Bird feathers aren't transparent yeah?)

Her ultimate concerns me only if the wolf has a global range. If it doesn't you should consider having the wolf deal damage to enemies it hits as it travels? Also i think the stun range should be larger on it by a tad, and then have a secondary slowing range on top of that to give her better CC capabilities, also giving her a way to get out of the area when her work is done, without fear of too much gankage.

Other than that i really like this design! Keep up the good work!

Giltia Zero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-16-2011

Wolfcries range is 350, so rather short. It's meant less for the damage, and more for the ability to respawn you pet after it gets killed.

The wolfs range is the same as any pet. If it travels too far it just poofs back to Brandine. This keeps it from being a free permanent ward. It can scout safely of course, but its main purpose is to aid Brandine.

As for the ult, the wolfs "range" is global. Although it's still bound by its wander range. It heads in a straight line to the point of impact, dealing damage as it goes. Brandine does the same, but for significantly less damage.

Removed Mark Targets lifesteal component. On second thought it's not needed at all. I considered making it a method of healing the pet, but that's not a huge concern, really. The vision and the increased wolf damage should be plenty for that ability.

Giltia Zero

04-21-2011

Bump

twomz

04-21-2011

Does the wolf sit next to you and go in a straight line from where you are, or do the abilities intercept at a point? In other words, if you have your wolf off to the side of the target and you put your cursor over the target, he'll move at a right angle to how you move and you'll both end where your cursor is?

If so, I like it. The rest seems pretty straight forward... but I'd rather see Hunt as the Q and have the wolf exist as your passive with W being a way to shield/heal your pet (or revive him if he dies). Nice champ :3.

Giltia Zero

04-21-2011

The wolf itself is a pet. Controllable like Tibbers or Mordes ghosts. In the instant of Hunt, the Wolf gets its own skillshot with its own range that aims towards your cursor. That way, the wolf itself can be positioned in interesting ways to pull off impressive skillshots. So it will need to be in range to properly proc the doublehit bonus damage. Position it too far away and it'll just dash into thin air towards the target.

As well, having the wolf summoned by Q was the result of questioning how I should make a pet reliant champion reliably keep her pet available. Having it spawn for free with her passive would lead to early suiciding the pet to harass enemies.

Having it cost mana is a method of balancing it for laning (though I think it may still be a bit much.)

Dessim8

04-21-2011

Could we get a name that doesnt mimic the most previously released champion?

Giltia Zero

04-21-2011

Brandine is a name. Brand is a verb.

Giltia Zero

05-05-2011

Bump