Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

"solo mid" me:wha....?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

basement cat

02-26-2010

I played dota for 6 years. It was never the norm.

Federici

Recruiter

02-26-2010

well....we aren't playing DOTA

Damonic

02-26-2010

Quote:
SlyGoat:
Um. Solo mid was the norm in DotA, too.

I played DotA for years and rarely was there a solo mid, solo usually got bot or top. (I always preffered bot although unrelated :P)

Brodin

02-26-2010

Solo mid = more xp/gold isn't a valid argument, as solo anwhere gives more xp and gold...

I think it's become conventional because teams generally prefer to match up 1v1 and 2v2 to avoid a 2v1 mismatch and an early tower loss. If teams mix up their solo lane all the time, the weaker team ends up having to adjust mid game, digging them even deeper into the hole.

That said, a powerful solo holding off a duo successfully can give a team a huge advantage, allowing his team to push down the opponents solo lane quickly. It just doesn't happen often because it's difficult, especially without a premade.

LATB

02-26-2010

the reason you have solo mid instead of solo bot (or top) as it was in dota is because the map is not the same as dota

mid lane is much harder to gank at early levels in LoL (as are all the lanes, really)
the towers are much beefier, and the map is bigger.

add to that the fact that bot lanes can effectively push a tower from the brush, and that makes top and bot lanes much more dangerous for a solo than mid, which is by far the hardest to gank considering the time you need to travel there and the relative distance from the brush to the towers

contrast this to dota in which solo bot on sent or solo top on scourge was easily the safest lane due to that beefy corner tower; and you can see why mid is the go-to solo for LoL

Cyrot3k

02-26-2010

on dota mostly ranged heros are going mid cause, its nearly impossible to play as a melee there cuz of the line of sight and that u can get ganked really easy.

so

lane control > ranged > dps at endgame in dota for mid

nicosharp

02-26-2010

some one mentioned this on the first page, and I will repeat.

Solo mid happens for many reasons but for this reason mainly: Zone Control

The towers are closer together, and it is harder to bleed the person in middle from their XP, as the minions will often be in tower range. With less area to hide and gank from, and their proximity to their own tower, it is a challenging spot to need or want two or more champions at for a team.

The side-lanes are more intuitive for 2 people to be in as the distance between towers is much longer, and their is more room to gank from and enforce zone control. This benefits your team greatly if you can play a strong 2 man side-lane starving your opponents from gold and XP.

Devil May LOL

02-26-2010

Quote:
Ahlen:
2 person mid is still better than solo mid, because it's easier to gank/assist outer lanes that way.

But LoL players seem stuck in their ways (Even if they're less effective) so whatever

you're kidding right?

The point of soloing mid is to get to lvl 6 quickly. Champs like tf/annie/karthus/anivia can gank effectively at this level to assist the other two lanes. Whereas if you let 2 person mid:

1/both will lvl up slowly, by the time you hit 6 everyone will be at 6, hence no gank whatsoever and no assist other lanes to speak of.

2/Let your top/bot solo, in dota it is ok because of the low mana pool people will not play aggressive early, however mana has never been an issue in lol. In addition with the brush on the side your solo will be harassed continuously if he ever gets close to his creep. This is true, in most game where I jungle as fiddle my top/bot lane solo always struggle and ends up lvl as the same rate as duo lane.

Morbis

02-26-2010

I didnt play much dota, but in the month or so I played HoN, I never saw anything but solo mid.

Nerdrage

Recruiter

02-26-2010

Most of the time physical carries aren't mid except in lower games.

Reason #1 you don't want a 2v1 mid are champions like Annie and Nidalee who, upon hitting 6, become substantially better than everybody else as long as you have that advantage. 2v1 mid pretty much leaves you at their burst-damage mercy, with annie flying in with aoe stun, single target nuke, more aoe nuke, more single target nuke, and ignite. It's rare for somebody to live through that when they're 2 levels lower.

Champions like sivir and corki have the similar effect, hence why they're often mid. Corki needs a level advantage to build up his carry status through gear. Sivir benefits from an earlier ult for better ganks and pushes, as well as fun with boomerang blade when you have that level advantage for hella damage. Karthus is an amazing mid too for his ult. See the trend? Ults make the mid. Same applies for Twisted Fate with tele-ganking.

Tristana makes a good solo, but definitely loses priority to the champs above, as well as a few others. Tristana scales primarily with gear, she could be a lot lower level, but as long as she has the gear to put out DPS, she's fine. You can farm side lanes nearly as effectively as mid.

Ashe and twitch are the least useful mids that are often seen, imo. Ashe is okay, because her ult is devastating if you manage to hit early from across the map. Twitch mid is a waste, as it leaves him less room to gank without mid being pushed. He's better as a side lane imo.

p.s. solo mid is common in dota too, and is usually given to characters with bomb ults like Zeus, and such. Much like it should be in LoL.