"solo mid" me:wha....?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

basement cat

02-26-2010

A few weeks into LoL I've always notice this; carry type hero with high endgame dps output gets to solo mid. anyone attempting to join mid is either blasted with vulgar languages or ridiculed at their intelligence.

Now in dota it is the exactly opposite. In a complete contrast to lol, people who declare solo mid are the one who gets ridiculed. It is usually 2 mage type hero who controls the mid lane.

It made perfect sense too. A healthy mid lane decreases the chance of opposing enemy hero from ganking since they would be spotted by the creeps. In addition the opposing team would often hesitate to push deeply into the side lanes if my mid lane is pushing deeply into theirs. Having a carry type hero who is inferior at lane control to mages to solo the important mid lane is a appalling thought.

With dota and LoL sharing many similarity, just how did the LoL community develop this consensus of having a carry soloing mid?

Insanious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-26-2010

solo mid = more xp and gold = more powerful carry = win

Ahlen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2010

2 person mid is still better than solo mid, because it's easier to gank/assist outer lanes that way.

But LoL players seem stuck in their ways (Even if they're less effective) so whatever

Xovar

02-26-2010

Generally speaking, whoever goes mid (at least with the old xp system) is going to be several levels above the other team with substantially more money. In LoL, a single buff carry can completely dominate a team fight, especially if they have the level and gear advantage.

Adrenicide

02-26-2010

It's important to have your solo in mid because solo is solo for farming reasons and farming reasons alone. Now that you have your farming carry in mid solo, he can easily move to bottom or top lanes and assist in a gank or easily have top or bottom lanes come to mid to assist in a gank at mid if the solo is struggling. It's solo mid because the map is bigger than dota and having teammates quickly moving from or to the mid lane is important.

RHINO Mk II

02-26-2010

1) The carry benefits from increased exp gain (not having to share it) and from higher potential gold farming (not having to share last-hits)
2) The middle lane is safer, and is thus more suitable for late-game powerhouses that are not as strong early game.
2a) The bushes to sneak attack from are farther from the creep battle.
2b) The towers are closer together, you have less distance to run.
3) As the game progresses, the carry is going to want to gank for kills. Being in the middle lane gives him 4 possible targets with a minimal walking distance instead of 1. (Assuming the people IN your lane are smart enough to avoid being ganked by you.)

Xovar

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahlen View Post
2 person mid is still better than solo mid, because it's easier to gank/assist outer lanes that way.

But LoL players seem stuck in their ways (Even if they're less effective) so whatever
I'd like to see a premade that put their solo in a side lane and two people mid, just to see how it would work out. Not sure that it would be better, but it would certainly be interesting to see.

MajorX17

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xovar View Post
I'd like to see a premade that put their solo in a side lane and two people mid, just to see how it would work out. Not sure that it would be better, but it would certainly be interesting to see.
I did this in a 4-man premade once. I was Nidalee sharing mid lane with the guy who wasn't in our premade as Mordekaiser. It only worked because our guys on top and bottom lanes were much better than the people they were laning against (our solo bot Ashe killed both of the Yi and Pirate she was against).

SlyGoat

02-26-2010

Um. Solo mid was the norm in DotA, too.

schleppy

02-26-2010

Because in the middle lane assuming you don't over-push it you are never outside of flash distance from your tower, where the top and bottom lanes you are and therefore are more easily ganked. On top of that with how small the map really is, you can go top to bottom or bottom to top in under a minute while staying out of sight and with the new xp changes wont get hurt as much in gaining xp by missing out on some creep xp to help gank someone 2 or 3 levels higher then you in the end. In the new meta game it is more rewarding to gank the higher level player then pick on the feeder.