Ghaan's BattlemageWick Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

QonnectioN

04-15-2011

This will probably be get downvoted a lot because people think I'm trolling but I main Warwick, and this is how I play him every match. And yes I need to deal with people flaming me in champ select, when I end up carrying them.

I'll make this guide very simple and easy to understand, I see alot of pro guides that like copy and paste the tooltip of every spell and how it scales each level. Sorry but I feel my guide will be ignored or laughed at by the majority and only useful for the select few who like to experiment unique builds, only to find them extremely effective.

Anyway here we go,

BattlemageWick Guide

Runes:
Quints - Greater Quintessence of Swiftness x3 (+4.5% Movement speed)
Seals - Greater Seal of Clarity x9 (+11 Mana Regen/5 at level 18)
Marks - Greater Mark of Insight x9 (+8.5 Magic Penetration)
Glyphs - Greater Glyph of Focus x9 (+5.89% Cooldown Reduction)

Masteries are 10-3-17 or 10-1-19
http://i54.tinypic.com/2m3mw0m.png

Masteries Explanation:

Offensive: Typical AP champ style masteries in the offensive tree. 9 points for 15% Magic Pen. Archaic Knowledge + Mpen Marks + Sorc boots allow your Q to do true damage to most enemy champions early-mid game. You get ignite for the +10 ap, which gives you +25 ap at level 1 with Doran's Ring.

Defensive: 3 or 1 point into Resistance, depending on if you want 1 or 3 points in Intelligence in the Utility tree. You get Resistance over Hardiness because your core item is Sunfire Cape, and you also have a very late game item being Zhonya's Hourglass.

Utility: Typical Utility Tree. Perseverance, Meditation, Doran's Ring. and Clarity Seals keeps you in lane forever, you can use Q to last hit or harass without having to worry about running out of mana. Most important here is the 3/3 Movement speed, that plus Movement speed quint glyphs allows you to quickly move up and down the lane to harass using Q.

Item Build + Order:

Core Items: Doran's Ring, Sorcerer's Boots, Sunfire Cape, Abyssal/Hourglass

Item Order:

Doran's Ring should keep you in lane until you get enough gold for a Giant's Belt. Most game, I can easily lane until I can get Giant's belt + Boots.

You finish Sunfire cape asap, usually before Sorc Boots. Once your Sunfire Cape is finished.

Complete your tier 1 boots into Sorc boots.

Afterwards, it's a choice between Zhonya's Hourglass or Abyssal Sceptor, depending on if your enemy team is magic or physical damage heavy. After finishing either Zhonya's or Abyssal, either build the one you didn't or go for a banshee's.

Item build explanation:

Doran's Ring - Perfect first item for Solo laning Warwick, mana regen to spam Q, Flat HP, and AP.

Sorc Boots - Provides enough Magic pen combined with masteries + runes for your Q to inflict true damage to all enemy champs early-mid game.

Sunfire Cape - Alot of your damage actually comes from this cape. You're main source of damage is you're Q. The goal as Battlemagewick is to be
tank enough to Q multiple times in a team fight, during it's cooldowns you're Sunfire cape is your main source of damage.

Zhonya's - Provides everything a Battlemagewick would want, AP, armor, and an awesome Active. Ulti into a group of 5, Q once and pop zhonya's, it's a great initiation technique because when you come out of the hourglass effect, you will be full health and Q will be off cooldown.

Abyssal - Great against magic damage heavy teams, also provides more magic pen for late game.

Optional Early/Mid game item - Spirit Visage

Summoner Spells:

Ghost: Movement speed is the key to any successful Warwick build.

Ignite: You're damage output is mainly from you're Q and Sunfire Cape, Ignite provides that little extra damage to finish off a target when you're Q is on cooldown.

Spell Order

Level 1: Q
Level 2: E
Level 3: Q
Level 4: W
Level 5: Q
Level 6: R

Past level 6, you will want to max Q asap by level 9, meanwhile maxing E. People argue that W is a more useful spell (the attack speed buff) but I usually don't find myself auto attacking often during fights, and level 1 is just fine for providing an attack speed buff to allies while pushing towers. The movement speed buff from E is extremely useful in combination with your utility masteries and Movement speed quints.

Laning:

Depending on your ELO, you will face a lot of flaming. When I used to play Battlemagewick in the 1600s, people actually let me solo mid or top. But due to quitting for 2-3 months, I've dropped down to 1400 where I face a troll nearly every game. If you're first or 2nd pick, you can try and call a solo lane and people will deal with it, otherwise just go bottom.

In a solo lane, you're Q is a great harass because of it's reasonable range. The fact that you can harass while heal is the key to fighting against ranged carries. That heal is what makes worth taking 1-2 auto attacks from a ranged carry because past level 4, you're magic pen allows your Q to inflict a lot more damage a squishy AD ranged carry would normally expect.

If you can get your opponent around 50%, you can kill him at level 6 with an Ult, Q, Ignite combo.

Team Fights:

You're job as BattlemageWick is NOT to be a 500+ AP superstar and try and build you're Q into some impressive nuke. More than anything you are a tanky DPS. Very similar to Ryze. Your Q is CONSISTENT damage output because of your survivability. If you have hourglass, you can initiate a team fight to your team's favor by Ult'ing their carry, follow by a Q and activate hourglass when you have the entire teams attention. By the end of hourglass you're Q should be coming up.

Your goal is to tank while dealing consistent damage and lifestealing with a powerful Hungering Strike, However you are not the main tank, you can still take a good amount of damage, so when you are low, you can easily run and bait while lifestealing with your Hungering Strike.

You should be taking advantage of your movement speed + powerful hungering strike life steal to bait constantly. Playing BattlemageWick will result in a lot of clutch Q's. Going in and out of team fights while baiting the entire team will win you team fights if your carries are carrying.

Hope my guide to a tanky/caster Warwick will come useful to someone out there. Enjoy Ghaan's BattlemageWick!

Unaware

04-15-2011

Quick question: what are the main differences between this and Guardsman Bob's lanewick build?

QonnectioN

04-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaware View Post
Quick question: what are the main differences between this and Guardsman Bob's lanewick build?
I actually get flamed a lot near 1500's. Most common insult I hear is "You are not Gaurdsman Bob".

I've played Warwick as a laner probably not longer than Guardsman Bob, but surely long before he's lanewick build was widely accepted by the public through his streams.

The main different between GB's warwick and mine is that I build Wick using AP/tanky items, while he goes straight for the core Spirit Visage and Banshees.

Needless to say, the Dorans ring starting item is influenced from GB's build

kwjnfkjsdg

04-16-2011

no lichbane? that would pretty much double your damage output.

relying on sunfire cape as your main source of dps is silly. 40 damage per second? that's the equivalent of a level 4 tristana with a doran's blade.

you should probably max out cooldown just so you can pump out as many Q's as possible since you have no other form of damage.

Thinkdealer

04-16-2011

Yeah sunfire does like... nothing. At all. Its like 25 or so damage after mres... barely tickles.

QonnectioN

04-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjnfkjsdg View Post
no lichbane? that would pretty much double your damage output.

relying on sunfire cape as your main source of dps is silly. 40 damage per second? that's the equivalent of a level 4 tristana with a doran's blade.

you should probably max out cooldown just so you can pump out as many Q's as possible since you have no other form of damage.
Reason for getting sunfire cape is the reason any tank gets sunfire cape, because you stay alive during team fights and although small, gives consistent damage throughout the entire fight. You're hungering strike is obviously your main source of damage

QonnectioN

04-20-2011

Bump, realized hextech revolver is an AWESOME mid game item for battlemagewick, will edit my guide when I don't have this spaghetti in my face. Too lazy atm XD

Sarvanaasha

04-20-2011

Why hourglass and Abyssal? With that build, u only get like +200 AP. and considering at max level most people have about 2500 health, ur Q already does 500, and ur AP (275+200) does nothing. Abyssal should be grabbed by a caster to fully use it. And this isnt a carry build, being attacked would be a good thing, as u would have healing and good defenses while ur team beats on them. if u want to do anything useful, then go either full tank or get something like madreds to help ur damage. Getting these BS items that you are buying w/o gaining any AP bonus is just stupid. Now, if u managed to gather 1000AP and were a squishy, that would be another story intirely

Spoontrix

04-20-2011

ITT: OP doesn't know difference between your and you're

MehrunesRazor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2011

that is some bull**** mage build,

red - magic pen
yellow- health per level or regen
blue - cool down reduction or mana, i say cd encase i go vlad
purple - not sure, move speed or health per level
green - ability power per level

BEST ITEMS THESE ARE THE BEST

-Mejai's Soulstealer ALWAYS GET THIS IF YOU WANT TO PWN, just stay in team fights to load it up to 180ap and 20%cd, it only costs 1200 gold! when a cape with 140ap costs 3600!

Rod of ages! very very good device buy the catalyst protector soon after boots

-abbysal scepter! is very usful but only iff there are 2 mages on enemy team if not **** it, it is good for extra magicpen.