Help me fix my terrible, terrible Jax playing!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Struz

02-26-2010

Something I forgot to mention: take cleanse! It has enabled me to successfully harass an Annie with her stun up and take advantage of other awkward situations. It also means that you can counter ignite. Jax tends to die when he's stunned and can't leap to safety so this helps a lot early game (and continues to help through the game).

EDIT:

Quote:
I usually go 1 point into empower and jump and the rest into dodge through level 5, offers the most survivability and lets you harass still as well as the dodge being pretty much the only way to protect yourself.
Personally I find that maxing dodge for the small extra percent isn't worth it over having a completely spammable jump. As soon as jump hits level 4 you can jump around like a cricket and annoy the heck out of your opponents. It also allows you to use the jump to get in AND out.

IrishDoom

02-26-2010

Does Doran's Shield build into anything useful for Jax, or is that something you just sell at some point?

Struz

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishDoom View Post
Does Doran's Shield build into anything useful for Jax, or is that something you just sell at some point?
If you do buy it (I don't always, depends on who is on their team) you keep it until end game when you just sell it to make room for your next item. This applies to all Doran's items and all characters.

Dazmen

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struz View Post
Something I forgot to mention: take cleanse! It has enabled me to successfully harass an Annie with her stun up and take advantage of other awkward situations. It also means that you can counter ignite. Jax tends to die when he's stunned and can't leap to safety so this helps a lot early game (and continues to help through the game).

EDIT:

Personally I find that maxing dodge for the small extra percent isn't worth it over having a completely spammable jump. As soon as jump hits level 4 you can jump around like a cricket and annoy the heck out of your opponents. It also allows you to use the jump to get in AND out.

Yeah basicly this. Spammable jump is good, use it and abuse it lol. The first level of counterstrike will be fine for awhile. I use cleanse and exhaust and it works out good....exhaust is optional but cleanse is NEEDED. Cleanse has saved me from having Morde's ult on me along with ignite countless times teh past few days.

NothingTooFancy

02-26-2010

As for skills, take Counterstrike first and let that 10% dodge work for you for awhile. After that max Leap Strike ASAP alternating with Empower. Once maxed you can start putting more into Counterstrike. All you get from putting points in Counterstrike is 2% dodge and some damage. Empower and Leap Strike reduce cooldown, increase damage, and decrease mana cost(?). These 2 skills also proc Rageblade, Sheen and your Ult (I think).

For items, I get boots with 3x health pots in the beginning because I want to rush Ninja Tabi as fast as possible. So yes, you do have to play pretty conservatively, especially against ranged teams, but you have 3 potions to keep you in the lane. These will boost your survivability sooo much. After this get Guinsoo's and you will be good to go. After that just go with whatever you feel right. Some items that are recommended would be: Malady/Bloodthirster, Infinity Edge, Banshee's Veil, Nashor's, Sheen, Lichbane, Tri-force, Phantom Dancer(although other options would be more beneficial).

So try this stuff out and hope it works for ya man!
Been playing Jax awhile and most games im 15+/5ish/10ish. He is a beast

Oh, I usually take Flash/Exhaust but Cleanse/Exhaust could probably be nice also. Ill try that sometime later.

IrishDoom

02-26-2010

I'm getting some great info here, thanks all. I did just start playing Jax as well, so this will help my learning curve.

xahhfink6

02-26-2010

I'm confused... are you all playing AP Jax? I see no reason to take empower until level 13 if you are playing Jax as an attack damage build... its not very good without the AP scaling and the Sheen procs, you are much better leveling your AoE stun and dodge chance (while focusing first on leveling your ult then jump of course)

ShogunPhil

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishDoom View Post
I'm glad to hear it's not totally me playing horribly. I'll try starting with Doran's, and play it pretty conservative. Even playing conservative, though, he seems to be a big target for the opposing team.

Now, once I get a few good items under my belt, everything changes, but early he has been tough to play.

He's definitely tough to play early game. If you are having that much trouble, getting the defensive mastery with the Plus 60HP and Three HP quints will start you off with +150HP, and a dorans will give you another +120, get shield for the regen, but keep in mind if you get doran's blade, its even more HP with his new passive. With +270 at lvl 1, you become a lot harder to harass.

Against 2 ranged heroes its hard, but if you and your lane partner focus on just harassing one, empower+leapstrike once you get to lvl 2, you should be able to keep them off you after a couple of empower+leapstrike hits. I tend to cast empower, and leapstrike to them and once i'm in the air, begin clicking back to my tower. This will let them get at most 2-3 hits on you. It tends to be a good trade because ranged heroes are generally squishier than you and do less base damage, after 2 or 3 times with this trade, you should be able to exhaust and go for the kill. This wouldnt be advised against heroes who have a stun and against an ashe or tryst its a lot harder because of frost arrows and explosive shot, but pick your fights and you should be able to out harrass them. If you have a killer combo, most players would have trouble with a doulbe stun, double slow, etc. ask for a ranged champion to switch with you.

just my thoughts.

IrishDoom

02-26-2010

I have both an AD and AP build written down, but I have yet to make a real choice as to which I prefer. I tend to enjoy having some lifesteal, so I may favor the AD build.

How do some of you like to build Jax?

MuscleMemory

02-26-2010

Don't always buy dodge boots, but buy them more often then any other

for dmg, get Ap first, rageblade works wonders and is only about 2k

after that there are some good options:

Trinity, Atmas, Bloodthirster

Trinity gives you everything you need, but at the cost of being expensive

Atmas gives you more survivability with a nice dmg boost

Bloodthirster gives you alot more dmg, with a nice health boost

The best jax is hybrid jax, because AP scales so well early game, but piss poor late game... use that to your advantage since jax has great AP ratios.