An easy, elegant solution to leavers in solo ranked.

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sharpsh00ta7

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-15-2011

After just having my 5th leaver in 2 days (altho i have been playing like crazy these last 2 days) and no leavers on the enemy team I am a little enraged over why nothing has been done to minimise impact on games with leavers. Thats about 70 rating from leavers in 2 days. /endrant and to the solution.

First off, Riot can't stop leavers. Putting them in a different pool or banning them doesnt really solve the problem as new people are hitting level 30 everday and also sometimes that leaver just had a bad internet day so perma ban would be horrible. However just because player has bad internet should not mean ruined game for the rest of the team here are some simple dot points that will make people much happier or at least less angry when leavers are on their team.

1. Leavers will lose double the normal ranking for a loss.
2. Anyone that qued with the leaver will recieve a normal -ranking for a loss.
3. Players on the nonleaver side recieve a slightly reduced ranking gain to prevent ranking inflation. I think this is not unfair as they truly dont deserve a full win because they played an almost guaranteed victory.
4. Players on the leavers team that did not que with the leaver will recieve NO negative ranking.

In the rare case of a leavers team winning:
1. The leaver will recieve no ranking gain.
2. The losing team(with a full team) will recieve the normal negative ranking for a loss. They should not recieve extra negative ranking, it is not their fault for a leaver on opponents team.
3. Winning team(except leavers) recieves a light bonus to their ranking gain. This bonus is partly because they won against the odds, but mostly to prevent ranking deflation.

In cases with 1 or more leavers on BOTH teams these rules can easily be suited and it would only be a matter of hours to come up with solutions for all scenarios. Please leave a comment as I definelty would like to know what you think of these easy steps. Also there are probably somethings that wouldnt work /could be abused that would be good if you pointed out.

In the case of unintentional D/C's or bad lag days that cause disconnections I do not think this system would be overly punishing to these people. The way I see it there are 2 cases of nonmalicious d/c's; The person that d/cs often due to bad internet/computer, and the person that d/c's very rarely (perhaps to to power outage). For a person that d/c's often I truly believe they should not be playing ranked and hence deserve the extra punishment, if you cant have consistenly stable games you should not be ruining the game for others. In the case of rare d/cs then that would be say once every 100 games or more, resulting in less than 2% overall rating change. Also an additonal, seperate system could be put in place where a player could leave a game and not take the double punishment (only the usual -rating for a loss) that depended on his/her track record. For instance for every 200 (give or take) games a player plays with no leaves, he will be forgiven for 1 leave, taking only a normal ranking loss rather than the proposed severe ranking loss.

EDIT: In reply to the below poster: I went back through the points I made and you are definetly right, in the case of a leavers team winning if someone qued with the leaver they should recieve ranking as this could in no way be abused. This was an oversight by me.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LukeeSkywalk

Senior Member

04-15-2011

Just pointing this out, but punishing someone who queued with a leaver is just bad form. I had a bad internet day, and my friend managed to beast and win the game anyway, but he doesn't get a rating change? I understand the system could be abused, but it is hard enough to win a 4v5 that if that's how people want to play it, I say let em go for it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sir Blazin Blunt

Junior Member

04-15-2011

3. Players on the nonleaver side recieve a slightly reduced ranking gain to prevent ranking inflation. I think this is not unfair as they truly dont deserve a full win because they played an almost guaranteed victory

This is dumb. Everyone would ragequit when getting roflstomped, so the opposing team gets less rank. Even if the leavers do lose double rank for leaving, *******s are *******s and if they are willing to leave they probably don't care anyways.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cLHx1

Member

04-15-2011

Hey man, i appreciate what youre trying to do, but ive been on this forum for a lil bit now, and i honestly dont think RIOT even looks at these posts...

the forums are here to explain server status, and to present everybodys qq so riot doesnt have to deal with it


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sharpsh00ta7

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Blazin Blunt View Post
3. Players on the nonleaver side recieve a slightly reduced ranking gain to prevent ranking inflation. I think this is not unfair as they truly dont deserve a full win because they played an almost guaranteed victory

This is dumb. Everyone would ragequit when getting roflstomped, so the opposing team gets less rank. Even if the leavers do lose double rank for leaving, *******s are *******s and if they are willing to leave they probably don't care anyways.
I see your point where a troll may deliberatly leave so the opposing team gains less ranking.

However if a team already has a leaver (almost guaranteeing a loss) I seriously doubt the genuine players would also leave. My rules say that they would lose no ranking and so have no solid reason to quit.

Trolls that deliberatly leave to lower gain for the opposing team would lose double rating EVERY game and so would drop to a very very low ranking very quickly.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LuckSkillVictory

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-16-2011

Would be abusable by people trying to climb the ranks at the top of the ladder if they happen to que with a teammate on a smurf. the clg players are already abusing the fact they can que with someone that is a 2.2k elo player on a 1600 account to make games significantly easier than they should be.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sharpsh00ta7

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFonzi View Post
Would be abusable by people trying to climb the ranks at the top of the ladder if they happen to que with a teammate on a smurf. the clg players are already abusing the fact they can que with someone that is a 2.2k elo player on a 1600 account to make games significantly easier than they should be.
Are my points not clear? Or did you not read them? Anyone that that ques with a leaver is penalised precisely to prevent this kind of abuse.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LuckSkillVictory

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsh00ta7 View Post
Are my points not clear? Or did you not read them? Anyone that that ques with a leaver is penalised precisely to prevent this kind of abuse.
You didn't read what i said. If you watch top end streams ~1/3rd the time the end up hitting a teammate or friend who is not queing with them.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sharpsh00ta7

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFonzi View Post
You didn't read what i said. If you watch top end streams ~1/3rd the time the end up hitting a teammate or friend who is not queing with them.
Aa ok now i realise what you mean. However I still dont think this could be abused too much as anyone that deliberatly left to give no ranking loss to a friend would be double penalised making them drop into a different bracket quickly enough to not be able to boost their friend too high.

"Trading" wins wouldnt work either because they would lose 2x the elo for every 1x win they got.

Of course you are right, this could be abused, However it can only be abused in the same manner as how high elo ranked can be abused as you described, with the added bonus of being twice as hard because of the double elo loss for a leave.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dthxaire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

04-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsh00ta7 View Post
1. Leavers will lose double the normal ranking for a loss.
2. Anyone that qued with the leaver will recieve a normal -ranking for a loss (*If they don't win*)
3. Players on the nonleaver side recieve a slightly reduced ranking gain to prevent ranking inflation. I think this is not unfair as they truly dont deserve a full win because they played an almost guaranteed victory.
4. Players on the leavers team that did not que with the leaver will recieve NO negative ranking.

In the rare case of a leavers team winning:
1. The leaver will recieve no ranking gain.
2. The losing team(with a full team) will recieve the normal negative ranking for a loss. They should not recieve extra negative ranking, it is not their fault for a leaver on opponents team.
3. Winning team(except leavers) recieves a light bonus to their ranking gain. This bonus is partly because they won against the odds, but mostly to prevent ranking deflation.
*Fixed*
He's BANG ON. Best ideas I've heard, and level headed too.
Very good idea man.


12