Ap gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Peebs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-25-2010

Im not sure if there are any guides out there describing how to play AP gangplank but I have been playing around with this build since pre-patch when parrley was amazing. Gangplank has definitely been nerfed since then and I felt it was an appropriate time to share with everyone how to play an AP gangplank and be effective. A lot of people laugh and hate whenever they hear about playing gangplank AP but it is actually very effective in a team oriented game and can change the outcome.

The guide consists of using lichbane and crit chance runes and having parrley at a 40% cooldown to keep it effective still but the main point of the build is to lure and spread the enemy team apart by being focused and kiting them with ghost and remove scurvy (1.0 ap ratio) and destroying the enemy with a buffed cannon barrage.

In no way is this the best way to play gangplank in all situations but it is very effective and sometimes a better way to play him. Helpful criticism is welcomed and please feel free to check out the full guide here:

http://www.leaguecraft.com/strategie...bs%27+A+P+lank

P.s. the guide is not complete because I am busy with school but a lot of people have started to dislike gangplank post-patch and I just wanted to give everyone another way to play him. The guide will be updated as soon as I can and is just a rough outline right now. All suggestions are welcome. Please +rate and leave comments.

Bodknocks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-25-2010

I don't know, I just don't see the point. Relying on scurvy as a heal just means you are less likely to have your cleanse up when you need it -- whenever I see a gangplank use remove scurvy I usually take that opportunity to harass or stun/snare. And yeah the extra damage on canon balls is great and all but that's really the only thing benefiting from going AP. It just seems like a huge waste.

I understand the need to try different and unique builds on certain characters but AP Gangplank is just really bad, I don't know why you would ever do that when there are plenty of other excellent ways to build him.

Peebs

Recruiter

02-25-2010

Remove Scurvy is still used as a cleanse but with the low cooldown it doubles as a heal. There were a lot of excellent ways to build gangplank before and I got bored of the typical build and played around with AP and it worked. Now after the patch a lot of people are having a hard time building gangplank with the same success so this is another way. 99% of the time I get negative feedback about playing AP pirate but it has worked wonders for me so I suggest people actually try it in a few games (more than 1) before they just say it is a bad idea. People probably thought AP sion was stupid the very first time they saw it and look at it now.

EDIT: Feel free to add me Peebs to your buddy list and we can play and you can see first hand and then judge the build.

BoomFrog

02-26-2010

Seems like a bad idea but I'll try to take it seriously.

If you are using ghost to kite enemies then you are playing against bad players. In a team fight when you activate ghost and start running they should immediately turn their attention away from you. Also it is on a 4 minute cooldown so it won't be up for every team fight.

Two Zonya's rings? The unique doesn't stack so your wasting money, Archangels staff or Rod of Ages would be better but this is a last item for a long game slot. Hmm, maybe Rylies? 80Ap and gives your parrlay a good slow?

Deathfire grasp is an excellent choice for a last item in a long game for any AP hero.

Nashor's tooth seems a truly lame choice, AS is not helping you almost at all, and "stack AS" without AD is one of the worst plans ever. I'd get Frozen heart for the CRD and extra armor multiplying the effectiveness of your hp, the offensive aura's great too.

FeLpZ

02-26-2010

uhh... i can maybe, MAYBE see him as ap before parleyyy was physical

Arlando

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeLpZ View Post
uhh... i can maybe, MAYBE see him as ap before parleyyy was physical
and even then ap had very little effect on parley. now? this is a guide from the server of dr moreau.

Arai Kitsune

02-26-2010

While this guy may have gone about it the wrong way, don't discount it so quickly. I played around with a build for AP Gangplank about two weeks ago, and I found it was successful, possibly moreso than crit.

Basically, you need a Lichbane, Rod of Ages, Frozen Heart, Deathfire Grasp, and then Frozen Mallet/Rod of Ages/Abyssal Scepter/Zonhya's Ring. Rylai's will not work with Parrley.

The idea is, you last longer in the lane early on, and can harass more often and last hit more often/heal more. By midgame, you won't deal quite as much damage as the wtf crits, but you should be averaging out respectable damage per shot, and you will be far tankier than the crit build. The gap between crit and AP for Parrley damage is rather small once you have Lichbane, and your ult will have far more potential damage.

Mesa H

02-26-2010

Trying different new builds are fine with me, but i think there's no best build for every single game, AP gangplank maybe nice for some teams which has enough physical dps on the side, imo, AP gangplank sidesteps a bit and goes doesn the assit road, i won't ignore the build totally , but i'll have to see some more of these to be sure.

btw, new builds seems to be emerging quite often these few weeks, perhaps most ppl are bored with the old ones, one of the more successful ones these days maybe the low AP build ryze which boosts his mana pool for overload instead of a typical AP build , coz of his low AP ratio skills now. it works pretty well imo, dunno if anyone agrees.

Peebs

Recruiter

02-26-2010

Thank you for some positive feedback for once and Akaikaze has it dead on the style of play I am talking about even though our builds are different the main concept is there. I agree two zhonya doesn't stack but that was just my 6th item which I have never gotten to and I threw in all the possible options. As for nashors tooth it is actually a very good item because it does give u the nice cooldown reduction a good amount of AP which is really important since you need that to boost your parrley to a respectable amount and the AS is actually not bad when used with raise morale and a nice 18% crit chance. I dislike the idea of frozen heart because it does not give AP and I just feel you can't waste an item slot with something that doesn't give AP. On the otherhand I have been building deathfire grasp after lichbane recently and I feel that is a really good or even better option as my 4th item and then probably void staff/zhonya as my 5th and 6th items. As far as rod of ages goes I feel it would just be built too late in the game to reach its full potential since lichbane and meja are a must build first items.

Honestly thank you for the positive feedback and Akaikaze for fully understanding the concept even if we have slightly different builds which every1 has because of preference.

Keep the discussions going and I will make changes to the guide and hopefully we will see more "noob" AP planks running around haha.

jedininjaman

02-26-2010

Nope, AP is worthless on gang. You take out parley, you take out him as a threat on the field.