Riot Signs a League of Legends Publisher in Southeast Asia

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rmandraque

02-26-2010

With all honesty even though im not affected by this, **** you riot!

They better have the exact same characters, lvls, and runes when they log into the SEA serves. If they dont i quit this game.

For i am Death

02-26-2010

money is the obvious reason behind this... but isnt there a better way? one where u get to earn more money without having to kick us out? dont u undestand? why the f*** would we want to be localized? dont u think we've had enough of ourselves already?! i mean c'mon... why not make it a choice.. please

RatBoweR

02-26-2010

login LOL today thinking of playing a few games b4 I am ban. But starting to chat with NA friends and we talk and talk and talk. then together we play as a team and owned. sadly, got to leave my friendship with them as i be ban soon.
(cough)thnx(cough) Riot for making this awesome decision that break the bond that we have. it was a sad bye bye.

Farewell to all my friends and hope to see u guys at HON soon.

Nicene

02-26-2010

As the original post stated, they are being forced by their SEA regional distributor to block all the SEA IPs. Riot evidently negotiated, and they lost. I can only assume they got something big in return...

Still, these seems like very poor terms for Riot, as the current accounts from SEA are probably some of the most lucrative ones available from that region of the world, and they're going to alienate a lot of their NA players who can no longer play with their friends/relatives from countries affected by the deal.

I would expect that the rights to the current SEA LoL accounts were the prime item on the bargaining table, and the SEA distributor must have fought hard to get them, as Riot would obviously want to keep as many clients on their NA servers as possible. I'm sure Riot would choose to give SEA players the option to select their servers, if it were possible, but they are stuck in their contract. From my perspective, it doesn't seem like a smart decision at all for Riot; the SEA distributor must be giving them a HUGE royalty or something for Riot to agree to this.

Notwithstanding all of the above, I still think the move was executed very poorly, especially since no advance notice was given and the sense of the notifying post was fairly condescending. Do I understand correctly that people from SEA tried to log in one day and simply got a message saying that they were proscribed from playing? I would have expected more from a company that claims to pride itself on customer service and international spirit. Hopefully they'll try to patch things up with their lost customers in SEA by getting their accounts and so forth transferred. It is Riot's intellectual property, after all, and they should get some say in the matter.

Darkassj

02-26-2010

Here we go again, bearly the mess with Eu and Goa has settled, they stir up more ****.

Well i guess since the population is smaller and the name of SEA publisher doesnt have as much bad reputation as Goa, Riot just politly says F.Y.

Will they refund the currency exchange loses as well ?

Very least accounts should have transfered, but ofcourse no planing or fortought went into this decision.

Big middle finger to Riot on this.

michael96

02-26-2010

ask us to support and now kick our ass? GREAT!!!

NGD1

02-26-2010

So stupid.
Talk about cultural segregation!
So for the last nearly 6 months that we have been playing on the US server, making friends ec is all for nought.
And the people that travel reguarly from East to West, can just get screwed!
People should have the choice of which server they play on.
You can simply log their IP address and charge them a prorated fee.

Extremly disapointed with your attitude towards cross cultural playing.

Oh and where does Australia fit into things? As they share time zones closely with Asia, so now when they play on the US server, barely anyone will be online.

So very disapointed!!

azritan

02-26-2010

This really makes me very sad.

The point of this game Riot, isn't the uber awesome gameplay or champions or being super leet.

It's about the FRIENDS. I'm going to hell sure miss the people I play with from the US. At the end of the day, LoL is still a team game and nothing beats downing a nexus with buddies on vent, even if it means waking up at 3am in the morning to play.

Given the way DotA isn't noob friendly in SEA, I really fear for anyone new joining LoL in SEA. Neither do I envisage it will catch on given the 'fierceness' of SEA players - see Garena DotA.

Also, food for thought, can we actually have a choice to stay in the NA server? I don't understand why you guys can't do like what WoW did, allow us to choose servers. For example, even though I am from Singapore, I chose to play on the NA WoW server instead of Oceania.

Oh well, time to get a life and crawl out of my grotto. Goodbye Corki, Rammus, Annie skins.

KathleenKoh

02-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzminkey View Post
obviously the new publisher will be providing the servers...

Well done on compensating them. I hope it includes an XP and IP boost so they don't have to grind that much.

Dear KathleenKoh,

We are excited let you know that Riot Games has entered a partnership with a Southeast Asian publisher which lives up to the Riot standard of awesomeness, and as such, we have granted them exclusive rights to League of Legends in Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore and the Philippines. Unfortunately, this means that players in those countries will be restricted from the US servers, so that we can ensure that they receive the highest quality play experience available.

Our first thoughts in signing this agreement were what would happen to our loyal players. We would like to thank you for your loyal support of our game, and let you know about some of the things that you will receive as part of this transition.

· First priority beta access to the new servers
· Lower latencies
· Simplified payment processes
· Personalized customer support
· A tailored gameplay experience

Thank you for your continued support and understanding. We look forward to seeing you once again on the Fields of Justice. Feel free to reply to this email with any questions you may have.

- Alex
“Skribbles”

Well this is what they give as compensation for a level 30 account with 3/5 of the characters unlocked and 1 full page of tier 3 runes that is critical strike chances,armour penetration.They are really sincere in compensating,NOT EVEN A SINGLE IP/EXP BOOST well you go to love starting from level 1 without them.
Suggestions to all ASIAN players... Uninstall LOL play HON/DOTA/DREAM OF THREE ANCIENT KINGDOMS,so many more other LOL/DOTA style games don't hog on to LOL they aren't interested in thinking for their LOYAL players.
Sealing us from NA server only mean to say,"SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR NA BUDDIES YOU NORMALLY PLAY WITH" and then go to the ASIAN SERVER and restart from level 1 and start from scratch and then waste another few months or weeks of your time to get back to that level and then they tell you the server starts to lag,the game developers are short-handed and then you give up on the game and you change so why not just change before you waste time and money on a game that you are bound to give up... Heed the advice and you may not and most probably will not regret that decision.

ADD ON:I played without any lag or spikes or whatever errors when playing with NA LOL so the "Lower latencies" is redundant,"First priority beta access to the new servers" well I guess your close beta account will get axed during OPEN BETA,"A tailored gameplay experience" oh wow they are actually going to help me find new friends?"Simplified payment processes" how simple?You still go through credit card or you need to go down to a shop to buy the riot point card and then when there's an error you go call their hotline and they transfer you to "Personalized customer support" who tells you they will look into it, meanwhile wait for their reply which they most probably won't give a thought about it and then there goes your money.TELL ME IS THERE ANY THING THAT REALLY COMPENSATES ME IN THIS 5 COMPENSATION?HONESTLY NO. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

43PERCENTburnt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2010

Good times. 8D