Riot Signs a League of Legends Publisher in Southeast Asia

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 22
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ByronicHero

Web Content Editor

Follow ByronicHero on Twitter

02-25-2010
1 of 7 Riot Posts

Attention, League of Legends players!

Riot Games has signed a distribution agreement with a publisher in Southeast Asia! While we cannot yet reveal the specifics, we are extremely excited at the prospect of being able to offer a higher quality experience to players in this territory through our new partner.

Through this partnership, we will be able to offer Southeast Asia its own, unique League of Legends experience. In addition to a localized client, we aim to be able to provide increased accessibility to Southeast Asian players through features and promotions specifically geared towards the residents of this region. We also hope to advance League of Legends to many new players in the area, including a large number of veteran DotA players.

Unfortunately, this does mean that, as of February 25th, players located in Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, and the Phillipines will be blocked from the North American servers as part of our publishing agreement. All of these players have received a refund in full for any purchases they have made, and each has received a personal email from Riot Games explaining the situation, and offering a code redeemable for additional exclusive content once their local servers go live.

We believe that this will be an exciting opportunity for League of Legends to achieve even greater success in a new market, and to provide a high-quality, competitive gaming experience to a much larger number of Southeast Asian players.

Sefam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2010

GOGOGOGO RIOT!

Show those Asians what we're capable of! <3

Out of concern though, what happens to competitive play with these people?

EDIT: What I mean by that is "Doesn't they get entirely cut up from the potential NA competitive play?"

Arlando

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefam View Post
GOGOGOGO RIOT!

Show those Asians what we're capable of! <3

Out of concern though, what happens to competitive play with these people?

EDIT: What I mean by that is "Isn't they get entirely cut up from the potential NA competitive play?"
kekekekkekekekeke zerg rush

WildJervis

02-25-2010

Methinks you should work on stabilizing the servers you have before setting up new ones.

Tiranui

02-25-2010

LoL is pretty popular o-o

Jazzminkey

02-25-2010

obviously the new publisher will be providing the servers...

Well done on compensating them. I hope it includes an XP and IP boost so they don't have to grind that much.

rogerchew

Adjudicator

02-25-2010

oy...feel bad for those players. now they are blocked from North american servers. this is exactly what pissed people off about GOA in europe? why didn't Riot learn?!!?

WildJervis

02-25-2010

I meant no disrespect towards riot by saying that. Even if the new publisher does provide the servers, does it not mean an increased workload for the current riot employees? Things seem to be going fairly slowly right now as it is.

Now obviously I could be wrong, and as I said before, I mean no disrespect towards riot, I love that they're providing us with an excellent free game. I'm just asking honest questions

DeadDonkey

02-25-2010

Interesting decision by Riot.

If you segregate the player base like this, how do you expect people to run competitive international tournaments like we see in DotA?

To me, this appears to be another sign that Riot is targeting the casual market and I don't blame them because, given their financial model, that is where the money is.

Jazzminkey

02-25-2010

The GOA deal was a little different. It wasn't a term of their contract (that I am aware of) and they were not compensating players (that I am aware of).

The segregation of the severs will help localize languages and thus create better cooperative communities overseas.

The competitive scene will still be viable as we can compete on the US servers. I'm sure Riot and others will host international invitational League of Legends tournaments in the distant future to keep the international competitive community alive and kicking.

1234511 ... 22