Attack Speed Item on Rammus: Which One?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

True Bandito

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2010

Usually I build Rammus like a tank since I always tank for the team. However, there are times when our team totally dominates the other team, and I want to make Rammus burn down towers and creeps faster so we can win earlier. I think the easiest way to do it is to get an attack speed item to complement his naturally high damage.
I am currently stuck between choosing either Madred's Bloodrazor (much easier to burn down high HP heroes and has some AD and armor boost), Nashor's Tooth (good AP, as well as awesome CDR which means more PB and Taunt in a fight), and Sword of the Divine (cheapest single item which gives 55% AS, as well as 100 magic bonus damage per 4 attacks and 30 armor penetration while activated for 5 secs).

The reason I chose these three is because not only they have attack speed, they can help me to burn down towers better with either AD, AP, or Armor Penetration. Crit is useless against towers so no Phantom Dancer.

Thoughts? I just think Rammus should have at least one attack speed item depending on the circumstances.

Also, does the activated Sword of the Divine affect tower's armor?

True Bandito

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2010

I think I got it guys. Since both passive and active skills (bonus 100 damage and armor reduction, specifically) of Sword of the Divine can work on structures, I think I will choose it over the other two. Cheers.

Kritara

02-25-2010

Phantom Dancer, faster move speed(stacks with powerball), dodge(better tanking), crit(which if your built tank means your hard hits because of your armor can do double damage), and well attack speed( what you requested). But no it's not cheap either.

TaigaStance

Recruiter

02-25-2010

It's my belief, that if you're giving Rammus attack speed for the sole purpose of taking out a tower, then you're doing it wrong.
Rammus doesn't need attack speed. He simply rolls in, armor up, tremors. It'll take out any half HP tower.
You shouldn't be trying full HP towers unless you have someone else there attacking, otherwise your tremors will only take out about half the HP.

Forget attack speed. It's hardly noticeable on Rammus.

Zidian

02-25-2010

If you just had to go with one and had infinite money, I"d go with the madred's. It gives you the best bang for your buck. Attack speed, dmg, magic dmg passive, and armor which synergizes well with the passive on Rammus.

Soupypoops

02-25-2010

I have personally had the most fun/success going with an all-armor build on Rammus...

Thornmail, Sunfire Cape, Warden's Mail, throw in some other pieces for a mix of +HP/+AP/+MR depending on what you're up against.. then you just taunt them, then throw up your shield and your ultimate.

At level 18 here's what this will look like, assuming that the person never even chose to attack you (which would be the smart thing :P), just counting the 3 seconds that taunt gives you, assuming they have an attack speed of 1.5, though this works better for faster attackers...

3 pops damage from Sunfire Cape (~150)
4.5 attacks * 50 from Defensive Ball Curl (~225)
25% of 4.5 attacks from Thornmail (~200)
3 pops from Tremors (~600)

I estimated ~200 on the Thornmail as a kind of average, would be ~100 up to whatever, best used as a counter to any melee DPS. All of this damage scales up vs. people with increased melee DPS and attack speed especially, but, conservatively you're looking at 1200 damage just for initiating combat via taunt.

Pop your ball curl for an extra 300 damage and 60% movement reduction and you stand to gain another 1000 damage from the last 5 seconds of your ultimate if you stay on them, as well as another 250 from sunfire cape assuming that they're just running at this point, and not counting you even basic attacking.

The point being, that this Rammus build that can initiate a fight and dump all of his cooldowns for 2500 damage by focusing entirely on DEFENSE. You can pretty easily get 80% physical damage reduction and 50% magic damage reduction (or some other mix if you're fighting someone else) not counting defensive ball curl bonuses. 80% physical damage reduction also means +~100 or so attack damage which is a nice extra little punch.

That's how I play him anyways. Call your targets, initiate the fights and since you're liable to have at least 3 people on your team that are spec'd as hard as they can to go for ganks you will be swimming through them.

Just don't forget magic resist or someone will eventually notice and pop you. :P

But in response to your specific posts, I think that between Rammus' passives and his skill setup you benefit yourself almost as much offensively but just buying defensive items (something like Thornmail becomes +100 Armor, +25 Attack, plus the passive). Combo'd with a solid laning partner taunt will own without you ever really being in danger.

fgfg

08-25-2012

ok