Alistar Nerfs not mentioned, whats going on Riot?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2010

Okay, we understand that Alistar was considered a bit imba for a while, and you "i guess" appropriately nerfed his pulverize stun duration. But this patch went a bit too far.

So lets first cover the lateral nerfs mentioned in this patch:

#1 - Sheen now only does 80% base damage. Okay this isn't so bad, but hinders Alistars staple farming item for most standard builds. He was required to run with this as it was his only way to farm last hits to earn enough gold for 3-4 items in a game, vs. 1-2.

#2 - Cooldown nerf to Flash. Yes everyone runs flash, but it is more or less a necessity on Alistar. Not so bad also, but still pretty annoying.

Okay but this is where I have an issue, as these were "ghost" changes to the way Alistar functions in game:

A) - You can no longer chain a Pulverize to hit a champion after a successful Headbutt connection. This previously 'intended' functionality Alistar had, also a mana intense combo for him, is no longer possible. Was this another 'intended' fix? It just seems bizarre. Also now, you may not have noticed, but if he trys to use pulv while getting stunned @ the same time, it goes on cool-down and doesn't stun the target. This is also very bad.

B) - You can no longer punch someone in the air right after a headbutt connects.. This used to be a nice way to sneak damage in, now headbutt harrasment is less useful as well, specially with the sheen nerf, and now that it doesn't work, Alistar is just a one-trick pony.

Alistar is still a great healer and team disrupter, but has much less potential to be a damage force and has lost a bit of his original initiation potential (at least short cd potential to initiate) as he was in some ways with a specific play style and item focus prior to this patch.

No Cow Level

02-25-2010

You do realize that one of the new talents is going to reduce flash's cooldown by like 20%, correct?

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2010

im not talking about the future, I am talking about now, and as I mentioned, its the 'ghost' nerfs to Alistars skill functionality that is the real issue. He is still great but this was a bit much to nerf ali as the total package that is Alistar got the shaft.

Judah the Lion

02-25-2010

Nico, you can still do the head-butt hit and the mini-force, the timing is just different. Land the Pulverize way later, almost a whiff. It'll pop them.

Riot has been messing with his functionality under the table though from patch to patch, and I'm not a huge fan of the ninja tactics when altering champs.

Unfortunately, yeah, most of all that hurt Ali's combo and damage potential with Sheen, but it's not that bad. It's only like a %8 nerf hit from 100, at worst.

It's kind of interesting because I have noticed how they have been pushing Pulv's timing further and further away from Head-butt when using the mini-force combo. 4 patches ago you had to hit pulv. before head-butt, then it was a split-second after, then a few frames after, now it's way~ after.

Maybe this is Riot's way of bringing Ali "down to par" so to speak, with the other tanks, but I simply don't like it. It takes away from the depth of Alistar, and SOMEBODY needs some depth in this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Cow Level View Post
You do realize that one of the new talents is going to reduce flash's cooldown by like 20%, correct?
Which is going to be what, 300 seconds after they bomb Flash some more?

nicosharp

02-25-2010

haha, wow glad to hear it still works, I tried it about 10 times in 2 diff games, and tried diff timings, i couldnt figure it out. will test more. This is at least the third time they have changed the timing, so odd that they keep doing this. Why dont they do this **** to pick a card ffs. thanks for the update.

Judah the Lion

02-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
haha, wow glad to hear it still works, I tried it about 10 times in 2 diff games, and tried diff timings, i couldnt figure it out. will test more. This is at least the third time they have changed the timing, so odd that they keep doing this. Why dont they do this **** to pick a card ffs. thanks for the update.
Hmm, I don't really know their reasoning, can't imagine, but there's a part of me that thinks it's just a byproduct of the ever-changing, whatever coding the champions run on, while the id of me just thinks ninja nerfs. /shrug

Yeah, just focus on letting a little more of the Head-butt animation ride out before you attempt the Pulverize, again almost to the point where you think it'll miss. It's getting pretty strict, but it still works.

Khristophoros

The Council

02-25-2010

Alistar has been one of the best characters since beta started. This has never changed and probably never will. His design makes him so reliable of a pick you can't go wrong.

Techno Stud

02-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristophoros View Post
Alistar has been one of the best characters since beta started. This has never changed and probably never will. His design makes him so reliable of a pick you can't go wrong.
Unless you nerf all of his abilities into the ground so bad that you can't do his signature Tower guarding move: Flash, Pulverize, Headbutt into tower.

Have you tried this recently?

Alistar had three things going for him: 1) Flash - Pulverize, 2) Pulverize - Headbutt, and 3) Extra damage from Sheen

His damage sucks, period. It has always sucked. Sheen mitigated this, in a reasonable way. Flash-Pulverize was like his signature move...and that has been nerfed into the ground between the increased cooldown on Flash and the decreased stun on Pulverize. People complained that gave Malphite the shaft, but Malphite is a tank 100% of the time while Alistar is only a tank in 6-10 second bursts every minute or so. Finally, I can't even Pulverize-Headbutt into my tower anymore. The stun isn't long enough to get around the enemy champ.

So yes, in closing...Riot is pushing Alistar in the direction of wussy group heal. And I think it's effing bull****.

Aknar

02-25-2010

when I play against alistar I feel that after he used one of his combo pieces he is just a moving rock,and he should be completely ignored,riot staff could give him no auto attack and infinite armor and MR,and it wouldn't make a big difference

Techno Stud

02-25-2010

Bc that is all he is. His combos are all he has. Now he's just a moving rock that occasionally group heals.