[GUIDE]Mordekaiser - DPS/Survivability Chaser

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skyllus

02-24-2010

Here is a better version of the guide with fancy links/pictures and such (recommended): http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...ty+Mordekaiser

Introduction

This guide will build Mordekaiser into a DPS Chaser who will rely on survivability to be able to get the job done. I'll cover both laning with team-mates and soloing mid (Morde is a very competent mid solo), and will include some different variations on the build for you to try.

This guide will NOT make you invincible, nor will it make you an initiator or a nuker. Your role will be to chase down enemies and help in ganks, along with some tower diving to finish enemies off.

I will not be including Runes/Masteries since I don't feel it is too big of an issue with Mordekaiser and most people don't have the IP sitting around to change runes anyways. Each mastery tree serves a good purpose for Mordekaiser so any can work.

Pros/Cons

Pros:
Great Survivability
Good Damage
Good Harass
One of the best farmers in the game, early to late
Excellent Chaser once we get Frozen Mallet

Cons:
Squishy early game when shield is not up
No form of crowd control at all
No nuke

Abilities

Iron Man - This is your passive, the max HP on it isn't too great but it will enable you to tower dive and stay in your lane longer than most characters.

Mace of Spades - A chain-lightning which gives a decent damage boost. Can sometimes be used to chain across to a low HP champ on the run.

Creeping Death - Not that great of an ability but you'll still be casting it whenever it is up in teamfights, as the damage does add up.

Siphon of Destruction - Mordekaiser's bread and butter. You'll use this to farm, chase, and harass. The range is great, and the damage dealt to champions is pretty good early game as a harass. I've gotten a lot of kills chasing with this ability and hitting right on the edge of the cone. Oh yeah, it also pretty much charges your passive shield to full when used on creep waves.

Children of the Grave - Your ultimate and a decent DoT. You probably won't even recognize the healing that comes your way, what you're really going for is finishing off kills. If the person you cast this on dies, you get their spirit at the position that they just died. You can (and should) control the spirit separately with Alt+Right Click. The best part about the spirits are that they take on any weapon effects you have. This will be HUGE when we combine it with a Frozen Mallet later in the guide.

Summoner Abilities

Ignite - This is a must have. Popping your ult then ignite will ensure a lot of kills that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise and will also mean extra kills as you do work with your spirit. I don't think any Mordekaiser can really afford to not run Ignite, regardless of how you are building him.

From there it is really your personal preference. I personally like to run Cleanse since getting CC'd can be a nightmare for Mordekaiser since you cannot use your Siphon to get your shield back up if you are stunned and you have no counter-stun to handle chasers when you are slowed. Ghost can be great for tower diving with Ignite and your Ultimate to get kills, as well as to aid in chasing.

Items

STARTING ITEMS

Rejuvenation Bead+Health Potion+Health Potion

You can get more or less Health Potions if you like. You really shouldn't take much damage in your lane and your main goal is just to farm up enough gold for your core items, so saving the extra 35 could be a good move. Do what you feel comfortable with. We're going to aim to farm [bold]1,350 Gold[/bold] before our first trip back.

FIRST TRIP BACK

Spirit Visage+Boots of Speed

I've been able to hit this mark around level 6-7 generally if things go well. If not then you're probably looking at around level 8-9. This will help your survivability a ton and also let you do a little bit of chasing with your Ult+Ignite combo.

SECOND TRIP BACK

Ninja Tabi+Giant's Belt

If you can't afford Giant's Belt, go ahead and get your Ruby Crystal to start towards your Phage and the Long Sword as well if you can afford it.

THIRD TRIP BACK

Frozen Mallet

Finish off your Frozen Mallet and now you are ready to go dominate. From here on out work on getting the premium items in the builds below, or items based on what the enemy is running. If they have a ton of magic, get Force of Nature. If they have a lot of CC, upgrade your boots to Mercury Treads instead of Ninja Tabi, or get Banshee's Veil. Just play smart and pick your items accordingly. The base here is simply to get your Frozen Mallet done as quickly as possible while ensuring your HP stays ahead of the curve.

[b]Build[/]

Spirit Visage
Ninja Tabi
Frozen Mallet

This is the core build. You can opt for some different boots if you like but Ninja Tabi keep you in the battle longer which means more Siphon of Destruction swings which means more HP and damage. Plus they are a cheap upgrade and let you work towards Frozen Mallet earlier.

Spirit Visage is a cheap first item to upgrade into and gives you two things Mordekaiser benefits a ton from: Cooldown Reduction and HP Regen. This will mean you'll get more Siphon of Destruction swings and will stay in lane longer since you shouldn't lose much HP if you have your shield up constantly.

Spirit Visage
Ninja Tabi
Frozen Mallet
Rylai's Scepter
Warmogs Armor
Bloodthirster

This is the premium build. If things are going well and you are rolling through enemies, you'll want to follow this path to continue to increase survivability while increasing damage slightly. The slow from Rylai's Scepter will make for a nice combo with Frozen Mallet (Slow using your Siphon of Destruction then catch up and hit them with Mace of Spades). The order you get the items is up to you based on what the other team is running and any issues you are having.

Skill Order

E-Q-E-Q-W-R-E-E-E-Q-R-Q-Q-W-W-R-W-W

R>E>Q>W

You can get the point in Creeping Death a bit earlier if you need it, but since team battles aren't really happening yet you probably won't find much use for it.

An exception to this build is if I am playing with a champion I know will use Sunfire Capes, such as Rammus. If they tell me they are going to use them, I'll level up Creeping Death and Mace of Spades evenly with Siphon of Destruction still being the priority. Rammus with 2 Sunfire Capes + Ultimate + Shield + Flying Metal Shards = Meatgrinder.

Playstyle/How To Play Mordekaiser

IF SOLO MID

Hit Siphon of Destruction, then target the creeps. Repeat every time it comes off cooldown. If you can hit the enemy champion AND the creeps, do it. If you cannot, always favor the creeps. You need to keep your shield up constantly so you can be in there last hitting. Keep pressure on whoever you are against, unless they have lifesteal. If they have lifesteal, just opt to keep casting Siphon of Destruction on as many creeps as possible and move in for last hits with your shield up. If they get too close, cast ignite on the enemy, followed up by a Mace of Spades then Siphon of Destruction. This will take most champs early game down to less than 25% health.

At level 6, you can either do an Ignite+Ult combo on the person mid, or you can head to the side lanes to go for a double kill gank. You'll want to prioritize the enemy with the least amount of health, followed by the enemy closest to the turret. If you can kill the guy under the turret, you also cut off the escape route for his teammate. Nothing is more frustrating than getting back to your tower to find a spirit waiting to clobber you.

Now just keep roaming and pushing your lane. You can push pretty quickly thanks to your farming abilities, so if you see there is no-one in middle lane feel free to push and whack at the tower for a bit.

IF LANING WITH TEAMMATE

Basically the same as playing solo. You want to keep casting Siphon of Destruction on creeps+enemy when possible, with a preference for creeps. Just stand in the middle of the creeps and keep last hitting like a madman while keeping your shield up with Siphon of Destruction every time it comes off cooldown. If an enemy gets too close to your creeps, punish him and laugh as he wastes mana to simply take down your shield. Ideally your teammate will not be auto attacking as well or else the fight can quickly end up under your enemy tower. Just be smart to try to manage it so it stays in the middle. At level 6, do your thing if they give you an opening. Your goal the first 8-9 levels of the game should be to make as much gold as possible. The biggest thing here is just staying alive.

Your best lanemates will be anyone with CC and a nuke. Mordekaiser can go with a lot of people, really, just make sure they understand that you have no CC or nuke so that they know what you are and are not capable of.

TEAMFIGHTS

Ideally you don't have to be an initiator. Your role is to chase and soak up damage in fights, while dealing out some pretty good AoE damage.

If you are playing with an organized team, have them call out a target and make sure you get your ult/ignite on them. This way right at the start of the fight you get your spirit as well as the AP/Attk Power boost. Now you want to just use every ability you've got as soon as it comes off cooldown. Lead in with Creeping Death on yourself or a tank, followed by Siphon of Destruction, then Mace of Spades. Rinse, wash, repeat. Make sure to focus on anyone trying to get out of the fight, making sure they don't get away. Your spirit should be hitting a different target on the edge of the fight if multiple people start to run. Your best ability is that when they start to run, you've really got 2 chasers thanks to Frozen Mallet. Your Siphon of Destruction will really shine when it is hitting 2-3 melee enemies and also completely filling your passive shield every 4 seconds or so.

USING YOUR ULTIMATE

If you don't know by now, you use Alt+Right Click to control your spirit individually from your champion. This can be used for quite a few different purposes:

Chasing - As mentioned before, with Frozen Mallet applying to your spirits attacks, chasing becomes a strong suit of your ultimate. Use your spirit to chase after an enemy while you take an alternate route to cut them off and ensure the kill. Alternatively, have your spirit slow one target while you slow another, allowing for you and your team to get that important Ace.

Tower Diving - Especially early levels, tower diving with your spirit is a huge advantage. It can usually take 5-6 tower shots early game, and deal an impressive amount of damage to anyone cowering underneath. Early game what I like to do is after we kill 1 person in a lane and I get my spirit, I'll send the spirit under the tower to attack the enemy while I slip through their jungle to the gap between the two towers. As the enemy falls back to the 2nd tower to avoid the spirit, they run right into me waiting with a quick Siphon of Destruction, Mace of Spades combo for the finish.

Tanking - You can send the spirit in first to tank a tower just as you would when diving. Sometimes the seconds saved by having the spirit tank while creeps are incoming is enough to finish the tower off. You can also send him into the middle of a team fight to create quite a bit of confusion for enemies who are simply right clicking low health targets and waste their abilities on your spirit.

WARNING: If your spirit attacks an enemy while under a tower, and you are in range, the tower will attack you instead of the spirit.

I mentioned it before as well, but I just wanted to emphasize that whenever possible you should hit the enemy with Ignite when you use your ultimate. The difference is usually just enough to get the kill and give you that all important spirit. You can also tower dive using your passive shield just to get your ignite+ultimate off to finish an enemy. Generally the shield can take 1.5-2 tower hits at any level when it is maxed.

Closing

Again I wrote this guide for LeagueCraft so it is formatted a bit nicer there: http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...ty+Mordekaiser

I'll try to update this one as I update that one. Feel free to discuss/give feedback/report how it worked for you or what you did differently in your build after giving it a shot. Every game so far with this build+playstyle I've either gone even or outright dominated. I'm sure there is still room for improvement, but I think this is a solid core to being able to play Mordekaiser this way.

Alkaladar

02-24-2010

Step 1: Pick any other character
Step 2: Proceed to do a better job than Mordekaiser and with far less gear dependency, more damage and generally less pain.

Riot have to face the facts that he is a terrible disappointment.

Xetelian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2010

Maybe people just need practice? I carried a game a moment ago, running from place to place one hit killing creeps in groups and jungling while pushing lanes and ganking.

The above guide is close to what I use, but usually I start by building force of nature instead of spirit visage straight out the gate because I have -14% cooldown -19% at 18 with runes and masteries.

Renholder

02-24-2010

Rylais is the only item that really gives mord a kick.... and it takes forever to build it. I just find myself wishing I had it all game.

They really should knock the AP ratios up a tad bit and give W a secondary effect like a single target snare. I also feel the ult spirit doesn't last long enough at all, if you need to move it more than 5 inches forget about it and just rush a tower with it. (Assuming you have no enemies to hit)

By mid/late game anyone with burst can take your shield out insanely quick. Any cc on you and you're done.

I really like this guy, and he's def not as bad as Gragas was when he came out but even the specs the devs were running on TR take far too long to build and dont add enough to the team at the right points.

Also of note is that the bonus damage to Mace of Spades is completely counter intuitive to where you want to be with Mord. Ideally surrounded by mobs to hit with your cone. I don't mind it but it doesn't happen that often im trying to solo someone as mord ... mostly because you cannot catch them.

Heres wishing Rylais wasnt so ****ed expensive !

Niakor

02-25-2010

Just wondering if have any mana issue with the guy?
I see a lot of spam this, spam that and no mana items

csirus

02-25-2010

He doesnt use mana, health like ty or mundo

Tinsel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

02-25-2010

Few points (I'm not a pro with Morde either, just some observations):

1. You should never solo mid, ever. Pick a random teammate. Is that teammate Gragas? If so, pick again. If not, they can solo mid better than you can. You can farm well but you will be harassed and unable to reciprocate (unless they are terrible).

2. Mallet + Rylai's is too expensive and unrealistic for the gains you get. IMHO Rylai's works better on MK than Mallet.

3. Force of Nature seems to magically transform MK from suck to meh (most games have enough enemy AP to justify it). The two items I try to rush asap are Rylai's and FoN.

Gekkonidae

02-25-2010

Sweet! this is the exact build i use, and have no trouble beating the hell out of the other team. except after warmongers, i usually get malady if we're already in their base so i can tower hit faster. Just make sure you play aggressively and keep your shield up at first with the 'E' skill.. and then 'Q' too when you get it. I outlaned sivir and shaco with ease and then proceeded to destroy her. Remember to use brush. If soloing mid, just be aggressive and rack up that gold at first. good guide

Stieff

02-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niakor View Post
Just wondering if have any mana issue with the guy?
I see a lot of spam this, spam that and no mana items
He doesn't have mana lol

Niakor

02-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stieff View Post
He doesn't have mana lol
Ok thanks
Didn't have the chance to try it (playing on EU servers..) and haven't seen any mention of this