[[[[[[[[[[[SHEN..AP and TANK???

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kenjou5

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-12-2011

can shen be built as a tank and at the same time with ap? so he can have more sheild and damage on vorpal blade? if not..what items are good for him?

Shosuko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-12-2011

Having some ap definitely helps shen... But you wouldn't want to do a "pure ap" or even "hybrid" ap build, you really want to keep your tank build. However there are some items which help you build ap and tank ^_^ here ya go~

Some things you can do to utilize the ap of Shen without sacrificing his tanky nature:

Do you have a caster carry or strong ap nuker on your team? Malz, karth, swain, ect?
Built an abyssal scepter. This aura debuffs opponent's mr, making allies nukes hit harder. This also gives you mr (good for a tank) and ap ^_^ yay shield, not just for your feint, but also for your ult. Your sword will hit a bit harder too, and your passive ki strike is also magic damage, and thus benefits from mpen.

Rylia's Crystal Scepter - don't you just hate those chase scenes, where you could dash / taunt and still be just so close >_< Build a Rylias and your q will slow them down. Also helps getting away, also provides health which is good for tank, and ap.

Zhonya's Hourglass - an excellent initiation tool. Dash taunt 3+ ppl, pop zhonya. This basically converts your taunt to a stun. No one in the back can nuke you, while whoever you've hit is unable to defend themselves. Again plus armor, great for a tank, and plus ap.

Finally another item to throw out... idk if this would be as great as the last 3 (all of which I've used and loved) but you could even go for Will of the Ancients. I would only do this if you had a mage like Malz, Vlad, or Karth who is also building it. The main reason I would do this is to double up their aura, a great help as you can't stack wota <_< It doesn't have any naturally tanky benefits like the other items do, but you can spell vamp off your q, you do get ap for your abilities, and your allies are able to get much more spell vamp than they could with only their own aura. This item is getting a boost too ^_^,b

LCS Dyrus

04-12-2011

AP Shen's actually nothing short of incredible. However, you have to have the timing of a jedi to use it. Seriously, your feint can eat up most anything and your vorpal blade hurts like a truck, but if your timing's off or you get hit with your shield down, then ouch. Yes, that deathcap IS viable on shen, if you yourself are a super genius jedi ninja robot. Chances are you are not. In this case, refer to above, or just suck it up and go full tank. There are lots of details I won't be covering here, but if you want an AP shen that can tank, then just build AP instead of health.

Aikimiller

04-12-2011

Shen can utilize a bit of AP, however the thing to considder is that your building AP at the expense of something else, and shen doesn't have a lot of extra gold to be throwing around. And if your team is expecting you to be the primary tank, and you're not filling that roll; chances are teamfights aren't going to go well for you.

In a situation where you are racking up kills with him, and rolling in gold; sure, go ahead; Abyssal Scepter, and Zhonya's Hourglass are items that don't suck on him and give good AP. The cost is usaully the only reason people avoid them on shen. I don't like Ryali's on him- the only ability it procs off of is vorpal blade; and in fights you're generally better off using your energy for dash and feint; the only time I use vorpal blade in a teamfight is if we have to take down Cho'gath or Mundo; the regen is small, but if everyone on your team is getting it, it can make a difference.

Personally, I prefer Frozen Mallet + Atma's if I've got the gold to spare and am looking for more damage and a slow. Frozen mallet combines a bit better with his dash; which is more effective for chasing than vorpal blade anyway; and I find that having frozen mallet generally means that the enemy doesn't get the chance to run away; as the initiator, shen typically does quite a bit of auto-attacking in a fight.

The other thing to considder with an AP based shen, is that the time he benefits the absolute most from extra AP is during the laning phase, when he's throwing around vorpal blades for harrassment, and feints to avoid being harassed. The problem is that ths is the time you want to be building components for heavy tank items, because they're what let you tank during team fights.