Character's Missing a Dollar!! Help!!

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xmitty

02-22-2010

Alright guys and gals, here is a fun little thinking game. If you know the answer, don't post it right away, and don't ruin it by googling answers. Try to at least think for yourself!

Three League of Legends characters (Ryze, Twisted Fate, and Master Yi) decide they want to buy some Riot Points directly from Riot Headquarters. They are told that the points will cost them $30, so they each chip in $10.

Later Riot realizes that the points only cost $25 and decided to be nice and catch them on the way out and give them a refund for the $5. They give hohums a $5 bill and tell him to catch them and give it to them. As hohums is heading out, he realizes he cannot make exact change to give them. Being sneaky as he is and knowing the LoL characters do not know about the change, he decides to give them each $1 and keep $2 for himself.

Now that each of the LoL characters have been given $1 back, each has paid $9, bringing the total paid to $27. Hohums has $2. If the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining $1?

Have fun with this and don't give it away right off the bat! Good Luck!! =D
Also, throw a post and let us know how long it took ya and what you thought! =)

UPDATE: homums actions are justified by the fact that there happens to be a cupcake convention next door.

UPDATE: If you just can't get it, there are some good hints and possible answers on the following pages, but try to get it by yourself first. It is what makes it fun!

GenericName3

02-22-2010

Oh so dirty, leading people to a false conclusion when you pose your question. >;o

Nerdrage

02-22-2010

lolololol this thing. Cute. The phrasing for this puzzle (not just you, but how the puzzle its self is always worded) is so so incorrect though, making it seem much harder than it is i fyou're not paying attention.

Xmitty

02-22-2010

Haha, it's always been one of my favorites.

Cold Fusion

02-22-2010

I get it.. Took me a second, it's worded weirdly.

GenericName3

02-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Fusion View Post
I get it.. Took me a second, it's worded weirdly.
Not that it was worded weirdly, but that it's worded misleadingly. There's no missing dollar to begin with, although that should be assumed when one attempts to solve this problem.

Xmitty

02-22-2010

Lol, try not to give anything away.

PPJEHqUR0VSFHsX4

02-22-2010

This one is fun.
Remembered hearing it before, but couldnt remember how to solve it.

Logical flaws ftw.

ADLift419

02-22-2010

omg i hate liars.
*black listed

Vikariously

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2010

Logged in just to comment. Took me about ~5minutes to sort the logic out. Nice thinker!

I kind of hated you for a minute as it's currently 2:40am and I couldn't bring myself to ask for the answer, so I had to figure it out.

+1!

12345 ... 6