RE: Queue-dodging penalties

First Riot Post
123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ninja Cyborg

02-23-2010

If you want to dodge, just choose Tryn/Kat/Mundo with clarity and revive. Call solo mid. Someone WILL dodge you.

Milskidasith

02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
Honestly... the number of times revive/clarity mundo actually happens is so miniscule the argument is more or less invalid, but I felt the need to attack it anyway .

It's very... "WELL WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN IF AN ASTEROID HITS THE EARTH" ?

Also, keep in mind that we do ban people for intentional feeding, harassment/afk stuff, and another abuses.

Champion selection is not the pre-game lobby.
Practice games have a pre-game lobby that you can leave at any time.
Except your report system, unlike... uhh... every other game I've played that I can recall, relies on taking an external screenshot, uploading it on an external site, and sending it in an email to your support email address, with no in game indication to do that. Add a "report player" button and send the chat logs and it would be a lot easier to, you know, report somebody. As an example, just because NAME REDACTED called me a RACIAL SLUR/SEXUALITY CHOICE/DEROGATORY TERM FOR SPECIAL NEEDS PERSONS/OTHER INSULT and promised to TOWER DIVE/PLAY NEXUS TAG/FEED INTENTIONALLY/FOLLOW ME AROUND AND STEAL GOLEM because I said to NOT GET GREEDY/BE MORE CAREFUL/CALLED MIA BUT HE DIDN'T READ SO HE SHOUTED ANYWAY WHEN HE GOT KILLED doesn't mean it's worth the effort of taking time out of actually playing the game to set up the report, especially since, until now, I'd just queue dodge NAME REDACTED for being on my ignore list.

KirbyHero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-23-2010

Come on now Immortal. Be real. Do you know where f11 is? Or whatever key is print screen on your computer? It will say <playername> Mundo: Revive/Clarity. You can get them banned easily, not that hard.

If they threaten to feed, it's right in chat, you can print screen it.

Like Pendragon is saying, those issues already have a channel and they are really tangential to the discussion. Not many people are jerks of that magnitude anyway.

Drunner611

02-23-2010

Quote:
Honestly... the number of times revive/clarity mundo actually happens is so miniscule the argument is more or less invalid, but I felt the need to attack it anyway .

I will gladly take a revive/clarity Mundo if you implement a system to eliminate 4v5 matches.

You need to add a vote in champion select. If 1 person is afk with 10 seconds left in queue, and 3/4 of the remaining people vote to dodge the queue, they can do so with no penalty.

I should not be penalized for dodging a 4v5 as this is not how MM is intended in the first place.

Please, implement a vote system with 3/5 majority resulting in a free dodge for everyone.

Rumination

02-23-2010

Quote:
  • When you join a matchmaking queue, it should be expected that you're not able to choose your teammates.
  • If you want to choose your teammates, make a premade.
  • There are public chat rooms, forums, a ventrilo service, an IRC service, and lots of third party communities where you can find premade games
  • Choosing your teammates is essentially cheating the matchmaking system into giving you better odds.
  • Queue dodging puts a lot of extra load on servers (people matching many times for a single match)
  • Queue dodging inconveniences 9 other players

That being said, we're not removing queue dodging, we're simply making it a tougher decision. If you ACTUALLY see a Mundo with revive/clarity, dodge it, wait the 3 minutes, queue again.
This is all fine and wonderful, but there are a variety of reasons I dodge Champ select, Clarity/Revive on Mundo notwithstanding. I refuse to play with an Evelyn/Gragas, I also refuse to play on a team with no tank, since I can't tank on account of having only DPS runes. (And before you try to slam me for not buying tank runes instead of DPS runes, I refuse to play on a team of 4 tanks with me as the sole dps, so it cuts both ways.)

So what happens I get the memetic Mundo followed by a DPS-melee train, followed by a team where one person takes Eve, and another takes Gragas? Do i just dodge away and eat the penalty? Or should I play the game which will very likely cause me a loss which will even further push ELO down which will increase the chances of being paired with Evelyn, Gragas, Memetic Mundo etc.?

Raiden27d

02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyHero View Post
Come on now Immortal. Be real. Do you know where f11 is? Or whatever key is print screen on your computer? It will say <playername> Mundo: Revive/Clarity. You can get them banned easily, not that hard.

If they threaten to feed, it's right in chat, you can print screen it.

Like Pendragon is saying, those issues already have a channel and they are really tangential to the discussion. Not many people are jerks of that magnitude anyway.
Well in all honesty Pendragon didn't say anything about reporting them which makes me think they're just going to go from game to game doing this same thing. If he had said report them I'd feel a little better about it since I know something would be done, but as it stands telling people to Q dodge those types is almost like an invitiation for them to do it.

Jayce from Space

02-23-2010

Quote:
Practice games have a pre-game lobby that you can leave at any time.
Ass-backwards argument of the century right here. So basically you're saying we should play practice games if we don't want to waste time on terribles?

Makes total sense.

Solution Nine

02-23-2010

Quote:
Sure it is. There are other games that use a match making system that don't penalize players for leaving after they have been selected and put in to the lobby.

Why not just change MM to keep the 9 players and pick a new one from the queue to replace the dodger? Why kick all 9 people and restart the queue for them? That would be a much better solution than this ridiculous penalty system.

Hell even just limit the penalty to 3 minutes every time. A 3m, 8m system with an 8 hour reset is pretty insane.

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

02-23-2010
3 of 13 Riot Posts

Quote:
This is all fine and wonderful, but there are a variety of reasons I dodge Champ select, Clarity/Revive on Mundo notwithstanding. I refuse to play with an Evelyn/Gragas, I also refuse to play on a team with no tank, since I can't tank on account of having only DPS runes. (And before you try to slam me for not buying tank runes instead of DPS runes, I refuse to play on a team of 4 tanks with me as the sole dps, so it cuts both ways.)
That's your right, and it's your choice. You'll just have to wait longer between games as a result. Honestly... I don't queue dodge (except for the 1/1000 instance where a friend logs on when I'm at champion select) and I have a general good play experience (w/ ~500 games played between two accounts). I do play the same game you do, you know?

I don't don't dodge afks (because I rarely see them afk by the time they get into the game, they just play whatever random champion)
I don't dodge if the lineup is bad - I like to win against the odds (happens a lot)
I don't maintain a list of people I don't like (so obviously I don't dodge these people), although people are behaved when I'm on Pendragon more than on my smurf

I also get dodged all the time for asking for solo mid (I'm also fine not soloing if someone else wants it, but I prefer it). I'm actually a pretty good solo mid shaco too
I used to enjoy playing Mundo, but stopped because people dodged (and I actually did pretty well with him)
I used to play Evelynn as my main, but got sick of people dodging (even though I'd often completely destroy)

With 500+ games played, queue dodging is my single biggest point of annoyance right now. That's from my perspective as an actual player, not a "dev".

KirbyHero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalAnthros View Post
Well in all honesty Pendragon didn't say anything about reporting them which makes me think they're just going to go from game to game doing this same thing. If he had said report them I'd feel a little better about it since I know something would be done, but as it stands telling people to Q dodge those types is almost like an invitiation for them to do it.
He's specifically mentioned that people like that are banned. Queue dodging that person isn't mutually exclusive with reporting them. Just remember to hit f11 before alt+f4.

123456 ... 10