Frozen Mallet vs. Trinity Force on Xin

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gengår

04-11-2011

Trying to decide which is better.

Trinity Force
+250 Health
+30 Damage
+30 Increased Attack Speed
+30 Ability Power
15% Critical Chance
12 Movement Speed
Passive: Chance to Slow
Passive: Increase your base attack damage for 150% for one attack
Cost - 4070 Gold

Frozen Mallet
+700 Health
+20 Damage
Cost - 3250 Gold

So if we compare these two items, if you go Frozen over TF, you get +450 more health
If you go TF over Frozen, you get +10 more damage, +30 Increased AS, 15% Critical, 12 Movement Speed, and another useful passive

I like to build my xin semi-tanky so the extra health + cheaper item is appealing to me but TF's 2nd passive seems really useful...can anyone tell me how useful it is for Xin's abilities? What do you guys recommend?

TurtleWorld

04-11-2011

It depends on the champion. Xin Zhao can probably use both depending on whether you want more survivability or damage.

I don't play him though so my answer's probably not too reliable lulz.

Karathrow

04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorei View Post
Trying to decide which is better.

Trinity Force
+250 Health
+30 Damage
+30 Increased Attack Speed
+30 Ability Power
15% Critical Chance
12 Movement Speed
Passive: Increase your base attack damage for 150% for one attack
Cost - 4070 Gold

Frozen Mallet
+700 Health
+20 Damage
Cost - 3250 Gold

So if we compare these two items, if you go Frozen over TF, you get +450 more health
If you go TF over Frozen, you get +10 more damage, +30 Increased AS, 15% Critical, 12 Movement Speed, and another useful passive

I like to build my xin semi-tanky so the extra health + cheaper item is appealing to me but TF's 2nd passive seems really useful...can anyone tell me how useful it is for Xin's abilities? What do you guys recommend?
Trinity force gives move speed which is extremely hard to get in items and extremely important for staying in range. Xin attacks pretty fast so the slow on TF is good enough as it is. You can get HP from tons of sources so I would not take mallet over TF.

The only thing that has debatable usefulness on Xin is the Sheen component, but Q's coodown is relatively low and W reduces your cooldowns every time you auto hit so you can pretty much just spam Q.

Not to mention the attack speed and crit as well from TF.

Jakkillr

04-11-2011

Personally, I would rather have the 100% 40% slow rather than the potential for a slow to occur.

That allows xin's three talon to get more procs off and he also has a slow in the form of his audacious charge.

Move speed, atk spd and crit chance are better off being from a PD. Damage and hp should be coming from a blood thirster, xin should have enough survivability in a team fight if he can ult and not be cc'd.

SynergyDreamer

04-11-2011

Neither of those items are good, and just barely decent on him.
Go for CDR, AS, and ArPen.
Randuin's and Youmuu's fit very well with him. Some recommend Sword of the Divine. I prefer getting Banshee's Veil and/or Quicksilver Sash in case of CC.

Main point is if you're combo-ing right, you do NOT need another slow. For early-mid game purposes take red buff. But late game your CD's should be just about sufficient for pinning down anyone.

Jakkillr

04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyDreamer View Post
Neither of those items are good, and just barely decent on him.
Frozen mallet is a completely viable Xin option if survivability is an issue or they have a lot of faster champions. Xin is all about staying power with his passive and hopefully some Lifesteal, so if he can't stay on a champion he is toast.

Personally I never use it myself, but I can see times where it would have been useful if not for the insane price tag vs my other items useability.

JohnnyThunder

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-11-2011

I've always seen Xin as a bursty tank-buster kind of champ. My item line-up usually includes some mixture that looks a little like swift boots, sword of divine, br, cleaver, dancer, thirster, with necessary changes depending upon the enemy team comp. I know that's not really relevant but have you tried mixing it up to be more up-front destructive with some staying power rather than focusing on direct survivability? With your tanky build play style though I've got to say mallet hands down.

Dakkas

04-11-2011

I've seen Guardsmanbob build TF on Xin which I believe is completely viable on him. I would rate that much higher priority than mallet for him

Redenbacher

04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkillr View Post
Frozen mallet is a completely viable Xin option if survivability is an issue or they have a lot of faster champions. Xin is all about staying power with his passive and hopefully some Lifesteal, so if he can't stay on a champion he is toast.

Personally I never use it myself, but I can see times where it would have been useful if not for the insane price tag vs my other items useability.
It's not that it's not viable, it's simply that there are better options. Xin already has an AoE slow, and the ability to rapidly refresh his cooldowns. He can effectively keep an enemy permanently slowed and/or knocked up with CDR and Attack Speed.

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkillr View Post
Personally, I would rather have the 100% 40% slow rather than the potential for a slow to occur.

That allows xin's three talon to get more procs off and he also has a slow in the form of his audacious charge.

Move speed, atk spd and crit chance are better off being from a PD. Damage and hp should be coming from a blood thirster, xin should have enough survivability in a team fight if he can ult and not be cc'd.
Good builds have 100% AOE slow called raduins active.

Xin Zhao has no problem hitting Q even without ANY slow other than E(unless the target used flash; in which case no amount of slow will help with that).

-----------------------------------
What Xin needed is attackspeed and cdr mostly, then Arpen and lastly AD.
A Frozen Heart would be even better because it is pretty easy to go oom in a team fight if he is able to refresh his skills constantly.