Whats the best Malzahar Build In Your Opinion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mirelyght

04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coehabamba View Post
on most of my ap champs i like to start with Boots and then a Rod...the +80 ap rod...just because it gives you so much more damage early game and especially if you mid as mal your ult will just rape...
but most people like to get your mana stuff first like AA staff and what not....which totally works. i just find the early damage and kills help more.
i agree with this....i'll start mid with doran's ring...first time back is when i have enough for boots and either 40 or 80 damage rod.....usually i build the ROA first because the AP is enough to give u good damage while the health and mana make u tankier.

right after i build rabadon's....then its situational from there....if theres tankier guys with MR i go void staff...otherwise morello's tome. i almost never buy sorc boots....its fairly simple why:

merc treads or the 3 speed boots will keep you alive longer while void staff and abyssal scepter have all the pen you need when combined with your runes.

i try not to build pure defense items if possible....if you need armor that bad then substitute glacial shroud for morello's or buy the hourglass. i might buy a banshees veil if its absolutely necessary but generally abyssal scepter has enough MR to make a difference.

i pretty much never build an archangels because it takes too long to ramp up and honestly your dot plus ROA provides more than enough mana/regen. when i mid against malz's that do the AA thing i tend to out damage them early game and ramping up faster on items because of it. learn to manage your dot...

Zyren

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-11-2011

I've built my Malz rather beefy for awhile, and I recall seeing a high-rated player (can't recall if it was Reginald or who...) build the same way.

Core
Doran's Ring to start.
Boots 1 + Catalyst
Rod of Ages
Upgrade boots to Sorcerer's Shoes or Mercury's Treads
Rylai's
Deathcap

Abyssal Scepter/Banshee's Veil/Zhonya's Hourglass/Thornmail/Frozen Heart

Basically after your core, you get whatever you need depending on the game. I rarely even get to the finished Deathcap, and I seem to always do pretty well. Meanwhile, try to get Golem when you can (unless you have someone who needs it more, such as Amumu or Anivia).

9/0/21 Masteries
Flash + Ghost (because this combo is OP, and you don't have any real escape)

Marks: Magic Penetration
Seals: Mp5 per level or Health per level
Glyphs: Flat CDR
Quints: Flat AP, Magic Penetration, or Movement Speed (I use flat AP nowadays)

Skills: R > E > Q > W with 1 point in W @ 4 or 8, depending on when you will make use of it (typically picked up at level 8 for me).

Also, learn to control your voidlings and how to leash them. Since they attack whoever has the most recent Malefic Visions on them (or was ended on them), then you can use this for AMAZING harass in the laning phase. You know you have a voidling coming up? E on the enemy if they come in range, and chase them away with auto-attacks and your voidling pounding on them constantly.

Have fun!

Montegomery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-11-2011

Tear/Archangel's isn't as good an option as Catalyst/RoA. Investing heavily in mana regen on Malzahar shouldn't be necessary and delays your damage and survivability.

Zyren

04-11-2011

Oh, and the typical caster build seen these days is something like:

Sapphire Crystal + 2 HP Pots
Boots 1 + Catalyst
Deathcap
Sorcs
Upgrade Catalyst to Banshee's or RoA (usually Banshee's)

Get whatever after that, like Rylai's and Abyssal/Voidstaff etc.

Dimise

04-11-2011

I've been playing malzahar for a LONG time now and I would have to say that the best way to play malzahar is to learn how to adapt your build to the current team and situation. I have a number of builds that i go with in game just depending on what i'm going up against.

What i believe to be the core items
AA staff.
Rylai's
Zhonya's
Sorc Boots (these can really be w/e you perfer. I like sorc and the +3 boots).

BTW: I sort of treat Mejai's as a core item but if i know i'm not going to be able to keep thoses stacks or if really need to build something else then it will be sold later or just not build at all.

AA Staff: Malzahar uses A LOT of mana! not having this really limits you're effectiveness as the game progresses. Now i build this item last in favor of finishing other items first but i always get the TotG ASAP!

Rylai's: Malz has low life and this gives him that extra bit he needs plus the slowing effect is great for his setup, chasing, or helping you and/or your team retreat.

Zhonya's: moar damage? Please!

This leaves 2 spots open for whatever u want/need in the game. So for the last 2 items;

if you think you are going to rock this game:
Mejai's (built early of course)
2nd AA Staff.

Need more pen?
Substitute the Mejai's or AA staff for a Void Staff

Need more Survivability?
Substitute the Mejai's or AA staff for a Banshee Veil (if armor is needed instead get zhonya's hourglass)

Need something else?
you got two slots so go for it.

Wanna have fun with spell vamp?
get a WotA and have the other AP pick one up as well. 40% spell vamp will produce some ridiculous returns in team fights for you and your friend. Especially with more than one MV out.

Now as far as build order is concerned for pure dps i go
Tear
reg boots.
Mejai's
Rylai's (finish boots while building this up)
Zhonya's
finish AA
another AA

start with meki and 2 potions

Your first time back will be where u need to make some decisions. Hopefully you've gotten a kill or two so get:

Tear of the goddess.
reg boots
Blasting Wand or Tome or Mejai's

it is up to you on what AP items you should get when u go back depending on how the enemy is and how much gold you have to spend. I give the choice because sometimes you just need to have that high, static AP right away rather than a wild card.

hackd

04-11-2011

I just stack as much AP as I can get away with, then maybe 1 defensive item.

His skills just do SOOO much damage when you get enough AP.

Mana regen is nice too, since you can then spam the **** out of MV and CotV.

BlackEminem

04-11-2011

dorans ring, Hextech revolver, scource boots, CAP, =core build, then you can get Abyssal sceptar, evil tomb, hourglass, rylais.

but please please, PLEASE, dont get tear like some of these people are saying, your malz damage output is gonna fail hard, just use E to get mana or hump bluebuff

ForeverLaxx

04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEminem View Post
dorans ring, Hextech Gunblade, scource boots, CAP, =core build, then you can get Abyssal sceptar, evil tomb, hourglass, rylais.

but please please, PLEASE, dont get tear like some of these people are saying, your malz damage output is gonna fail hard, just use E to get mana or hump bluebuff
I'm going to assume you mean Hextech Revolver and not Gunblade, as a Gunblade on Malz is a complete waste; if you're buying it for the active... that's just silly.

BlackEminem

04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverLaxx View Post
I'm going to assume you mean Hextech Revolver and not Gunblade, as a Gunblade on Malz is a complete waste; if you're buying it for the active... that's just silly.
woops yeah thanks...

Alchemist Of War

04-11-2011

Dorans Ring to start off
Sorcerers Shoes
Rod of Ages
Archangels Staff
Rylais
Deathcap
Either Deathfire or Void Staff- depending on what you want

Feel free to switch up the order, but believe me it works.