how many different champions do you play in ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tekneek

04-14-2011

sorry if this is a repost

hey guys im new to the league of legends competitive scene.. im starting to get serious about it and im trying to figure out how to go about solo queuing?

currently my strongest champions are lux and ap poppy.. and im a decent jungle amumu but any other champions im not confident to play ranked as.

since i dont want to risk falling into elohell ive only played my best champ, lux.. im 3-0 but i know theres eventually going to be someone who wants to mid, or force me to tank

so ive been playing several different champions but i seem to get really inconsistent as lux

so TL;DR: i want to minimize losses... how many different champions do you play in ranked?

Arcadies

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-15-2011

I'm still new to ranked myself, only about 90/80 W/L. But I was told, that before you even start ranked, you need to have mastered two tanks, two damage dealers, and two supports.

Yakri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-16-2011

Lets see. . . .

Nidalee, Zilean, Morde, Rammus, Malph, Yi, Nunu, Caitlynn, Udyr, Ashe. . . .

About that many, probably 1-3 more I forgot about.

I haven't actually played a game with each of them, but those are the characters I am comfortable with so far(in ranked).

What Arcadies said about supports/tanks/carries is good. You need to be able to pick something your team doesn't have in ranked if you need too, so it's important to be capable of filling any roll to balance your team.

If you're doing premade 3v3 or 5v5, then it's not so important, but it still helps to know multiple roles.

Asian Girl

04-16-2011

i aim to have a champ for each occasion. in certain situations im not too strong at, i.e jungling/tanking, i only have 1 or 2 for each that i am at least somewhat useful with. i prefer to play the same champ(malzahar) in as many situations as possible, because he is my strongest champion. there are situations where i cannot use him of course, so i have a designated ad carry/support/etc...

in short, i only have a few champs i would play in ranked, and it works well for me because it allows me to cover most of the basics that a team needs, without having to spend so much time learning a lot of champions

deribou

04-17-2011

So far, I've practically only played one champion, who's a tank. Why?
Cause no one else ***** will pick one LOL. Out of 27 games, 22 of them I have played using Alistar.
The other five were Karthus, Tristana, Malphite, Nasus, and Nunu. Most of the time, your team will need a tank, as everyone wants one on their team, but no one really wants to BE one. If by chance you DO have someone playing the tank role, generally a jungler is needed, or if not, pick a support. Carries are almost not needed as everyone will god**** want to play one ._.

Summary: Learn to play everything except carries.

Dthxaire

04-17-2011

Honestly, I play everything/anything that is needed.

I've been playing for a long time, but tbh I feel you need to really master/play most heros well in order to know how to play against them.

My primaries: Blitz, Corki, Malzahar, Poppy, Teemo, Ashe, Kennen, Morgana, Twitch, Rammus, Yi.

Its strange though, people focus so much on a select few heros they like to play most in ranked, without thinking twice about countering the other team's picks OR what works well with your own teams other picks.

Thus "learn to play everyone" is pretty on par.

Pyroxite

04-17-2011

I tried to learn to play everything when I started playing ranked. Experimented with a ton of different champs trying to figure out why I couldn't do well in ranked when I had owned in unranked with the same champs.

After losing all the way down to around 950 ELO, I hit upon Heimerdinger. I've played him almost exclusively, excepting one or two games where the enemy team picks him, all the way up to 1375 now. I won't play anyone else in ranked until I hit a solid ceiling with Heimer.