[Champion Suggestion] Sterilus, The Clean

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KamaitachiTrey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Huntsman

04-15-2011

So you know, SRT means (from what I gather) Schnickness Review Time!

Anyways, very shortly will be my usual hyper wall-of-text post incorporating any and all thoughts I have on this champion, positive and negatives, and possibly some of my own opinions and thoughts on what I'd be thinking if Riot announced this as the next champion.

Reserved as I compile all my notes! I will edit this post shortly to add all the information.

EDIT: WALL OF TEXT TIME!:

Quote:
Another champion made from steampunk, like Blitzcrank, is what I’m thinking here, but with a totally different function.

Sterilus, The Clean
Counter-CC support
Hahaha, interesting name, it definitely has its upsides and downsides. Some might say it is a little too obvious of a name, I personally think it is a decent name for a cleaning bot. Blitzcrank is slightly more creative, but then he's a different robot with different functions - and his name still has relevance to his character, the same way yours seems to. Overall, I enjoy the name.

Counter-CC Support; This is interesting. We don't really have anyone that is a support by countering CC effects, perhaps some that keep you alive longer or save you when you are CC'ed, but nothing much that directly influences the CC in the game like this, I think it will be interesting.

Quote:
Lore:

Created in a hextech laboratory, Sterilus began as a sanitation bot. He was outfitted with advanced cleaning agents and a diagnostic AI, intended to give him the ability to recognize and treat illness and combat the wild contaminants present in a laboratory full of hextech experiments. His AI evolved, and his after his creator realized the automaton’s unique intelligence, he allowed him to leave to pursue his own existential purpose. The league captured him, and like many other champions, he was forced to ply his trade on the field of battle.

Stats/Level Scaling:

I'm not the best with champ level scaling, but giving him similar scaling to Janna or Lux would serve him fine.
Interesting lore, a few grammatical errors "and his after his creator realized" little simple things, not a huge deal just thought I'd mention it. He was captured and forced into the league, like a much nicer and friendlier version of Nocturne's lore. I think it's an interesting idea for lore, I'm a huge lore buff and avid reader of books so I'm all for it when someone adds lore to a character - at any length, so kudos!

His stats and level scaling, yeah, I'm not huge into working out every single minor number on a character up to the point of how much they gain of everything per level, so I can understand your hesitancy to try and scale things yourself.
Quote:
Abilities:

Normal attack: Fairly short-range, ranged auto attacks. The animation is a winding-up of his right arm, like a stiff baseball toss, then he throws a spark projectile at the target.

Passive: Sterilus excretes cleansing vapors, giving allies near him 20% reduced duration on damage-over-time effects and negative debuffs. This does not apply to AoE, ground-targeted effects like Nasus’ Spirit Fire, but applies to any character-targeted debuffs, like Nasus’ Wither, or Malzahar's Malefic Visions. Does not stack with CC reduction items like Mercury Treads.

Q: Purge Tanks: Sterilus purges the contaminants collected in the storage tanks in his frame, unloading them onto an enemy. Deals 60/110/160/210/260 (.7 AP) damage over 4 seconds, and applies any debuffs collected with a 50% duration onto the target. 625 Range. 12 second CD. 60/70/80/90/100 mana
Winding up of his arm and tossing like a baseball with a spark projectile is nice, but I wonder how that would look in game. If he gains enough attack speed (from a nearby Jarvan or whatever else) would it start looking ridiculous to see him wind up for a baseball pitch each time? Haha, okay, I won't really criticize you for something like that, I get the gist of it and it sounds fine. Now on to real critique.

PASSIVE : I do enjoy the idea of this passive, and reading through other individuals comments on it I do agree without the statement of "Does not stack with CC reduction items like Mercury Treads." it makes him seem a little bit strong heavy in teamfights - some characters only mode of use is their CC, and particularly for teamfights. Fiddlesticks, for example, would be shut down if his passive worked with Mercury Treads. However, the saddening part is that it seems like if it doesn't work with Mercury Treads, that any individual with Mercury Treads, and/or most tanks are just going to say your passive is useless because they're likely going to end up with Mercury Treads or Ninja Tabi anyways (depending).

I think there has to be some inbetween, a mixed balance. Perhaps instead of not stacking and only giving the AoE of reduced duration, it can do something along the lines of: "20% reduced duration on damage-over-time effects and any other reductions to negative debuffs you or your allies currently have" which would mean anyone with Mercury Treads or any skills (Irelia? Garen? Mundo?) or items that reduce durations (Cleanse?) means they are 20% more effective (could be a larger number than 20% if you decide to rework it in this manner). This would be more of a benefit to tanks who take mercury treads or anyone with CC reduction. Perhaps not even a change that drastic, perhaps you give him something like 20% reduction on DoT effects, and a 10% reduction to CC effects, 10% stacking with Mercury Treads isn't going to be vastly overpowered.

For example: Mercury Treads (I believe) has 35% reduction. So if someone hits you with a 3 second snare, stun, etc. you will reduce it approximately 1.05, meaning really that you took approx 1 second off the CC. If your 10% added its effect after the application of boots, it'd be approximately 1.95 duration on CC, 10% to that would be .195 reduction atop that, meaning it goes drop 1.95 duration to 1.755 duration on that individuals snare, stun, whatever. Still over half the amount of the duration, so it isn't quite that overpowered, where it finds its use is in the DoT reduction and supplementing your teams ability to lower CC's already (and your own W and R).

Q : The damage is nice, decent range for a skill of this caliber, 12 second cooldown is decent enough, however if you consider it a skillshot, which I'm assuming it is, a 15 to 20 second cooldown would still suffice. Cooldown reduction on this skill might be vital, depending on the opposing teams makeup, at least, that's my opinion. I believe it definitely can work how it is. It has decent ratios, the damage over time is somewhat odd, but if the damage over time occurs as they are inflicted with the returned CC, I can definitely see how that would work. It'd be like a skillshot Teemo Mushroom with a different generated CC depending on what was stored, pretty creative in my opinion, very nice! Love this skill.

Quote:
W: Contain the problem: Sterilus shields an ally or himself for 3 seconds, absorbing the next negative status effect cast on them, storing it within Sterilus, and after the duration healing the target for .6/.7/.8/.9/1 + (.001AP) times the damage received in that time over the following 3 seconds. 700 Range. 18 second CD. 50/60/70/80/90/100 mana

This absorbs a status effect debuff, not an entire spell. Any damage still goes through during this time. After the 3 seconds, the amount of damage taken is healed over the next 3 seconds. It basically builds up during its duration before soothing the wounds. At 500 AP, it heals for 1.5x the damage received. The ‘cool’ part about this mechanic is that it scales with incoming damage, but must be used in the correct window of time to be effective. Also functions with the Q ability. A maximum of 3 debuffs at max rank can be stored at any one time, then Sterilus has a visual change (a la Singed’s crazy bubbling Ult, or Malphite’s visual changes with his passive being active or inactive) to indicate he is ‘full’ of charges. Able to hold 1/1/2/2/3 effects depending on rank. If he stores multiple charges of the same debuff type (snare, stun, Armor reduc, AS debuff, etc) then they are additive.

Example: Someone comes forward to use a 2 second stun on you or an ally 3 times, and you are able to bait the stun and absorb it each time. Your Q then has a 3 second stun component: (2 seconds + 2 seconds + 2 seconds)/2. This would take 50+ seconds with rank 5 W and a little bit of CDR to pull off if you were able to do it on cooldown (unlikely), but rewards you for consistently timing the W well.

E: Ground Current: Sterilus throws a lightning rod with a chemical tank attached into the ground, grounding out 1/1/2/2/3 targeted harmful spells toward allies for 3.5 seconds. Takes 1/1/2/2/3 ‘strikes’ from harmful spells before exploding itself, dealing the damage it absorbed in an AoE overcharged explosion. Explosion has a 1 second delay. "Explosion" sequence is triggered upon reaching max charges, or after 3.5 seconds if at least one spell has been grounded. Untargetable, like Jarvan’s flag. Range for placement: 625. Range for absorbing spells: lightning rod must be a within 600 distance from the target of the spell. Damage: Deals .6/.65/.7/.75/.8 of the incoming damage that was grounded, before mitigation from resists, etc, in magic damage. Range of explosion: 450. 25/24/23/22/21 second cooldown. 80/90/100/110/120 mana

This spell scales from damage grounded, not AP. I really want this to be a bit of anti-burst from bursty characters, and not be dependent on AP scaling from Sterilus himself.

This is a teamfight move. You drop it near someone you want to blast as fighting starts, then hit them with Q to add some damage of your own. If the team uses harmful damage abilities, it explodes and hits everyone near it.
W : Another interesting one, it seems like a Nocturne Shield you can place on others (although it only blocks CC effects), and instead of an attack speed buff afterwords you gain a HoT (heal over time) and stack CC's for your Q.

One semi-large problem, a team of 5 opponents, a teamfight occurs - you hit an ally with this containment, he absorbs a slow or snare (things he can still use skills and move around in) and then as soon as it absorbs that, they hit him with a stun and really lay into him (or see the shield and switch targets). The thing I'm trying to get at is, the way its worded, it seems like it absorbs only one incoming negative hostile effect - and you're leaving it up to the foes as to which CC they'd like to have you absorb before hitting you or your ally with the harder CC effect. I do understand it works decently with Sivir and Nocturne, however, those are self-absorbs and they can control it pretty nicely - in a teamfight, you have 5 possible targets for CC, so you have a lot more work to do in regards to playing the "Who's going to need this shield" game.

Perhaps if you allow this skill to absorb up to the next 3 CC effects (allowing you to reach maximum stacks for your Q if they spam CC's on that particular ally) would make it more beneficial and leave less overall choice in your opponents hands? Also, I'm not quite sure the additive charge work - if you store a snare, a stun, and a armor reduc, does that mean activating your Q will put a /2 version of all three on the target hit? Does that mean you'd want to use this skill 3 times to absorb perhaps each effect three times and hit a foe with a massive CC roundup? Or will it randomly choose one of the three stored up? Or... you see what I am saying? It's slightly complicated, which is perfectly fine and wonderful in my book - but is there a system behind it that allows the Sterilus to decide who he wants to slow or stun or this or that - or perhaps his Q will only effect them with the highest stack of whichever CC is currently stored (stun, snare, etc) and if they have equal stacks, it would send out whichever current CC effect is the strongest (perhaps Stun is the strongest, next is snare, next is slow, next is armor reduc, next is AS debuff, etc. in a tier list)?

What if you worked this around so that it links an energy barrier between you and a target your close to for perhaps a more extended duration? This would give you and your linked ally the benefits (perhaps only 2 CC reduces each at max rank?) and allow you to stack your Q quicker, while also means if you use your W on an ally, it's not a punishment to Sterilus when the foes switch from the ally to YOU!

As I said, I love this skill idea especially in synergy with the Q, just a few concerns that I mentioned. Oh, last note, if you change it to say absorb the next 2 or 3 CC effects on your target, the reason that should be a better improvement is if they see your shield on someone, they may just decide to switch targets making it only viable as a mini-heal and an ability to force them to change targets temporarily - if you add the 3 CC absorb or linking mechanism, it might make the skill a little strong, perhaps increase the Mana or CD on it by another 2 - 12 seconds on CD, or another 50 or so mana all ranks.

E : Wow this ability just shines in my opinion. It really is a lightning rod for harmful spells (not just CC's) and is a very interesting idea. If their team is caster heavy (or hell, I don't know of a character that DOESN'T have a spell on them somewhere, in thinking of what a Banshee's Veil absorbs, though I believe this skill only absorbs actual AP/Mana based abilities which is still great) it can certainly shut foes down pretty hard.

The skill has a drawback with its range and range of explosion. What about Kog Maw? What about those characters like Nidalee or other longer ranged spellcasters? It becomes a very fragile or weak skill when these things are introduced. Even Annies abilities have a range of 625, and she's one of the shortest range mages I can think of! This means if they do it properly, or get lucky, they'll be outside the range of this skill - not to mention those characters with longer range on most of their spells, you may end up missing spells and still getting hit - and even if they were within the radius barely, they'd be missed by the explosion aspect of this skill! I do understand that it is a placed object and you can attempt to fight them in the middle of it during a teamfight or kite them through it and so on, but why not leave a little less under their control and a little more under yours? Perhaps increase the range to 800 at least (only 200 more, and it'll encompass most hard hitting nuker champions that are closer range) and increase the explosion radius to 550 or 650. This solves the problem of them standing at the edge and effectively wasting the explosion (and your mana and cooldown) when it goes off, and has a much higher likeliness that it'll go off with a champion closer nearby.

ALSO! Important! You can attempt to leave it the way it is and ignore my comments, however, one thing that would make this ability absolutely SHINE is to give it a second activation in order to set it off at your own will. Perhaps you remove the fact that it explodes automatically at 3 strikes, and perhaps give it a storage system, shining a different color electrically when it has stored certain numbers of spells - and then you can activate it whenever you want, or can throw it down in a teamfight and choose to activate it at 1 stack or wait for 3 (should be simple in a teamfight to get 3) and hit foes harder, which gives you a little more control if the foes are using a range that might make the explosion worthless. The second activation would give the skill a little more versatility overall in my opinion.

Quote:
R: Sterilize: (Global) Sterilus activates the nanites he has placed in his teammates’ bloodstream to cleanse all crowd control effects from them. 200/180/160 second CD. 150/175/200 mana.
R : Honestly, I do like this skill, but in all honesty with the cooldown, the mana, and only removing CC effects from all allies, it feels like a vastly weaker version of his W or Soraka's Heal. Sure it is a global ability (though Riot has been talking/working I believe on changing global ultimates to not be so global anymore) but perhaps it would shine more if it wasn't a CC Removal version of Soraka's ultimate! Not to mention, what about those that have no CC's on them? This effect is essentially wasted on them for such a high cost of mana and cool-down! What happens when the foes communicate, or are wary of your ultimate, and watch you use it on someone top lane, and so they jump someone bottom lane? Top lane individual STILL might die if they have enough CC up top to replace the CC they lost, and might just outwardly do enough damage beyond all CC to kill them anyways, and the person bottom who just got jumped after your R's use now have no real benefit! At least with Soraka's any health they're missing they can recover a bit of, at least putting them on semi-equal ground if their lane-foes were to suddenly jump them.

Most players who play Sterilus will likely want to be around their allies, and thus usually have W open to them as an option - and with your passive, CC doesn't hurt as much when you're nearby so it becomes a very frail ultimate. Painful!

Scenario: Think about it, they get hit by an Ashe arrow from across the map, you instantly cleanse it with this, however the 2 in the lane jump him and hit him with their own CC's, effectively only removing Ashe's stun, keeping the damage from her ultimate, and now the other two are mass CC'ing him while hitting him with more damage. All you did is help him get a flash off, activate his ghost, or two steps away before the two in the lane jumped him and afflicted their own CC.

How about this, make range similar to Caitlyn's ultimate or Nocturne's ultimate (or don't change the range at all), and then change some effects. Perhaps if you cleanse CC effects on allies (INCLUDING Slows and slows from items) it heals them for something like 300 (+0.4 AP) for every CC effect on them on top of the CC removal itself? If you did that, it'd punish foes that activate 2 CC's on an ally at the same time while your W is on CD. Or, perhaps it cleanses all CC effects from allies and then gives them resistance (this can go well with your passive or cleanse!) to CC effects for 4 seconds after that? That'd seem a bit more in-line with how the character overall works. Just my thoughts, though. Simply cleansing sounds a little like it'd reduce his other skills and make his W become more useful than his R (After all, who would want to take rank 2 in his R after they have Rank 1? Reduced cooldown and increased mana? Why not get some CDR items, spam your W more often, save yourself the mana, and do the same effect globally? See my point..?)

Also, if you changed it to heal them based on the CC's on them, perhaps with a large range on it, or a huge targetting circle still with decently long (Caitlyn/Nocturne ultimate range?), you might be able to make this ability even stronger with a slightly shorter cooldown and still keep some of the range on those allies that aren't close enough to have you use your W on them. That's all just my 2 cents though.

Better than all these perhaps, how about you cleanse all CC's globally, however, if anyone is cleansed by this, they also gain the effects of your W shield on them afterwards? This makes your ultimate shine extremely well, so if its a CC that has a low cool-down, or multiple CC's are being spammed one after another on him, you can cleanse him or her from across the map, and with the application of your W on anyone cleansed, ensure they have a chance to get a heal and escape!

Quote:
Skin Ideas:

Normal look has a bit of wear on it, like rusty Blitzcrank does, and skins would include "Pristine" Sterilus, who is gleaming and shiny and new, and "Overworked" Sterilus, who has a bit of purple or green ooze slightly leaking from his torso at a joint or two, and a few more dings and scratches.
Hahaha, I do enjoy these skin ideas, especially overworked. He's supposed to be the cleaning bot, but has since become dirty himself, good times!

Anyways, I hope those thoughts helped, overall I love the concept, love most of the skills, but there are some discrepencies that make me wonder if certain skills can be changed to help his overall kit.

You asked me to review after reading my huge wall-of-text Yara champion, so I thought you intended me to use the same wall-of-text characteristics here! I LOVE this champion concept, you rock for coming up with it (I'm jealous)!

-Trey

FangOverFang

04-15-2011

i like the champ well thought out and really well balanced, but i get confuse on the reading lol but good concept please view mines too and comment thnx!
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=665747

Ultramerican

04-15-2011

Trey:

The Q is intended to be a targeted ability, like Zileans bombs, etc. Because it is his only real offense, I didn't want it to be skillshot-dependent.

The W would, in my opinion, be too strong if it took more than one effect at once. I think this because of its function with the Q spell and small fight dominance. I'll think about scaling it to absorb 2 at higher ranks, though. Might be balanced in the teamfighting phase.

I like the idea of adding something to the ultimate, like a version of his W shield. It would give your team a great sustained heal if you can survive the first 3 seconds of burst. I will probably incorporate that, great idea! Would also allow quick charging of your Q for teamfights. I'm not sure how powerful a global CC break is by itself, but since he has little offense, it might be great...

Thank you a ton for your input, I read every word! If you have any others you;d like a longer review from me on, let me know!

Jay

KamaitachiTrey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Huntsman

04-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramerican View Post
Trey:

The Q is intended to be a targeted ability, like Zileans bombs, etc. Because it is his only real offense, I didn't want it to be skillshot-dependent.

The W would, in my opinion, be too strong if it took more than one effect at once. I think this because of its function with the Q spell and small fight dominance. I'll think about scaling it to absorb 2 at higher ranks, though. Might be balanced in the teamfighting phase.

I like the idea of adding something to the ultimate, like a version of his W shield. It would give your team a great sustained heal if you can survive the first 3 seconds of burst. I will probably incorporate that, great idea! Would also allow quick charging of your Q for teamfights. I'm not sure how powerful a global CC break is by itself, but since he has little offense, it might be great...

Thank you a ton for your input, I read every word! If you have any others you;d like a longer review from me on, let me know!

Jay
Q is fine how it is, I only assumed it was skillshot because I didn't notice anything that said whether it was a target or a skillshot or not, its perfect as is in my opinion.

W can work fine as is if you were to add it as a bonus effect to your ultimate - I was thinking that your ultimate and W were a little too fragile seperately, however, if they are used in conjunction (such as your ultimate cleanses CC and then places a W on all allies, or places them on only allies that were currently suffering from CC effects) then it would most likely be completely fine to leave as is if you use it in conjunction with your ultimate.

R - if you do actually change this and incorporate W, then you have a kit that has overall synergism. Your ultimate would incorporate your W, both W and R would incorporate Q, your passive benefits all of these - and your E is just something to cap it all off and put a pretty bow on it as a kit that is effective as Anti-CC support.

No problem! I overly enjoy over-thinking kits and giving reviews, if I, in any way, offer up something to the kit that someone didn't think of, or that gives them inspiration for a new idea for the kit, or a new kit in general, then I'm extremely proud to have helped!

Again, great kit, it's a very unique idea, and if you have any other kits you'd like me to plant a huge wall-of-text on, then by all means, hit me up and I'll work out another enormous post! Also, I will definitely hit you up if I have any other reviews I need for my own kits!

-Trey

P.S. I'll give you a hint of my next two kits that I'll probably ask you to review. One incorporates a passive that gives different bonuses to all of her abilities based on what stat she has highest; Health/Attack Damage/Ability Power/Mana. For example, if she has high health, one of her abilities will return HP to her. If she has high mana, she'll return mana, attack damage then she'll do bonus physical damage, ability power she'll do bonus magical damage, so on for each of her skills (her ultimate is going to be a crazy idea, but I'm going for it). My last kit I was thinking of was a character based on movement speed. More movement speed he has, the more damage he deals with his abilities. I was also toying with the idea of replacing one of these first two kits with a third that involves a kit that uses Taoism or ink-drawings to place curses on people, however, he'd have to prepare these scrolls that do various very gimmicky abilities.

Ultramerican

04-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WerewolfTrey View Post
P.S. I'll give you a hint of my next two kits that I'll probably ask you to review. One incorporates a passive that gives different bonuses to all of her abilities based on what stat she has highest; Health/Attack Damage/Ability Power/Mana. For example, if she has high health, one of her abilities will return HP to her. If she has high mana, she'll return mana, attack damage then she'll do bonus physical damage, ability power she'll do bonus magical damage, so on for each of her skills (her ultimate is going to be a crazy idea, but I'm going for it). My last kit I was thinking of was a character based on movement speed. More movement speed he has, the more damage he deals with his abilities. I was also toying with the idea of replacing one of these first two kits with a third that involves a kit that uses Taoism or ink-drawings to place curses on people, however, he'd have to prepare these scrolls that do various very gimmicky abilities.
The ink idea would be cool, I really liked that character in Naruto. The scaling passive with highest-stat would require knowing the exact conversion "weight" for each stat to balance, but it would be a cool idea. There are trinkets in WoW that do a similar thing, boosting your stats based on which is highest by a set chunk on proc. It fit well on a number of classes.

I'll give reviews to anything you do, I really like creating ideas that are totally new. Champs that impress me in design are Zilean, Lee Sin, and Teemo types where any one ability is cool, but the entire kit creates a really cool new dynamic with how you play. Looking forward to yours!

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

04-16-2011

Free Bump!

Well, not entirely free. You should totally come check out Yara again, I've made finishing touches on her (changed her Q and W a bit, changed activation time on stealth on E, and changed R no longer has a stun, but a slowing effect based on Web-Hoist) and would like you to re-read and check her again, see what you think!

-Trey

Here's her link in case you don't wish to go digging:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...21#post7987921

P.S. What do you think we should do with our champion concepts on this forum now that there is a Champion Concepts forum made?

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

05-14-2011

Hello again Ultramerican!

Hate to be a mooch, but if you prefer my idea over other spider champions, perhaps you could vote for my idea? I'd greatly appreciate it if you voted in general - doesn't have to be for my idea - just whichever you think is best. After all, I want to see who deserves first place, not who has the most buddies.

Here is the link to the contest:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=626550

and here is a link to the Spider Queen area of the contest:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=745432
Thanks again,
Trey