[Champion Suggestion] Sterilus, The Clean

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ultramerican

04-09-2011

Another champion made from steampunk, like Blitzcrank, is what I’m thinking here, but with a totally different function.

Sterilus, The Clean
Counter-CC support

Lore:

Created in a hextech laboratory, Sterilus began as a sanitation bot. He was outfitted with advanced cleaning agents and a diagnostic AI, intended to give him the ability to recognize and treat illness and combat the wild contaminants present in a laboratory full of hextech experiments. His AI evolved, and after his creator realized the automaton’s unique intelligence, he allowed him to leave to pursue his own existential purpose. The league captured him, and like many other champions, he was forced to ply his trade on the field of battle.

Stats/Level Scaling:

I'm not the best with champ level scaling, but giving him similar scaling to Janna or Lux would serve him fine.

Abilities:

Normal attack: Fairly short-range, ranged auto attacks. The animation is a winding-up of his right arm, like a stiff baseball toss, then he throws a spark projectile at the target.

Passive: Sterilus excretes cleansing vapors, giving allies near him 20% reduced duration on damage-over-time effects and negative debuffs. This does not apply to AoE, ground-targeted effects like Nasus’ Spirit Fire, but applies to any character-targeted debuffs, like Nasus’ Wither, or Malzahar's Malefic Visions. Does not stack with CC reduction items like Mercury Treads.

Q: Purge Tanks: Sterilus purges the contaminants collected in the storage tanks in his frame, unloading them onto an enemy. Deals 60/110/160/210/260 (.7 AP) damage over 4 seconds, and applies any debuffs collected with a 50% duration onto the target. 625 Range. 12 second CD. 60/70/80/90/100 mana

W: Contain the problem: Sterilus shields an ally or himself for 3 seconds, absorbing the next negative status effect cast on them, storing it within Sterilus, and after the duration healing the target for .6/.7/.8/.9/1 + (.001AP) times the damage received in that time over the following 3 seconds. 700 Range. 18 second CD. 50/60/70/80/90/100 mana

This absorbs a status effect debuff, not an entire spell. Any damage still goes through during this time. After the 3 seconds, the amount of damage taken is healed over the next 3 seconds. It basically builds up during its duration before soothing the wounds. At 500 AP, it heals for 1.5x the damage received. The ‘cool’ part about this mechanic is that it scales with incoming damage, but must be used in the correct window of time to be effective. Also functions with the Q ability. A maximum of 3 debuffs at max rank can be stored at any one time, then Sterilus has a visual change (a la Singed’s crazy bubbling Ult, or Malphite’s visual changes with his passive being active or inactive) to indicate he is ‘full’ of charges. Able to hold 1/1/2/2/3 effects depending on rank. If he stores multiple charges of the same debuff type (snare, stun, Armor reduc, AS debuff, etc) then they are additive.

Example: Someone comes forward to use a 2 second stun on you or an ally 3 times, and you are able to bait the stun and absorb it each time. Your Q then has a 3 second stun component: (2 seconds + 2 seconds + 2 seconds)/2. This would take 50+ seconds with rank 5 W and a little bit of CDR to pull off if you were able to do it on cooldown (unlikely), but rewards you for consistently timing the W well.

E: Ground Current: Sterilus throws a lightning rod with a chemical tank attached into the ground, grounding out 1/1/2/2/3 targeted harmful spells toward allies for 3.5 seconds. Takes 1/1/2/2/3 ‘strikes’ from harmful spells before exploding itself, dealing the damage it absorbed in an AoE overcharged explosion. Explosion has a 1 second delay. "Explosion" sequence is triggered upon reaching max charges, or after 3.5 seconds if at least one spell has been grounded. Untargetable, like Jarvan’s flag. Range for placement: 625. Range for absorbing spells: lightning rod must be a within 600 distance from the target of the spell. Damage: Deals .6/.65/.7/.75/.8 of the incoming damage that was grounded, before mitigation from resists, etc, in magic damage. Range of explosion: 450. 25/24/23/22/21 second cooldown. 80/90/100/110/120 mana

This spell scales from damage grounded, not AP. I really want this to be a bit of anti-burst from bursty characters, and not be dependent on AP scaling from Sterilus himself.

This is a teamfight move. You drop it near someone you want to blast as fighting starts, then hit them with Q to add some damage of your own. If the team uses harmful damage abilities, it explodes and hits everyone near it.

R: Sterilize: (Global) Sterilus activates the nanites he has placed in his teammates’ bloodstream to cleanse all crowd control effects from them. Additionally, Allies within 900 range have Contain The Problem (W) placed on them. CC effects absorbed by this store charges as usual, until the same maximum charges of 3. 200/190/180 second CD. 150/175/200 mana.

EDIT: My friend mentioned that a good visual goes a long way in imagining a champion, so I searched to find a more suitable image online. Thanks, Wired.com!

http://img38.imageshack.us/i/steampunkrobot.jpg/

------------

Okay, now to the applied use of the champion!

To save an ally, throw W on them and then E within range. It can cancel out a snare if timed correctly, and negate the first spell or two thrown at them. If the lightning rod maxes and you've thrown it in a good position, it can explode as the chasing enemy or enemies pass near it, turning their own power against them. If your ally lives out that first 3 seconds, he is healed according to the damage he took in that time, making the next 3 seconds difficult to kill him in, because they have to outpace their output according to how much damage they unloaded on him in the first 3. Not an instant heal or shield, but very useful in a different way.

The global ult allows him to save people from some situations from across the map! Although it does not remove exhaust, let's say your top lane gets ganked by an AP Sion. You're watching top lane, and as soon as Sion flashes in and stuns, you pop your Ult and allow your teammate to skitter off. Also, in teamfights, wait until they have settled in and unloaded CC on your carry, etc, and pop it before throwing down an E and using W on a focused target. You just freed up your team (if used intelligently) and gave them a few more seconds of survival - and if you placed the E lightning rod well, maybe semi-nuked a couple of enemy champions as well!

The Q gives him some offense and an interesting dynamic. If you're laning against someone with snares, it becomes your very own snare if used correctly. If you're laning against a Sion or Taric, you have a stun! In a teamfight it may be sort of a crapshoot as to what is absorbed, but you know you can have SOME form of soft cc at your disposal when you use Q. It also absorbs debuffs like Lux's Illumination (from her E/R, the Q "Light binding" would absorb the immobilization effect first and the target would still receive an Illumination debuff), giving some really interesting, dynamic results when fighting against different heroes in lane.

In lane, you'll be with a partner I assume, as support, and the idea is to use W to soften harassment on your partner and yourself and prevent yourselves from being caught in a bad position when you can, then engaging the enemies in your lane with E and Q when you have some charges saved up from your W. If they try to commit, their first spell or two will backfire on them from the lightning rod and the CC you have stored up is a half-duration version of whatever they've thrown at you. Judicious use of your cooldowns will lead to lane dominance, wasting your W and E makes you both very vulnerable with nothing stored on your Q. At 6, you begin 'doing the shen', where you glance at other lanes when possible, looking to save a teammate from a gank or misstep.

Example of skill-based countering: You see a Veigar stepping forward and assume he is beginning his burst with his stun wall on one of your teammates. You W the teammate quickly, then throw a lightning rod down as close as you can to the other team and near your teammate. The stun is prevented, Veigar's deathfire grasp/Q and possibly R are absorbed (depending on if anyone else is casting on a teammate nearby first), then your rod explodes for massive damage. If the Veigar sees the Rod and stops casting, the Rod is gone in 4 seconds anyway, and he can unload again before your Rod is back up.

The cooldowns are long on purpose because of their strength. My idea is a champion to 'counter' some of the abundant CC that is present in higher-Elo games. He is an anti-CC support! With all-new mechanics! Get excited! He's what we all need!

Skin Ideas:

Normal look has a bit of wear on it, like rusty Blitzcrank does, and skins would include "Pristine" Sterilus, who is gleaming and shiny and new, and "Overworked" Sterilus, who has a bit of purple or green ooze slightly leaking from his torso at a joint or two, and a few more dings and scratches.

Ultramerican

04-09-2011

I really tried here to create something to improve balance in LoL as a whole, providing a dynamic counter to a few of the game's areas that I feel are very strong and often-used (hard CC and burst). I tried to do this in a balanced way that rewards good timing and use of abilities and isn't overpowered. I really think this champion would improve the team comp metagame drastically, by giving players another support with a specific use against CC and snare-heavy teams.

Ultramerican

04-09-2011

Also, does anyone know how to apply for the League Rookie list, etc? Are they simply picked from threads like this or do I have to apply?

Ultramerican

04-09-2011

Lots of views and no comments, now I know how all of the Champ Suggestion people feel when looking for feedback! I'll bump this one last time here, and go try and create good comments on other people, maybe stir up some interest through my activity on this subforum.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this!

Soupcup

04-09-2011

I like this Idea, actually. But just to elaborate on the E, you throw it down and up to 4 spells who are targeted at let's say you, (if you're within the range of the rod) they go to the rod and have no effect on you? Or do they still damage you but the rod gains a charge? And after the charges are built up, does it wait 4 seconds to explode or just automatically explode?

The W- Is it a spell shield? As in it completely absorbs the CC effect? But you take the damage? and then 3 seconds later you get hp back? Or is it right when you take the damage that you get the hp back?

As a scenario, you throw up W, Sion throws his stun, it has no effect on you except damage is still there. But if you had the E out it wouldn't even hit you because it gets absorbed into it, then if Sion stays in range attacking you for 4 seconds he gets equal damage to the amount that the stun would have done to you?
Basically what I'm saying is that I like this idea. It's nice and interesting. I just need to see things more clearly so that way I can get a little bit of a better understanding on how those two skills work. It seems with the way these two abilities (W and E) are explained, that your W would have no effect on you or anyone else if they were in the E's range because the spell would redirect to the rod. Just need some clarity. But overall, good job

Ultramerican

04-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupcup View Post
I like this Idea, actually. But just to elaborate on the E, you throw it down and up to 4 spells who are targeted at let's say you, (if you're within the range of the rod) they go to the rod and have no effect on you? Or do they still damage you but the rod gains a charge? And after the charges are built up, does it wait 4 seconds to explode or just automatically explode?

The W- Is it a spell shield? As in it completely absorbs the CC effect? But you take the damage? and then 3 seconds later you get hp back? Or is it right when you take the damage that you get the hp back?

As a scenario, you throw up W, Sion throws his stun, it has no effect on you except damage is still there. But if you had the E out it wouldn't even hit you because it gets absorbed into it, then if Sion stays in range attacking you for 4 seconds he gets equal damage to the amount that the stun would have done to you?
Basically what I'm saying is that I like this idea. It's nice and interesting. I just need to see things more clearly so that way I can get a little bit of a better understanding on how those two skills work. It seems with the way these two abilities (W and E) are explained, that your W would have no effect on you or anyone else if they were in the E's range because the spell would redirect to the rod. Just need some clarity. But overall, good job
Clarification: The rod grounds the spells completely, and only grounds a maximum of 1/1/2/2/3 spells, depending on rank. It lasts 4 seconds, not 4 spells. The explosion happens 1 second after reaching its max charges (again, based on the aforementioned ranking) or after 4 seconds if at least one spell has been grounded.

W absorbs the first debuff (snare/stun/AS debuff/Armor debuff, etc) and does nothing else except exist on the target for the first 3 seconds. After that, the target is healed in a DoT over the following 3 seconds based on how much damage they took in, modified by its rank and your AP. It is a great backend heal, but only absorbs one status effect on the first 3 second front-end.

For your scenario, let me clarify: If Sion stunned you, then came in and popped his shield before hitting you a few times, and you had a Rod (rank 1 or 2) placed and W (Rank 5 with no AP, as an example) up on yourself before he came in, the Rod would ground the Stun completely, then the shield would pop and do damage to you, along with his auto attacks. One second after the stun is grounded, the Rod would explode for the stun's damage. Three seconds after you activated your W, you would begin healing for the exact total damage he dealt to you during those 3 seconds, over the next 3 seconds. He would basically have to kill you with the shield and hits in those 3 seconds or back off, since that damage is re-healed over the following 3 seconds. You've also dealt .6 of the damage from his stun back to him if he's near the Rod a second after he sends out the stun.

edit: At that point, if you have eaten a stun effect from Sion with your W earlier, you can unload your Q back at him, stunning him for half the duration of the regular stun, and dealing your own damage back. If you are whiffing W or they bait your E out, then you are extremely vulnerable.

Does that help clarify?

J

04-09-2011

Very well thought out. I like it. +1

Kriptini

04-09-2011

Ooh... I like him. He'd be an amazing counter for Morde... but unfortunately, he makes Cass even more useless. >_>

I'd reccomend lowering the number of harmful effects he can outright prevent or cure, otherwise it seems like he can just negate the damage of champions like Cassiopeia and Teemo.

Ultramerican

04-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriptini View Post
Ooh... I like him. He'd be an amazing counter for Morde... but unfortunately, he makes Cass even more useless. >_>

I'd reccomend lowering the number of harmful effects he can outright prevent or cure, otherwise it seems like he can just negate the damage of champions like Cassiopeia and Teemo.
Thanks for the feedback!

He can only prevent 1/1/2/2/3 spells with his E, in a short window, which is a relatively long cooldown, and the W only prevents 1 status effect in a small window but prevents 0 damage. His Ult is a partial counter to Ults that are hard CC, but has a long cooldown. It seems like a lot, but he has to use them really well to get the most out of his abilities. What does he counter of Teemo's other than his Blinding Dart? I feel like a skill-based counter to those types of abilities is okay to have in the game, and if you W someone to prevent the Blinding Dart, any number of other effects can land on that champion.

How does he counter Cass? I'm not a Cass player, but he could only prevent 3 spells worth of damage at max rank, and other than her fangs, Cass's spells are AoE so they can't be grounded. You could W if you were anticipating an Ult to prevent it, but if she saw it she could simply wait it out. It's a small window.

Does this make more sense? I edited the post to make it more clear by adding "targeted harmful spells" to the description of what E grounds.

edit: Spells like Fiddles' fear are NOT grounded, they must have a damage component to them to be grounded.

Ultramerican

04-09-2011

Edited a final time to include clarification on spell mechanics and rank scaling. +1 the OP if you like the concept! <3 to my fellow Champ feedbackers