[Guide] Lux: Keep Your Distance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xienwolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2011

The main reason that a lot of us Lux Players say to ignore Q in favor of E (and even W, but just in the sense of ignoring Q) is to keep the mana cost of Q low. It is the passive autoattack afterward for damage, and the hold duration that interest us most. As long as we can spam Q like mad, we are happy with the results. A little bit higher initial damage on Q isn't going to rock our world nearly so much as being able to launch 3x as many.

In fact, I would propose deviation from ANY guide I have ever seen, and say "Start with Q, and then don't spend your skillpoints at all, unless you can put them in E. Save points to get multiple ranks in Q all at once when you finally get decent mana regen set up"

If you take this route (or even don't put more than 1 point in E either), then not only do you spam your spells a LOT more early game, but since your spells are relatively easy to dodge, and you do nice damage with a simple auto-attack after they land, the enemy doesn't REALIZE that you have wimpy level 1 spells.

They will still dodge the E Field, they will still pray not to get hit by the Q Ball. Whenever they do get hit by one, you follow with an auto-attack and they still think it was significant damage dealt.

When the enemy finally realizes that you aren't doing squat for damage, then you retreat and shop. Pick up some AD and MP5, SPEND YOUR SKILLPOINTS, and come back doing 5x as much damage as you were doing when you left because they were getting cocky.

Haven't seen many people argue that your guide wasn't written from gameplay. Just that their own (also successful) gameplay differs significantly. One of the reasons I love Lux is because you have the option to choose from paths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrinkle View Post
i've never understood scaling runes from the flats. so if flat is better and will give you more. why do scaling runes exist?
There is a thread in Guides which compares all scaling runes against their flat components. But basically, at level 6, the Scaling starts to give you more than the flat.

So the advantage of Flat is in levels 1-6. This is a time when you don't really have any other items, so the stats on the rune are significant, and since the opponent also lacks heavy stats, they can tip the balance. Advantage of Scaling is in 7-18. At this point you have items which can give you a LOT more of the stat easily, so you are using the runes to supplement what is normally lacking in your item build, or to get things which item builds don't offer much of (like Movespeed)

grayrest

04-07-2011

If you don't mind watching streams, look up Roku's Lux games. Pretty much any of them, since I can't remember the last time he's streamed a bad game on her. His build is very close to yours so you can see E vs Q, when/why get W, and positioning to protect mejai stacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrinkle View Post
i've never understood scaling runes from the flats. so if flat is better and will give you more. why do scaling runes exist?
Scaling runes add 1.5 AP per level so 1.5 at 1, 3.0 at 2 ... 9.0 at 6 ... 27.0 at 18. Flats are always 9.

Whether scaling or flat is better is a more involved topic. The individual balance of scaling vs flat varies depending on the stat and the slot. There's a pretty extensive analysis of which runes are best over at runeterra (note that supercarry is no longer the meta so I'd recommend flat armor seals over dodge, they're hella cheaper):

http://runeterra.com/forums/index.php?topic=1137.0

That said, even knowing the comparative benefits doesn't exactly tell you what to pick. One example where going flat AP runes over scaling might be Zilean because double bomb is a 2.0 ratio at level 2. Others could be Jax in order to boost his level 1 health or Kayle in her gimmick 70 AP at level 1 build.

Edit: Xienwolf, are you the FFH Xienwolf?

SundownAbsolute

04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xienwolf View Post
The main reason that a lot of us Lux Players say to ignore Q in favor of E (and even W, but just in the sense of ignoring Q) is to keep the mana cost of Q low. It is the passive autoattack afterward for damage, and the hold duration that interest us most. As long as we can spam Q like mad, we are happy with the results. A little bit higher initial damage on Q isn't going to rock our world nearly so much as being able to launch 3x as many.

In fact, I would propose deviation from ANY guide I have ever seen, and say "Start with Q, and then don't spend your skillpoints at all, unless you can put them in E. Save points to get multiple ranks in Q all at once when you finally get decent mana regen set up"
Huh. This is a great idea and I'm going to try it in my next Lux game. I've been having great success with her ({3-5}x-x-{3-5}x typical scores), but I had been maxing e, then q never thinking of the mana+spammability aspect.

Xienwolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayrest View Post
Edit: Xienwolf, are you the FFH Xienwolf?
Yup I hope nobody ever steals my name, it is nice being able to know my login for any random website no matter how long ago it was that I last visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundownAbsolute View Post
Huh. This is a great idea and I'm going to try it in my next Lux game. I've been having great success with her ({3-5}x-x-{3-5}x typical scores), but I had been maxing e, then q never thinking of the mana+spammability aspect.
It really is rather awesome. I hadn't thought about saving from even spending on E beyond the first point until I was writing that post. Plan to try that out later today when I get time to play again. Seems like I could zone far better with near unlimited spamming capacity.

Saint Athena

04-30-2011

I really like this build & have been using it a lot thanks. I like guise over void staff as it's about half the cost & a tiny bit of hp in there too. It means I can harass a lot better early game or at least in my opinion it is. I've had some people heckle me on the guise over void...but honestly most of them have no right to be talking. So great guide..I'll be continuing to use it give or take a tweak or 2 sometimes depending on the team =)