Need help finding a tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jebbou

04-06-2011

I would love to see some kind of chart to map most champs abilities, because right now, I feel that many people assume that tank = "non-squishy initiator with some CC". Non-squishy, support, tanks and initiators, they do not need to be on the same champ. If you got Ashe's arrow to initiate, you could focus on a non-squishy support offtank with CC to defend Ashe (Tarik? Cho?). If you have no initiator, but already got a non-squishy bruiser, you could get Blitz to bring opponents in range.

For instance,
Alistar: Non-Squishy, meh-support, Good Tank, meh-initiator (flash reliant)
Shen: Non-Squishy, good support, good tank, meh-initiator
Moakai: Non-Squishy, good support, good tank, good-initiator
Blitz: Non-Squishy, Good Support, Meh-Tank, great Initiator
Mundo: Super-non-squishy, no support, no tank, okay initiator (just run in the lot)
Tarik: Non-Squishy, great support, meh-tank, no-initiator
Garen: Non-squishy, no support, no tank, no initiator
Morde: Non-squishy, no support, no tank, no initiator
Nunu: Non-Squishy, No support, meh-tank, no initiator

So, depending on your current team composition, you might want something totally different than a "Tank" per say. Considering that you already have a long cooldown non-squishy initiator (Malph), you might want to take either a backup initiator, or maybe more of a support-off tank when your team already has offensive power. Maybe Tarik, Xin or Lee Sin would work? Considering that you have an initiator, maybe a tanky caster would also work in your case. Swain or Mordekaiser following up on Malphite's setup could be devastating if they are build properly.

Anyhow, just look at your team composition and see if you've got an initiator, and then somebody to soak the damage and CC the enemy. Then fill in the empty role.

Erotic Asphyxia

Recruiter

04-06-2011

Just start learning offtanks that can get the job done too. Nasus/Singed are fantastic and helped me win a few games in low elo. Singed especially actually because his R basically = beast mode steroid. I'll list a few tanky champs and offtanks that are good in low elo ranked. They aren't hard tanks but they are good enough because most likely the enemy team doesn't have an offtank unless they got a good tanky dps like jarvan/renekton.

Singed
Nasus
Irelia
Jarvan
Renekton
Xin Zhao (offtank build)
Warwick aka Tankwick
Olaf (such a beast, never picked and never banned)
Mundo, he's more of an unkillable tanky dps unless they got ignite but he's a strong choice if you get good with him
Gragas, although no one really plays him anymore.
Nunu - Amazing jungler, fantastic team steroid for your carry, dangerous ult if left unchecked.
Taric - Strong tank, CAN initiate with his Dazzle + flash to debuff them with shatter then press R so they can all target you and realize you are healing all the damage you are taking! <3 Taric

Almyka

04-06-2011

Warwick is pretty nice
Pick him!

saixx

04-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scannor View Post
Tanky and tanks are two different things.
I don't see people in ranked picking Udyr as a tank.
really? cause thanks to season 1 update I can't count the what should be 100+ games prior I have as udyr and the 50ish now I've used udyr, the majority as main tank. He can main tank so easily. People focus him because he can stun your entire team, he has aoe, he has tiger which now with buff can make him kill even tank in tank build, and turtle to soak up damage and easily tank turrets. Last game I bearmanned I pathetically got 12/0/16. Our TF had 12/1/16. Complete utter domination. Bearman can build pure tank and still kill thanks to tiger buff and tower dive madness. You can jungle very quickly and safely coming out at 4 min-4:30 mark with bear speed boost and stun with liz slowing. If you dont get the gank your teammate was asleep, they hadnt let the enemy push so u could get in(in which case you shouldnt be ganking that lane), or an evil stun and flash combo was put on you.
Bearman is very tanky by default, turtle shield/lifesteal, natural dodge from passive, bear movespeed and stun that can go off on multiple people without a recast, tiger dot and atk speed to give them a reason to focus u aside from that you will be stunning them every time 5 sec same target not stunned ends. Bearman is amazing main tank

sorry for spelling/grammar typing at work between work

Jebbou

04-06-2011

"Last game I bearmanned I pathetically got 12/0/16." Good for you, but I think you missed the point of tanks. Your job should be to ensure that your carry get such results. If I were your opponents, I would simply stun you, focus your carries, and then take care of you when your team breaks and runs.

Simply put, Udyr is not a great initiator (running and stunning for 1 sec is not great), has no way of saving his carry from being focused (except for a close combat 1 second stun), and deals a great deal of damage. To me, that sounds much like a bruiser. But hey, considering that the OP mentioned his team already got a Malphite as a real initiator, your bearman could just be a great followup (stunning and beating anyone hit by malph's Ult).

edit: that being said, I'd still be interested in seeing your tank build though =D

saixx

04-06-2011

I think you missed the point that I said "pathetically," and that I said TF got the same score except he died once. I was portraying two things in this. 1 that he has amazing survivability and 2 that he does enough damage to warrant threat. His stuns also add to this threat to make him targetted. Way to ignore the reast of my thread. Also stunning for 1 second isnt great...on one person he can stun many targets. I would prefer him to be an offtank any game I play him, but we cant always get that can we? "I want to play this champ and thats who I'm gonna play!" seems to be pretty common. ...dude we have 2 other AP we dont need a 3rd...oh nvm u locked him in even though you clearly saw the other 2 AP and us saying pick a tank or ranged carry. You have to learn to adapt and pick accordingly.

My build is runes armor pen red, armor yellow, aspd blue(used a aspd red for a while, can swap these for cdr blue), 2hp quint, 1 exp quint.

Gear start cloth n 5 hp pots. Build into madreds and boots1. Build into wriggles. boots get situationally, merc for cc heavy team, otherwise go for swift so u can be more efficient for stun powa. Next is generally a neg cloak for early MR into a BV. Then a ....i forget the item name for the item built into randuins thats 975g with 200hp 27 armor 5g/10(yeah sad I know every detail of item besides name) into randuins(get the gold flowing until you get it). This puts u around 150 armor 130 MR. I usually follow this with FON against casters, a Glacial shroud for CDR against phys. Next is thornmail if heavy phys like tryn or fed ranged carry.

really the beauty of bearman is his adaptability. He isnt cho that egts eaten by a malz or BR. He isnt galio that is based around MR for best output or malph armor. He can throw on shield and mine sweep for teemo shrooms(I used to use him a lot so know 90% of where teemos throw their shrooms and would rather have shield eat it then have 2-3 teammates pop it for a chunk of health).

Bearman just throws on a shield eats a ton of damage and plows through the team. turtle to absorb initial attacks-Bear charge in and stun 1-3 people, Tiger carry, Turtle reshield, Bear restun, Tiget carry if not dead otherwise support. Woo took out 4/5 people lets push...oh no minions are way back. turtle-tiger-turtle-tiger can tear through a turret. Bearman is a good tank, a godly offtank though.

Whom

04-06-2011

I think that despite a rough first game with Singed, he's a lot of fun and very strong if you play him right.

Two big factors in your game are that:
1) Singed is the most item-dependent tank in the game and is very weak before level 5-6, although you generally have great potential to punish overly aggressive play.
2) Akali has huge early-game burst and can absolutely kill someone at half health in one burst at level 2. This Akali player was clearly very comfortable with her champ and knew exactly what she could get away with.

Here are some tips I have as a Singed player:
Play extremely defensively early game when you have a solo lane against a good harasser. Don't risk losing a chunk of health to grab last hits, just soak up XP. By the time your poison is level 2 you can farm safely, and by the time it's level 3 you'll disintegrate creep waves, so gold isn't an issue. Once you've farmed up a bunch, you can run around the map pushing lanes like a madman and nobody will be able to stop you.

If you're thinking of giving Singed another shot, check out Dyrus's guide:
http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=5