Fiddlesticks, I suck.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bridget FF

08-23-2009

I have been playing League of Legends for a day now. So far, I'm addicted, and that's no fancy figure of speech - I have been playing all day. Unfortunately, I have been mostly losing, and the scattered victories are thanks to overwhelming teamwork (probably most of it being done by my team mates and not myself) and sheer luck.

On an individual and personal level, I am having trouble finding a champion that works for me. Fiddlesticks appealed to me from the beginning, and I remembered someone back in the DotA days telling beginners to pick whatever hero appealed to them, regardless of the difficulty, and to learn it well, using the pleasure you find in playing it as motivation to progress and become more skilled. So, I'm going to follow such advice. I'm going to stick with Fiddlesticks.

I'm pretty good with early game harassing. I mostly level up Drain and Fear, though as of lately I've been leveling between Drain and Dark .. I forgot the name, but it's the ability that summons crows that sweep from enemy to enemy. Tossing some crows and pulling a Drain can really deal some heavy early game damage. However, this is probably useless, as I never get a kill. I do manage to keep them away from their creeps, by standing to the side and trying for one-hits. When they advance, I do too. It usually sends them back.

Early-mid game, I do fine. Well, in usage of abilities. I can only really net kills when I am with my team mates. When I use Crowstorm and Flash in, I can manage to stay beside my enemies, but once the crowstorm wears off; They simply turn around and beat the hell out of me. My only real chance is to follow it up with a Drain, and even that is signing a death wish. The case, otherwise, is that the enemy manages to outrun me, or I am much too weak to pursue them even up to the detection edge of turrets. Once late game kicks in, I'm pretty much useless on my own, if I ever were useful, and must rely on just picking off weak enemies running from my team mates. When I am overwhelmed, even by a single opponent, I am sure to die, unless I can get off a Flash or Fear them away.

So, my problems are that I am weak (both defensively and offensively, outside of my abilities), I can't handle my own, and I can never finish off lone enemies. However, my biggest problem would be item management. I have absolutely no clue which items to buy. A Fiddlestick Guide I read kind of overcomplicated it (or I'm just stupid when it comes to this game) so could someone post some general tips, and an item build for countering a casters based team and countering melee based teams? Thanks, and sorry for the wall-o-text. I perfer to write lengthy messages instead of noobing out with "help how 2 play diz gaem??1?"

Nerdz

Adjudicator

08-23-2009

Hi there Bridget,

I can start of by giving you some tips here and there. I have been playing since the early betas, and I consider myself a decent player ( nor amazing nor poor ).

So to start with you have just stated that you are able to harrass early game but aren't able to finish of the kills. One of the reasons this can be happenning is that you are either trying to kill a oponent with full health or you are not taking the oppurtunity of the mistakes your opponents makes. Using your tower for early game kills is very usefull especially from the fact that you have a nice CC ( fear ). Also it is sweet when you no well your opponent to bait him by being half health, and using that as your advantage. Seeing you with lower hp alot of players will try and kill you off, though you have drain life which is a great dps and also a good buff. Try also to communicate as being 2 on 1 champion can help for early game kills.

Mid-Game : You said you had issues with the fact that as long as your running next to your opponents with crowstorm your good but once it ends they turn arround and kill you. First try to always follow the looner the one that is trying to escape or the lowest hp. Crowstorm is super effective but requires a good timing. Also never push to close to your opponents as your are one of the squishiest out there ( you will get focus fired ). Make sure you also combine your crowstorm with drainlife and fear ( you can cast after crowstorm channel ). Make combos with teamtes IE : stun 1 fear another 1 an run in with crowstorm very effective for double kill. Try to remember to NEVER be alone and always keep your distances, play DEFENSIVELY as LoL is a game of timing and patience more than Spray and Pray *jump in* type of game.

As far as items goes : your best bet with Fiddlesticks is to go all out on AP : start of with either a book +20ap, or mana regen item if you want ot harrass. Maximize your purchase with mana pots. Get either boots early ( Sorcerer's ) if you find your slow and you need to run faster. After that concentrate on getting your Meja's soulstealer FAST as with fiddle you can get good early / mid game ganks, you will need to additionnal AP. After that you have 2 choices : Either you go for Archangels if your having a fun time out there, if times are rough, you might wanna try getting ROA for more HP // Mana. You also get both if you game is long enough and end up with zhonya's or forget ROA if your game is going well and move straight on to zhonya's.

N.B.

For your masteries go with what you feel suites more your playstyle, like the summoner abilities n such, you might wanna give a look a the utility build, which is very usefull. As far as Runebook goes you can either go AP, Mana Regen, or even CD reduction. Spamming Fear Drain is awesome

Hope this helps, have fun.

Nerdz

Hiclic

08-23-2009

A good way to digest a guide is to break it down. First you need to understand why they're taking the skills in the order they are and how they apply to their proposed tactics. Second, you need to read the item builds in order to understand what the writer is trying to do with the champion and build. If you aren't a fan of the character build, that's fine, study it like you would an enemy. You will no doubt run into people using that particular guide, better informed than sorry.

I'd also suggest getting a sticky note and writing the item build down on it (just the main items that won't be combined, the components will be in the tree under them in-game). This gives you something to reference if you're in the middle of a game and draw a blank at the vendor. Toss the skills down too if you feel you really need them.

The greatest lesson you can learn from a guide is it's just that, a set of guidelines. If you see an exploitable weakness in the opponents that your character can use, don't let a guide get in the way of a different approach.

Envoy

08-24-2009

I also play fiddlesticks. I do good with him. I level just dark wind/fear. Fear is a great CC and dark wind deal good damage, you can farm with it early game, and can silence half of your enemys fear. It also helps after yousing flash+crowstorm combo, not letting to flash from you and other escape mechanisms. Life Drain IMO sucks. Early game its useless. Buy a few health potions and its enough. And it deals great damage only late game,dealing ~100dmg each half seconds is great.The first item i have is the soulstealer becouse it gives MASSIVE ap. Hope i helped a bit.

Teran

08-24-2009

Drain Life isn't useless early game, it's just harder to use effectively.

Hiclic's advice is very good. Some guides are hard to digest as a complete package. What I do is start with the aspect of the champion I am most confused by (usually skill effects and buy order) and once I have a grasp on that and a pretty good idea of what stats I'll want I go on to read the recommended items section of the guide. Once I have done that I boot up a practice game and play it long enough to get these items and get a feel for how this champion performs against creeps / bots and what kind of damage (or survivability) each item provides. The last thing I'll do is browse the item store. A lot of the time the recommended items (talking about the guide recommended, not the in game recommended) are recommended for a certain situation or range of situations... effectively they are what is likely to be best the highest percentage of matches. This makes things convenient if you're not sure what to expect from a match but sometimes an item not even mentioned in the guide might be the ideal choice for a given situation.

To start though, just boot up a practice game, look at the items recommended by the guide and then look at other similar items. Some have interesting abilities, others have slightly different stats. If you look at all these choices though you'll start building a mental blueprint of what works where.

Fiddle really does feel like an early bloomer though he remains extremely effective the entire game, the end game will give you trouble because more and more disables will be unlocked and used against you (well depending on enemy team makeup). On top of that the carries start becoming a significant factor and even if you flash crowstorm someone like Tristana she may just burn you down faster than your crowstorm can burn her. Focus on the early and mid game and you'll have a big impact late... you'll be especially effective if you get a carry in your lane and you manage to out harass them and slow them down, thus reducing their effectiveness later on.

Good luck

BL4zD

08-24-2009

I noticed that you mentioned you felt pretty much useless alone once late game kicks in. Well, depending on the coordination of both your team and the opponents, the fact is nearly everyone is "useless" (I suspect you mean vulnerable) individually. The other team will be roaming and looking to gank and more often than not have multiple disables.

The other problem is that you'll get focused on by the other team because you're both vulnerable (easy to kill) and potent (difficult to ignore). That means by the time your enemies can kill you easily and quickly, you need to start lurking around...corners, ledges, shadows.

Those are my main hints, but the other thing you should know is I started with sticks too and played him a ton of times and then read that guide and my effectiveness dropped. I now have that plus my own playstyle (among others by now) to choose from, but sometimes those guides won't match your idea of how to use a champion and that's ok

The Mimic

08-24-2009

I certainly hope it wasn't my guide (http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ead.php?t=5546) that confused you Bridgett. If not maybe you could read it and some of the advice inside could help you. It's written as a guide as to how to start in the jungle with Fiddle, but there's some good tips for laneing and hero killing as well.

Most item builds will have Fiddle ending up with about 1800-2000 hit points at level 18. This is relatively low, and if you don't have that much HP it's even lower. Many Assassin build characters (Pirate, just for example) often brag about 1000 damage crits, which is about half of your HP. So just like the old proverb to play Fiddlesticks effectively the best defense is a good offense.

You're doing the right thing by using Crowstorm in conjuncture with your Flash summoner ability, and you say you can keep your opponents inside of the Crowstorm with your movement speed. That's great, but you need to know that you should be using Crowstorm at the right time. Try using it when your allies are nearby and the enemy is advancing to a tower. Towers are often near parts of the map called "choke points", meaning they can't evade the area of effect without endangering themselves further or bunching up into tight groups. This will create a lot of chaos for the enemy team and give your allies an opening to attack.

Also, try leveling Fear and Drain first instead of Dark Wind. When you Crowstorm and Flash immediately Fear your target and Drain them. You won't always get the kill if your allies decide to attack that target, but you'll be doing a lot of damage. Make sure you're fearing someone that isn't going to die from Crowstorm alone.

Below is a recommended list of items from my guide:

Doran's Ring (A boost to hit points, ability power and mana regeneration)
Boots of Swiftness (Helps you keep pace with enemy champs and will probably help with escaping a fair amount as well)
Fiendish Codex (Helps with ability power and mana regeneration)
Mejaj Soulsteeler (Steals mana when you kill an enemy champion, and increases your AP by 10 per kill for a maximum of 70)
Lich Bane (Further increases your AP, movement speed, magic resist, and makes your attacks hit harder between spells)
Abyssal Sceptor (Lowers target's magic resist, raises your own magic resist and ability power)

After all these are finished and you're still dieing an awful lot pick up Warmog's armor. It'll provide a huge boost to hit points and hp regen.

I certainly hope this and my guide helps, Bridgett! Good luck!

Bridget FF

08-24-2009

Would Rylai's Scepter (The next generic attack from your character after casting a spell reduces the enemy's movement by 35% for a few seconds, I think) be a good choice for Fiddlesticks if my opponent manages to get away?

The Mimic

08-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget FF View Post
Would Rylai's Scepter (The next generic attack from your character after casting a spell reduces the enemy's movement by 35% for a few seconds, I think) be a good choice for Fiddlesticks if my opponent manages to get away?
It's a good item, but it's very expensive (the second most expensive ability power item, below Zhona's). If you want to give it a shot go for it! You could replace Lich Bane with it. You'll be doing less damage but they'll have a harder time getting away. Another way to slow your opponents with Fiddle that doesn't require Rylai's is the Lizard buff. You just kill the lizard boss (the neutral monster camp that's in the middle of 3 neutral camps) and your attacks slow and do extra damage on each attack.

Bridget FF

08-24-2009

Just went 9-2 with Fiddle, so obviously the advice helped. Thanks.