[Guide] Taric the Unkillable

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xano74

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2010

This is a guide to make Taric into an unkillable tank/support champion. He will be able to support the team through many auras, be able to tank like no other, and do some decent damage. Just don't expect him to have amazing DPS or anything.

I will start with the basics.

Masteries: 0/21/9.

Runes: All armor for Mark and Glyph. All dodge for Seal and Quient.

Summoner abilities: Clarity and anything else (I use fortify)

Items (in order of buying)
1. Ruby Crystal
2. Ninja Tabi
3.Cloth Armor
4. Null-Magic Mantle
5. Aegis of the Legion
6. Mana Manipulator
7. Giants Belt
8. Soul Shroud
9. Emblem of Valor
10. Starks Fevor
(I will end here because no game so far has gone past me getting these items)

Ability Tree:
1.Shatter
2. Imbue
3. Dazzle
4+. Grab shatter and max it out ASAP. Follow that by Imbue and max that out ASAP. Put 1 level into ult at 6. Max dazzle out. Ult should be maxed out last.

Gameplay Strategy:

With this build, you will be able to survive just about anything. At the beginning, the combo of shatter and a teammate will make ganking you impossible. Once you get Imbue, you can freely wack on minions to regain mana even if you have a ranged character attacking you because you can heal faster than they do damage.

Once you get dazzle, you can start doing damage. If an enemy gets cocky, dazzle them, shatter them, then bonk them to death. If they are foolish enough to try and fight, just heal. You will outlast them. Most likely they will run, which is good. It allows you to continue farming minions for gold and mana.

Once you are the later levels, and you have all the powers, the best way to contribute is to get those auras. Shatter maxed out gives everyone +30 armor around you. Aegis gives more armor and damage to everyone. Soul Shroud gives mana regen and cooldown regen to everyone. And starks gives lifesteal, health regen, and attack speed to everyone around you. This is a team build, so stand by your teammates.

In teamfights, you are the tank, so take the damage. If they ignore you and go after a squishy, stun them, shatter them, heal the teammate with imbue, and watch the enemy die.

If YOU get ganked, heal yourself with imbue, and then turn Radiance on while you run away. I've been ganked by 4 people and have survived because of the high armor, HP, and health regen from imbue and radiance.

Conclusion: This is a very team oriented Taric. Do not expect yourself to do anything extravagant by yourself. Your team will love you for all the auras, the heals, and the tanking however. You will not die much, but even if you do, it usually ends up with you dying and your teammates killing the entire enemy team. 1 for 5 is good for me.

This Taric is meant to be played calmly. If you have no patience, then this build is not for you. You will wear enemies down through attrition, not by extremely quick dps.

If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer as best as possible.

-Xano

Aurax

02-19-2010

Also, chalice helps you to keep your spells up for longer periods; combining it with mercurys instead of ninjas will give you the MR you need to be "unkillable"

Relying only in your physical attacks for mana regen at the beginning seems risky.

But good guide, I play him almost exactly the same.

Cheers!

Kesshisan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-19-2010

Xano74,

As a Taric player I feel I want to voice my opinions about this guide. To be blunt, I don't like this guide.

You say you want Taric to be unkillable, yet you have neglected some key items which define an unkillable Taric.

1) No Spirit Visage. With the recent buff to this item, it should be one of the earliest items you acquire. Especially as Taric. As you know, Taric's heal will heal himself even when he targets someone else. Spirit Visage makes your heal a powerful item, even if you only heal other people.

2) Your build is lacking in Physical Defense. Granted Shatter will take care a bit of that, but a Thornmail and/or Warden's Mail are key items for physical resistance that people should consider.

3) Mercury Threads > Ninja Tabi for survival 9 times out of 10.

4) Mana regen can be a problem for Taric. Your build lacks both attack speed and mana regen. Most importantly is the early game.

When I play Taric I start off with a Meki Pendant, and as soon as I get 500 gold, I pill back and get a Chalice. Often times I will remain with only this one item up until level 13 or so, since there always seems like something I need to be doing... It isn't unheard of for me to blue pill back with over 3000 gold at this point.

Another thing, if you are relying on attacking mobs and/or champions for your mana regen, you are putting yourself at risk. Surviving isn't just about being able to take damage, but to be able to avoid damage by not being in the line of fire can be equally as effective. A Chalice can give you the ability to remain in the backlines for a lot longer while still being useful.

One last thing:

5) Your defensive items should be a reflection of what your team can do, as well as what your opponents can do, not a set item build. Are you up against a mana heavy team? You need to incorporate a Banshee's Veil and/or Force of Nature into your items somewhere. Does your team have a lot of mana users? Snag an Abyssal Scepter. Are you up against a lot of physical attackers? A Frozen Heart and/or Warden's Mail are two very good items to consider. And don't forget the usefulness of a Guardian Angel.

Just for comparison, my Taric goes like this:

Start: Meki Pendant
Blue pill as soon as I can (500ish gold) and buy a Chalice.
Mercury's Treads
Next time I return to town, if I have more than 1250 gold: Spirit Visage.
If I have less than 1250 gold: I buy a Stinger (or build up to a Stinger.)
After Stinger/Spirit Visage are complete, Soul Shroud
Turn that Stinger into Nashor's Tooth
1 Defensive Item (changes depending on the enemy team composition.)
1 extra Support Item (changes depending on my team composition.)
Finally, I sell my Chalice and buy an Innervating Locket.

Most games don't even make it to the "1 extra Support Item" purchase, let alone that Innervating Locket. But on occasion I end up with more money than I know what to do with. Anyways, I've found the above setup not only gives Taric incredible support and durability in the front lines, but permits him to fall back to the back lines and still be effective when things get hairy.

I hope this helps.

Grovel

02-19-2010

Agreed with the Chalice + Merc boots comments. Solid Mana regen and great base MR go a long way.

Do people really recommend blowing Shatter in team fights? I mean, if you're winning and they're in flee mode and you can pick off a straggler, sure. But essentially aren't you a walking buff bot and should keep it up for the rest of your team?

I love the idea of Taric and when he's played well it's amazing to watch, but he's probably the most frustrating Champ to pub with as he's one of the more useless heroes if you're on a bad team.

EDIT: Also, to the guy above me, No Aegis? I thought that was pretty mandatory on Taric?

Kesshisan

Recruiter

02-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovel View Post
Agreed with the Chalice + Merc boots comments. Solid Mana regen and great base MR go a long way.

Do people really recommend blowing Shatter in team fights? I mean, if you're winning and they're in flee mode and you can pick off a straggler, sure. But essentially aren't you a walking buff bot and should keep it up for the rest of your team?
This is highly situational. You really have to judge what's going on in the game. Though, if I can get a shatter on 3 enemies, I'll almost always pop it. An extra 600-1000 damage added to the fight is very useful. If you think it's going to make the difference between getting a kill or not, then definitely pop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovel View Post
I love the idea of Taric and when he's played well it's amazing to watch, but he's probably the most frustrating Champ to pub with as he's one of the more useless heroes if you're on a bad team.

EDIT: Also, to the guy above me, No Aegis? I thought that was pretty mandatory on Taric
Sadly, I dumped my Aegis for a Spirit Visage. I love an Aegis, but there are just too many other things a Taric needs that by the time I'm picking of an Aegis, it's just not that useful.