Nasus as an Initiator?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grovel

02-19-2010

Successful Nasus players:

When you're the heftiest champ on your team, how do you initiate team fights? I ask because two games last night I played Nasus were night and day depending on if I was the only "tank" or not.

Is the strategy to basically run at someone, hope their teammates join in, and hit your ultimate after you've baited them? I have a lot more success with Nasus when I can stand back a bit, let things develop and THEN run in, pop ultimate. Should Nasus be an initiator?

Beegly Boogs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2010

Run in and make loud bear noises over vent.

Sheriff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-19-2010

Ideally you'll want to let someone else initiate on Nasus, however his ult does allow him to take a lot of punishment, so successful initiation becomes highly situational. Since focus firing / disabling hurts Nasus considerably (I believe it stops his life regen from the ult), you'll want to examine three things: what disables they have, what tools you have to counter them (cleanse, flash, banshee's veil etc), and if you can survive their initial burst DPS sufficiently.

In terms of direct initiation, I find that opening with a Spirit Fire can sometimes buy you the slight hesitation in the enemy required for successful initiation, and if you've got champions on your team that benefit from the armor debuff the fight could further swing into your favor. Wither is also a viable option if one of their champs strays too close to the group. Keeping mobile is also a priority at all times, as you'll ideally want to be around melee range in order to use SS and your ult effectively.

Hope that helps somewhat.

roninsm

02-19-2010

Never initiate with Nasus. His ult is not an initiating ability. Use it after the fight has begun. There is a section in my guide here (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=62154) about using Nasus in team fights if you want to take a look. I'm too lazy to write it out here.

What zanno said about using Spirit Fire is also a good point. Use it while the teams are jockeying for position to keep them where you want them. If they choose to fight on top of it, you'll be in great shape due to the armor reduction.

Grovel

02-19-2010

Thanks. I was just making sure. Played a match that looked like an instant queue dodge last night, but decided to roll with it (Katrina, Mundo, Gang, Morgana). My team kept telling me it was my fault for them getting picked off pushing mid, while I stayed in the back near a tower, when they'd been feeding all game. I tried explaining why Nasus can't really initiate, because everyone just runs away.