Kassadin Builds Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MegaHero

02-18-2010

So Kass is my most played champion and imo one of the most fun champions to play. Just though I'd start a thread about what builds people like to use on him.

I always start with a Mana Crystal which I build in to Catalyst. I get Rod of Ages only if I get the gold before the 20 minute mark. If I feel like it will be a really long game I'll still get it around 25 minutes. After that I've started going Boots 1, Mejai's and Sheen. Upgrade boots after that to Sorc or Mercs depending on the enemy team. Generally games are over by then and Rod/Catalyst + Sheen + Clarity is more than enough mana so if it keeps going I just stack as much AP as possible or get a Void if the enemy has a ton of MR.

I also started running Clarity/Ignite. I find Clarity to be incredibly useful on Kassadin and with the mastery it can really help out your team. Other than that I do the usual 9/0/21, never really take the Ignite mastery I like the -15% CD on summoner abilities. With the run speed mastery you have 375 MS with boots 1 so there isn't really a rush to upgrade boots.

kijik

02-18-2010

sheen, gross, it's fine-ish if your build has a strong emphasis on survivability, but otherwise? that's a big MEH.

Clarity is cute and all, but I don't like the idea of having an abundance of mana on kass, kinda enforces the mindset that it's ok to spam riftwalks and risk having a 500+ mana cost rift walk built up that you need to escape, but you're sitting at 400 mana, in this scenario it would be while clarity is on cooldown.

Oh, and a builds discussion is nice and all, but the problem withstanding is there's so many Kass guides out there, that it's kinda over discussed at this point, only thing I really see worth discussion is a possible physical build.

systran

02-18-2010

Kass builds need to get AP, max mana, and optionally HP. From my experience with Kassadin, I rarely find the HP to be optional. You're going to need to buy some kind of non AP item to get more mana, and I'd rather get catalyst than tear of the goddess. You shouldn't be lingering around in fights, but walking in to forcepulse is often going to make you get hit, and I find that having more max HP allows you to drop in and burst more often. It's great if you have 100 AP early game, but if trying to get one burst off costs you 80% of your max HP, that will be your last safe burst. Also when you have such low max HP you are more likely to get targeted.

A lot of the Kass builds on here recommend early soulstealer and then more AP with no kind of survivability. I feel like getting the early catalyst (to later build into veil or rod) helps a lot with laning and is preferable in most games to just rushing soulstealer and going really glass cannon.

MegaHero

02-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijik View Post
Clarity is cute and all, but I don't like the idea of having an abundance of mana on kass, kinda enforces the mindset that it's ok to spam riftwalks and risk having a 500+ mana cost rift walk built up that you need to escape, but you're sitting at 400 mana, in this scenario it would be while clarity is on cooldown.
Just keep track of your Riftwalk count and your mana left. An abundance of mana on Kass is always a good thing imo.

And really, there are few options of spells to take over Clarity. I ran Exhaust/Ignite for awhile which is good but I love Clarity now.

dovvntempo

02-18-2010

I'd love to see DogKaiser talk about his dps build. Supposedly it centers around a triforce.

on that note, I remember a kass I was on the enemy team I was chatting it up with talking about how a top-elo kass was recommending getting trin, nashors, and a few other items on him. Worked so-so, but he was new with kass afterall.

all other builds besides dps have been discussed to DEATH by some of the "few" regular users of kassadin.

Empyron

02-19-2010

AP build

Sapphire Crystal > catalyst
Boots 1
Amplifying Tome > Mejai's
Boots 2
Start building to Lich Bane
Abyssal Scepter
Catalyst > Banshee's Veil
Last item probably never get to but I'd go for Deathfire Grasp.

DPS build...

Only tried this once and wasn't a huge fun but I did eat a lot of towers.

Phil Stone
Greaves
Rageblade
Trinity Force
Warmog's
Bloodthirster

/shrug

Aethewn

02-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empyron View Post
DPS build...

Only tried this once and wasn't a huge fun but I did eat a lot of towers.

Phil Stone
Greaves
Rageblade
Trinity Force
Warmog's
Bloodthirster

/shrug
Just bought Kass and was thinking about dps/hybrid based on rageblade too.
Kinda
Sheen, Rageblade, Nashor's, Banshee, Sorc Boots
But i find it's difficult to keep stacks on Guinsoo, and without decent regen (rushed sheen and guinsoo) it was almost impossible not bp after every fight.
Any thoughts? At least for low elo? XD

kijik

02-20-2010

the dps builds I see posted here are rubbish. that's about it.

I've had a couple matches against DOGKaiser, and if he hasn't changed his build since, from what I saw, and talked to him about, the core is
Trinity
Defensive boots(generally Tabi)
Banshee's veil.

Item build order looked something like this
Sheen
Boots
Catalyst
upgrade boots
finish trinity with phage then zeal.

IIRC masteries were 21/9/0
since you make full use of all the offensive talents with this here hybrid dps build, it's a good choice, and the 9 in defensive for nimbleness since he usually gets ninja tabi, ntm the extra armor and slight magic resist never hurts.

usually games actually ended by then, and this build is pretty **** cost effective for what it does, not to mention providing a healthy amount of hp, and enough mana, with effective spell cast usage to smash some pretty serious face.

I played with the build myself for a few matches and it really is comparable to an ap build, just a bit of a different style.
After the core, I built rageblade, and theorycrafting it, I'd tack on a frozen heart after the rageblade, from that point, I'd imagine nashor's wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I honestly need to do more testing on this now that, due to lack of play, I seem to have fallen down the elo ladder a bit, into more of a safe zone to test out builds in solo queue. I'd do it in practice but that's not realistic for me, they're all stomps.