dragon... how big of an advantage is it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dovvntempo

02-18-2010

In game while killing the dragon I haven't paid attention to the xp bonus, gold bonus just because... well I never bothered. I'll do it in a second, but I'd like to ask the question subjectively anyway.

how much does it matter to have "control" over the dragon? Will killing it twice give everyone on your team a level advantage or what? In the same way that golem buffs and lizard buffs really boost your team's / carries ability to harass and kill, what role does getting the dragon 1x,2x, and so on have in the course of a game? People will say when describing who's winning or losing "and we've got a dragon over them" and so on.

? enlighten me puhreeze.

TaigaStance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-18-2010

Every bit counts. It's like a child saving up his allowance to buy candy at the store.
Actually that's a bad example. Let's go with you borrowing a large sum of money with interest on top of it. And let's say for each day you don't pay back the full sum, you get charged more. Naturally you want to pay back the full sum as soon as you can otherwise you'll end up paying more.
LoL is a snowball game. The more advantage you have against the enemy, the more in favor it will be for your team in the end. Neutral dragon is what it is. You kill it, it benefits the whole team. Just like taking out a tower, it gives global exp and gold. It adds up.
Early-mid game, that extra exp and gold makes a difference. Say your ally was a Karthus just a bit from level 6 and he's back in base because he was ganked up top. Your team just manages to take out the dragon and the global exp gives him a level. Suddenly, you're ambushed by the other team's mid and bottom but manage to fight them off because they weren't well coordinated or something. Two of them run away, and you lack the mana to end their lives. What's this? Karthus has his ult ready and he rains hell on them.

I mean, that was an extremely situational situation made up on the spot, but think of it in terms of helping your allies in an indirect way. Control the map, benefit the team, and you will (have a better chance to) conquer the enemy.

With a teammate, it doesn't take too long to kill it anyway.

KirbyHero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2010

How does the choice between 2 manning the dragon compare with taking the bottom turret if it's open with a few minions in front of it?

I figure going for dragon is better since champs will show up to push you off the tower anyhow, but my pubber solo queue teammates rarely agree.

Tenmar

02-18-2010

It's worth is very underrated especially to teams who already have that bit of map control. Remember the dragon gives universal exp and gold and on a 5 min. respawn. Also there are tools that make the dragon drop with madreds and lizard buff where early on an elixir and second person is all you need. If you get to wipe part of their team and you cannot push any towers taking their creeps and getting dragon is critical to keeping that advantage.

In many games there are always players like tank characters or casters who don't farm that will fall behind in exp. The dragon can really help for those who lag behind or don't take the chance farming.

Fbsunny

02-18-2010

@Kirbyhero, the difference is the oppurtunity to kill dragon is more likely to be there in the future though. If you do manage to take out that bottom tower, you will have plenty of time that your enemy is pushing back from their inner turret to kill dragon.

Killing dragon gives everyone on your team 130gold, and the person who killed it gets an extra 25 or 35. This is somewhere between the gold your team gets for two assisted kills or two unassisted kills. I don't know how much experience it gives your team compared to a kill but in this case everyone gets it, instead the concentrated experience from a kill.

It's not as important as team composition or player skill, however it certaintly can make a difference, especially when you can get a certain big item a trip sooner. For example if you are already back at your base and 120g short, then you get dragon and have enough to by your first BF sword at level 6 or w/e.

ItsCollin

02-18-2010

I find it advantageous because it gives the other team a chance to push a little bit and feel secure, opening up some ganking possibilities. It also encourages your team to move as a whole, if you simply run around doing nothing people start to drop off and do their own thing.

Plus, dragon dies fast and gives good bonus gold... why not?

Parkinsonian

Recruiter

02-18-2010

It's about 675 gold every 5 mins. Given a game will be around 30 mins in length almost all of the time. That amounts to 5 (delay) * 675 = 3375 gold difference. Or over 11 kills worth of gold, at no decay. This is huge.

Grovel

02-18-2010

See, here's my problem with dragon, or rather my team's. This situation plays out nearly EVERY match where we have a strong start.

Bottom lane manages to kill an enemy or 2 early thanks to a good gank. The problem: our creeps aren't exactly pouring into the turrent and it's gonna take at least 2 waves to bring it down. Meanwhile every other opponent is making a break for our half-health, no ultimate-having, poor tower pushing group, and the dead are reviving and coming back for revenge. Just about everyone at the tower gets wiped.

Time and time again I try to get my 3 man group to go farm an early dragon instead of making a half-a ssed attempt at a tower that will probably wipe us and I get called an idiot for pinging the dragon. Yes, late game when you can easily push 1 or two towers because you melt them, I understand ignoring the Dragon at first, but shouldn't dragon be a much bigger priority early game?

Am I wrong? I mean I know if you can kill a tower, take it and then take dragon, but if it's a toss up, shouldn't you just kill the dragon instead of taking 1/2 the life off a tower?

kijik

02-18-2010

dragon is roughly equivalent to the first, or is it second? tower.

and it respawns, and in your average 30-45 minute game, you can kill it 6-8 times, that's 6-8 free towers if you control it well enough.

I'll leave it at that with a side of, imagine if the enemy team got that advantage over you.

dovvntempo

02-18-2010

glad I started the thread. It's worth hearing everyone's opinions on something that happens EVERY game