Do you want the Spider Queen to join the League?

Yes 24,208 85.79%
No 4,010 14.21%
Voters: 28218. You may not vote on this poll

A challenge from Zileas himself, The Spider Queen needs you!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SoBeNirvana

Adjudicator

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Farsight View Post
To elaborate on my second point, it wouldn't surprise me if Elise and Syndra were champions that had already ben worked upon since a long time ago
I know for a fact that Syndra was originally slated to be released around the time of Cassiopeia, so yeah - long time.

MikuMelody

10-18-2012

If they make this a skin for her they will be ok in my books:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...8&d=1343628821

I also luv her passive. reminds me of that idea i posted on here like a month ago where Spider Queen would lay eggs in human form and they would all hatch when she transforms

Gixia

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
All this is visual stuff that I have much less insight on - I just wanted to talk about why we knowingly changed the character despite the expectation.
Well, could you kindly bring in someone from the art department who does have insight to discuss this please? Could you make this a priority for IronStylus when he comes back from vacation?

I want to know why the decision was made to take the concept of a female monster champion with a regal air about her and turn it into yet another under-dressed ***** wearing the most impossible set of heels in existence.

Was Priscilla ugly, with room to make her more attractive? Sure. Did the victorian theme not really suit LoL's art direction? Certainly. Could the concept have been tweaked in such a way that we still got a female champion who was a little bit monstrous, while displaying a little bit of class and regality? I would've thought so, but apparently not?

This is something that's genuinely upsetting me, that we could have gotten a champion who was unique and different from what we've had before, and instead it's the same underdressed super model as usual. Except this time it feels downright insulting because we've clearly seen she wasn't always this way, but was changed to look like that. Especially after all the fuss about the way female champions are portrayed that's been raised lately.

Yes, I'm aware champions take time to create and she wasn't just made recently, but likewise she's not made in a vacuum either. Someone along the way should've questioned these decisions, especially when Diana was released recently enough to show that Riot is aware of the issue. I want to believe IronStylus and RiotNarya when they say they're making a conscious effort to change things, but stuff like this does not instill confidence.

I love LoL. I was initially drawn to the game by its art style and the variety I saw in all the champions. But as time goes on, I'm noticing there isn't really as much variety as I thought there was, not as far as the women are concerned, and it's reaching the point where I no longer feel comfortable giving you guys my money because of it.

I apologize if this post comes off as a bit melodramatic or angry. I'll go so far as to admit that I'm just lashing out at this point. I've been suffering through a bout of depression lately, and for a long time, LoL has been one of the escapes I've used to deal with it. Only I'm finding lately that it's making things worse for me, not better. And I'm not content to just stay quiet about something that bothers me this much. Not while everyone else is raving about how 'cool' she is and too few are bothering to point out that, aesthetically at least, she's the same damned thing as alwas, barely even repackaged.

TheLastBaron88

10-22-2012

I actually think she seems to have a very unique playstyle, being a hybrid mage/melee assassin with what is essentially a built-in zhonya's active. Her stun ability seems remarkably weak and kind of out of place in comparison with the rest of her kit though. I think it would make more sense for it to increase up to a 2 second stun when maxed out, since it is a slow skillshot that can hit minions, and deals no damage, as well as causing no additional effects. Or, since it seems to be intended for chasing or escaping, maybe add a short but strong slow to the end, after the stun wears off? Like 20% for 1.5 secs, just enough to close or create a gap.

Gryphon48

10-22-2012

Victory is ours!!

Morello

Lead Designer

10-22-2012
20 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrmidont View Post
You have your own personal tastes....its not like you haven't existed in a gaming environment subjected to boat loads of game art assets...

You make the sausage you should have a more firm grasp of what the wrapper should look like then your average joe...right?
I think your reticence speaks more towards your personal tastes about the art...and its absolutely fine to have personal tastes..

After all the non designers still talk about champs and how they feel about their balance... should they just shut up?

Its not like they're asking you for the final word on all art assets in the game...they're talking to your tastes

Why not a dryder after all shes basically a weak sauce form of one with how her legs are attached to her human form...you could always turn her into a full fledged spider keep the exact same kit, and it seems like it would work....design wise they'd keep an even closer "read" and be harder to miss "read" as another champion.
Because I need to be objective when creating - this means, that as much as possible, I need to not let my personal tastes influence things. I really believe that's what professionalism is borne of.

What's my opinion, subjectively as a player? I'm actually really into clever or dark ****, Warhammer 40K and darker. I want the main hero, the world, and the universe to end after a story. I want no resolution, only despair - it's moving and awesome to me as a consumer of media.

I don't actually -care- either way about the female form argument, and leave this to experts who do make those decisions (not me) to think about. It's just not a subject that I either care about nor can I add a lot of value to.

I also think having feelings first and thoughts second is destructive to us as reasonable people. While I have my own fair share of irrational stuff, I keep it out of my work.

MikuMelody

10-26-2012

since its not gonna happen anyway, here's the skillset i wanted for PRISCILLA:
Passive: Camoflage- For 2-4 seconds after leaving bushes, Priscilla is stealthed
Q: Corpsemaker- Pulls herself to a target, dealing attack damage on impact
W: Ensnare- Trap that snares and gives vision of enemy champions that walk over them, Priscilla's attacks and spells deal extra damage against that target for 5 seconds after the the trap is sprung
E: Inject Spiderlings- Stabs a target with claws while injecting them with Spider eggs, If the enemy dies within 3 seconds, 2 spiderlings are born.
R: Thirst- Gives her massive Attack damage and lifesteal

Also, i wanted the spiderlings themselves to have skills that could be used holding down another key(such as control, shift, tab, etc) and q, w, e, or r
Passive: Brood- for each spiderling alive, all spiderlings gain 2 attack damage and +2% attack speed
Q: Ambush- Spiderlings focus on a single target for 3-6 seconds
W: Toxic Bites- The spiderlings' basic attacks would gain poison for 3-5 seconds
E: Sticky Webs- Their basic attacks would gain a slowing effect for 2-6 seconds
R: Revenge- For 5-10 seconds after Priscilla dies, this skill can be activated giving all spiderlings massive attack speed and damage, and causing them to attack the killer

TheLastBaron88

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikuMelody View Post
since its not gonna happen anyway, here's the skillset i wanted for PRISCILLA:
Passive: Camoflage- For 2-4 seconds after leaving bushes, Priscilla is stealthed
Q: Corpsemaker- Pulls herself to a target, dealing attack damage on impact
W: Ensnare- Trap that snares and gives vision of enemy champions that walk over them, Priscilla's attacks and spells deal extra damage against that target for 5 seconds after the the trap is sprung
E: Inject Spiderlings- Stabs a target with claws while injecting them with Spider eggs, If the enemy dies within 3 seconds, 2 spiderlings are born.
R: Thirst- Gives her massive Attack damage and lifesteal

Also, i wanted the spiderlings themselves to have skills that could be used holding down another key(such as control, shift, tab, etc) and q, w, e, or r
Passive: Brood- for each spiderling alive, all spiderlings gain 2 attack damage and +2% attack speed
Q: Ambush- Spiderlings focus on a single target for 3-6 seconds
W: Toxic Bites- The spiderlings' basic attacks would gain poison for 3-5 seconds
E: Sticky Webs- Their basic attacks would gain a slowing effect for 2-6 seconds
R: Revenge- For 5-10 seconds after Priscilla dies, this skill can be activated giving all spiderlings massive attack speed and damage, and causing them to attack the killer
Sounds like you want Broodmother from DotA 2.

The Ace

07-04-2014

Old thread.
Birth of Elise.
Bump

Buboniic

07-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
Old thread.
Birth of Elise.
Bump
LOL This comment made my day :3