What do ya'll think of a "Gangtank"?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Fat Battler

02-16-2010

Or "Tankplank." Or whatever you want to call it. I'd rather call him "GangActuallyLivesThroughTeamFights."

I've been doing some testing and stuff, and I know for a fact that this build is at least viable thanks to Atma's Impaler.

Give Plank a Warmog's and Atma's, and you get a champ with 3000 HP, Remove Scurvy, 112 Armor, and +69 attack power (which is 75.9 given to Parrley). Atma's is also pretty cheap, and gives Plank Critical Strike. You throw in Infinity Edge and Sorceror's Boots and it's 10785 G, which Plank can easily farm, and that's 49% Crit chance, 279 Damage for Parrley, and survivability.

I know I almost described a Cho'Gath build, but with this build Plank has an interesting niche: does AoE magic damage with Cannon Barrage, is a legitimate threat in melee now because he doesn't die instantly, is a threat at a range due to Parrley, supports his friends with Raise Morale, and can generally survive ganks.

Plank also benefits from other HP giving items like Frozen Mallet and even Soul Shroud and Banshee's Veil. Catalyst the Protector can will help Plank stay in the lane for the entire laning phase.

I really hate playing him nowadays since he gets focus fired like no one's business without doing enough damage (pre-patch Mageplank's Parrley would generally encourage Ashes and Yis to stay away, too). I also play a bunch of soft tanks (Taric, Nasus, Kayle, and Soraka) and I like the idea of survivability + support/damage, and I applied it to my favorite champion, Gangplank.

Rectal Necrosis

02-16-2010

Haha, sounds like what I did with twisted fate a while ago. I gave him a cho'gath build. Stopped every cho'gath dead in his tracks.

Joru

02-17-2010

Don't buy Sorcerer's Boots anymore. Since the last patch, Parrrley works with armor penetration, not magic penetration.

Arcostis

02-17-2010

This is nearly how i play my gangplank. I open with philstone or chalice/2 cloak of agil/turn cloaks into inf edge and atmas. then whatever item is situational from there. i dont quite go tanking but i get a lot of survivability

The Fat Battler

02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekmaster View Post
Haha, sounds like what I did with twisted fate a while ago. I gave him a cho'gath build. Stopped every cho'gath dead in his tracks.
Yeah, a tanky build on TF is probably viable since he might have a few things in his arsenal that help him there, but it brings up the same question I'm asking about Tankplank:

It can be viable, but is it effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joru View Post
Don't buy Sorcerer's Boots anymore. Since the last patch, Parrrley works with armor penetration, not magic penetration.
I buy Sorceror's Boots to make Cannon Barrage more powerful. The other choices for Boots on Plank IMO would be Merc Treads, Zerk Greaves, and Boots of Swiftness, but I don't particularly like Zerk Greaves since I don't think Plank makes a good Melee DPS.

I actually rush Haunting Guise, anyway, to use Cannon Barrage in the mid game. Barrage is so useful with Magic Pen, and I think it's warranted to get Magic Pen, anyway. Heck, sometimes I can throw my opponents off balance, with them going for some early MR so they don't get owned by Barrage, and then I sell off my Guise and go physical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcostis View Post
This is nearly how i play my gangplank. I open with philstone or chalice/2 cloak of agil/turn cloaks into inf edge and atmas. then whatever item is situational from there. i dont quite go tanking but i get a lot of survivability
Atma's is a wonderful item for Plank as far as survivability goes, and I think it's becoming a standard item on Plank. Chalice would also give you some extra MR, so I can see that you get some survivability.

Mrtakeiteasy

02-17-2010

sounds like a fun build hahaha after that get 1 phantom dancer for the dodge/move speed/crit for more survivability later on.

I might try it sometime for the hell of it, sounds like something to do for the awesomeness .

Morzas

02-17-2010

Stacking HP will boost your damage once you have Atma's, but stacking armor and magic resistance is superior. This is because of Gangplank's innate heal. Every point of armor or magic resistance you have increases its effective heal by 1%, so if you have 100 armor it heals for twice as much EHP, 200 armor, three times as much, etc. I run this build when I play a tank-plank:

Catalyst the Protector
Ninja Tabi/Mercury's Treads depending on matchup
Riceblade // Cloak of Agility // Zeal
Aegis of the Legion
Atma's Impaler
Upgrade Catalyst to Banshee's Veil
Upgrade Zeal to Trinity Force or Phantom Dancer depending on matchup // upgrade Cloak of Agility to Edge (rarely gets to this point)
Guardian Angel (I basically never get this unless they've been feeding me a lot)

Summoner spells are Heal + xx, where xx is what the team needs most of the following: Rally/Clairvoyance/Smite/Exhaust.

Stuff I want to experiment with: Spirit Visage seems like a solid choice now.

The Fat Battler

02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morzas View Post
Stacking HP will boost your damage once you have Atma's, but stacking armor and magic resistance is superior. This is because of Gangplank's innate heal.

Every point of armor or magic resistance you have increases its effective heal by 1%, so if you have 100 armor it heals for twice as much EHP, 200 armor, three times as much, etc. I run this build when I play a tank-plank:
I usually try to get 100 Armor and 100 MR, and I don't really stack HP unless it's with Banshee's and maybe if I get a Frozen Mallet or a Soul Shroud.

But as far as Gangplank having a heal goes...while your theory works if Plank uses his heal a huge ton, you don't realize that his heal is much more effective as a get away tool rather than something you pop every time you are damaged. This means that you save his heal for removing stuns and slows, not for actual healing.

Quote:
Catalyst the Protector
Ninja Tabi/Mercury's Treads depending on matchup
Riceblade // Cloak of Agility // Zeal
Aegis of the Legion
Atma's Impaler
Upgrade Catalyst to Banshee's Veil
Upgrade Zeal to Trinity Force or Phantom Dancer depending on matchup // upgrade Cloak of Agility to Edge (rarely gets to this point)
Guardian Angel (I basically never get this unless they've been feeding me a lot)

Summoner spells are Heal + xx, where xx is what the team needs most of the following: Rally/Clairvoyance/Smite/Exhaust.

Stuff I want to experiment with: Spirit Visage seems like a solid choice now.
Yeah, I usually go for the Banshee's Veil with Gangplank, since Catalyst is such a good item, and Banshee's helps Plank survive not just one stun but two stuns due to Remove Scurvy. Merc Treads for extra MR, and Atma's usually rounds out your armor. As far as Aegis goes, I'd rather a real tank get it rather than Gangplank.

Recently this has been my build:

Doran's Ring
Catalyst (1st if I'm being harassed all day) (sell Doran's if I need to)
+
Haunting Guise (1st if I'm feeling not as squishy) (sell Doran's if I need to)
Boots
Sorceror's Boots
Cloak of Agility (x2)
Atma's Impaler
Banshee's Veil (sell Haunting Guise if needed)
Infinity Edge

And then I keep Soul Shroud and Frozen Mallet in mind. Soul Shroud is usually my late game item if I can keep Haunting Guise and use Barrage alot; I sell my Guise for Shroud. Mallet is if I have some Melee DPS on my team.

IHelpPro

02-17-2010

I don't think tankplank is playing him to his full potential. Your goal is to knock off 2/3rds of their carry's HP with a parrley and repeat every 5 seconds. I find now, pirate needs Infinity edge+brutalizer+ full APEN page to do any real damage. Kinda sucks considering old pirate can put on the hurt with just Infinty edge/sorc boots/haunting guise and could get full crit damage/crit chance page

The Fat Battler

02-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHelpPro View Post
I don't think tankplank is playing him to his full potential. Your goal is to knock off 2/3rds of their carry's HP with a parrley and repeat every 5 seconds. I find now, pirate needs Infinity edge+brutalizer+ full APEN page to do any real damage. Kinda sucks considering old pirate can put on the hurt with just Infinty edge/sorc boots/haunting guise and could get full crit damage/crit chance page
Yeah, the thing behind my thinking, though, is that Pirate really needs to wait until lategame to do real damage to enemies now. So, while we're waiting, I give him survivability and crit chance.

If he's supposed to be a bit of an anti-carry, my builds work out; Frozen Hammer helps him close the gap to a ranged enemy while he shrugs off their ranged attacks. I've beaten Yis one on one as Pirate due to how bulky he can get.