[Guide] Nasus, Curator of the Sands

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ráisa

03-05-2010

This build works very very well if you run a double tank comp, Just having an alistar/ammumu/malphite
to initiate the fights works so well

redorkulator

03-05-2010

I am liking this build so far, any thoughts on Soul Shroud? I like it as an item but am having trouble fitting in my build order.

Also, and this might be Nasus 101 to all you, but casting SF on a wave near a turret is a bad idea if an enemy champ is anywhere near you, all he needs to do is walk into the SF and cast a snare.

This is really only relevant early to mid ie trying to push while someone has pilled or has dropped from the lane.

roninsm

03-05-2010

Good point on the SF. I forgot to mention that. I actually like to cast SF when a wave is pushing a tower. It forces the champions back a little so that your creeps can attack the tower longer. If you do choose to do this however, make sure you back up as soon as you cast.

As far as soul shroud goes, by the time you get around to buying it, mana shouldn't be an issue for anyone, so the aura is basically a CD reduction aura. This is really good for some champions who depend on their ult for being productive (fiddle for example). So as a situational, it's worth considering at least. I would probably take Frozen Heart first in most cases though.

80kidz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2010

Is chalice really necessary if you already have mp/5 regen runes? I'm only @ summoner 23 so I don't have all my rune slots unlocked, but do the level scaling mp/5 runes really make that much of a difference that you wouldn't need to buy a chalice? Just skeptical because the guys @ solomid and half the other guides on Nasus don't have chalice in em, but they use lv scaling mp/5 runes for glyphs. My masteries are at 9/0/14 w/ meditate and improved exhaust.

Also, is a blitzcrank a suitable laning partner for Nasus? My friend has been playing him fer a bit & we queue together, but I read that Blitz needs a lot of last hits to get going, so I dunno if it'd gimp us or not cause I usually take most of the last hits w/ sf.

last thing, is cleanse worth it over teleport? I find myself getting focused/blinded/stunned/whatever whenever I pop ma ult and it really doesn't seem to be doing much. If anything, how should I play in general when the enemy is towerhumping and won't seem to get out soon for my team to gank them? Don't find much use in tele except in the laning stage, but I go back once for my chalice & some of aegis or boots then the ganking stage begins.

roninsm

03-05-2010

Chalice is not necessary if you have the runes for regen. I just haven't been able to afford them yet, since I prefer to spend the IP on more champs.

In general, you don't want to lane with someone that needs a lot of farm, since they will have trouble getting it and both of you will end up losing out. I haven't laned with too many blitz players, so I don't know how well it would work out though.

Cleanse is definitely worth it. I tend to use teleport just because I am kind of lazy and also because I tend to switch lanes a lot later in the game, but if you're having trouble with stuns, cleanse is a good choice.

To deal with a tower hugging team you have a couple of options. If it's really late game and your team is farmed enough, you can just have an initiator go in and just tank the tower. They go down in a hurry to SS, so as long as the initiation is good you won't take a lot of damage from it. A generally safer way is to switch lanes constantly and force them to move. Nasus can push a lane from the river to the base turrets in a very short time, so if you keep all of them pushed, eventually you'll find an opening.

Another good way to lure a team out is to go for baron. If you have map control you should be trying to do this anyways, and they're forced to either come and fight out in the open, or give you baron, in which case pushing through the tower will be much easier.

Adorno

03-06-2010

I like the guide overall. However, I've noticed that a lot of high ELO players swear by and use Heart of Gold. I wouldn't say, "Never" to it.

ctidesm

03-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorno View Post
I like the guide overall. However, I've noticed that a lot of high ELO players swear by and use Heart of Gold. I wouldn't say, "Never" to it.
Unless you play high ELO where you spend a good portion of your time with your team roaming so you can't farm and you are the semi-tank with your tank picking up aegis, well, even then HoG is questionable but it makes sense. In pubs HoG is never a good choice cause you'll be farming all day, you could be getting a useful item instead.

LoveJohnny

03-06-2010

I'm playing nasus a lot but I'm not lvl 20 yet so I'm waiting on runes. Can you get by without a chalice with a full mp5/lvl blues and 5/mp5 from talents?

It seems it would help a lot to just skip the chalice save 800 gold, head straight to either sheen or aegis.

Zero47

03-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveJohnny View Post
I'm playing nasus a lot but I'm not lvl 20 yet so I'm waiting on runes. Can you get by without a chalice with a full mp5/lvl blues and 5/mp5 from talents?

It seems it would help a lot to just skip the chalice save 800 gold, head straight to either sheen or aegis.
I get by pretty well without runes or chalice. I start with building the Sheen though (mana crystal obviously) and a mana potion. It will last you to level 6 if you spend your SF on creeps (not champions), I usually have teleport too which is a nice mana/health refill early game with next to no time wasted. At level 6 you can kill the Golem and you're pretty much set mana wise. Even without the golem I've never had enough a problem with my mana to warrant buying a Chalice.

roninsm

03-06-2010

@LoveJohnny: It looks like zero answered your question. I've always gotten chalice anyways since I hate running out of mana, but I'm sure you can do fine without it if you're careful (and get golem as needed).

@Adorno: Who do you see using HoG in high ELO? I've never seen it, but I don't watch a ton of games either. The best reference I have is Messiah's guide, which doesn't have it listed. The reason I say it's worthless is that Aegis, sheen, and boots is all the farm you really need as Nasus, and you can pick up almost all of that by the time laning ends. Getting a HoG may net you an extra item late in the game, but it delays your core and weakens your midgame. I just don't see it as a worthwhile tradeoff.