How to Play Effectively as Poppy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JurisnaethMKIV

02-17-2010

Introduction:
Poppy, The Iron Ambassador was recently added to the League of Legends Roster weeks ago. Armed with her trusty hammer, Whomper, she’s an effective tanker, stunner, and all around carry in any game.

Skills:
Valiant Fighter: Any damage dealt to Poppy that exceeds 10% of her current health is reduced by 50%. This does not reduce damage from structures.
- This skill is what makes her a semi tank. She can literally take a beating for quite a period of time. If my calculations are correct, it would go like this.

o If Poppy has an HP of 2000, then 10% of that is 200. So any damage going above 200 gets reduced by 50%, meaning she’ll only take 100 damage. If Poppy gets a hold of HP items like Sunfire Cape, or Warmog’s, it’s gonna make her a very decent tank.

Devastating Blow: Poppy crushes her opponent, dealing attack damage plus a flat amount and 8% of her target's max health as bonus damage. The bonus damage cannot exceed a threshold based on rank.

Poppy crushes her opponent, dealing attack damage (+0.6) plus 20/60/100/140/180 and 8% of her target's maximum health in bonus damage. The bonus damage dealt cannot exceed 75/150/225/300/375.
Cooldown - 8 seconds
Cost - 65/65/65/65/65 Mana
Range - 600

- This is Poppy’s bread and butter skill. Devastating blow is her nuke. It has a short cooldown, which means its spammable provided you have enough mana.

Paragon of Demacia - Passive: Upon being hit or attacking an enemy, Poppy's armor and damage are increased for 5 seconds. This effect can stack 10 times.
Active: Poppy gains max stacks of Paragon of Demacia and her movement speed is increased for 5 seconds.
Passive: Upon being hit or attacking an enemy, Poppy's armor and damage are increased by 1.5/2/2.5/3/3.5 for 5 seconds. This effect can stack 10 times.

Active: Poppy gains max stacks of Paragon of Demacia and her movement speed is increased by 17/19/21/23/25% for 5 seconds.
Cooldown - 12 seconds
Cost - 60/65/70/75/80 Mana
Range- 600

- This skill is sometimes overlooked by other players. The passive stack of a 3.5 increase in armor and damage goes a long way. Even with a 1.5 stack, multiply that by 10, you can get as much as 15 in total armor and damage increase. Activating Paragon of Demecia allows you to increase your movement speed for additional mobility.

Heroic Charge - Poppy charges at an enemy and carries them further. The initial impact deals a small amount of damage, and if they collide with terrain, her target will take a high amount of damage and be stunned.

Poppy charges at an enemy and carries them for a short distance. The initial impact deals 50/75/100/125/150 (+0.4) magic damage. If they collide with terrain, her target takes 75/125/175/225/275 (+0.4) magic damage and will be stunned for 1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5/1.5 seconds.
Cooldown - 12 seconds
Cost - 50/60/70/80/90 Mana
Range - 525

- Heroic Charge is a combo starter to Devastating Blow, and an effective way to get to your enemy as fast and then land a couple of blows with Devastating and Paragon. Poppy is all about mobility. Get this, the opponent gets additional damage when you Charge him/her into terrain.

Diplomatic Immunity - Poppy focuses intently on a single target, dealing increased damage to them. Poppy is immune to any damage and abilities from enemies other than her target.
For 6/6/6 seconds, Poppy is immune to any damage and abilities from enemies other than her target.

In addition, Poppy's attacks deal 20/30/40% increased damage to the marked target.
Cooldown - 140 seconds
Cost - 100/100/100 Mana
Range – 900

- This is her ultimate skill, which is similar to Tryndamere’s, only a little better. For first time users, this might be a little confusing. When you activate the skill, you’re allowed to target one enemy champ; the targeted champ is the only one who can hurt Poppy for 6 seconds. Other enemy champs and turrets cannot deal damage to her.

Summoner Skills:
Primary Choices
1.) Exhaust – slow and blind can help you gank enemy champs or provide an additional barrage for team clash.
2.) Ignite – Effective for dealing additional DPS or Damage per second. When timed right, it can be a perfect finisher for early game ganking.
3.) Flash – Very useful for Poppy since she’s all about mobility. Also very useful for getting out of tight situations.
4.) Clarity – Perfect for regaining mana without having to go back to base, useful for early lane domination.

Secondary choices or not ideal choices
1.) Heal – quite unnecessary for Poppy. She’s got a lot of HP to begin with and her passive makes up for additional defense; giving her additional survivability
2.) Ghost – I haven’t seen any player using Ghost for Poppy.
3.) Clairvoyance – Poppy doesn’t hunt; she waits for the opponent to come to her.
4.) Teleport – Poppy’s survivability in any lane is pretty high, plus her added bonus from PoD can get her to any lane as quickly as possible.
5.) Smite – Poppy doesn’t jungle early game and is not advised at all.

Items
This is my item build for Poppy, in this particular order:
1.) Sapphire Crystal
2.) SC upgrade to Sheen
3.) Boots of Speed
4.) Boots of Speed upgrade to Ninja Tabi or Boots of Swiftness
5.) Trinity Force

This is how I build my Poppy. Let me explain:
First game, you’d want additional mana for early game harassment. Sapphire Crystal gives you about 200 mana, so that’s an additional 3 Devastating Blows. Farm or gank your way till you get Sheen; which is Poppy’s combo item. Why? Sheen gives out an additional 100% extra damage to the second skill you cast within 3 seconds. Here’s my combo:
- Heroic Charge -> Devastating Blow: Once activated, Devastating Blow deals an additional 100% extra base damage. In short, Devastating Blow’s damage gets multiplied by 2.
- Paragon of Demecia -> Heroic Charge: This is every effective for chasing champs down the lane, or diving into a team clash and landing a quick damage to any champ.
Once you have Sheen, get Boots of Speed. This is a very crucial item; Poppy is all about mobility and chasing. My highest move speed from Poppy was 435, using Boots of Swiftness. Of course, you can also opt for the Ninja Tabi which provides additional armor and dodge.

After getting boots, it’s time to assemble the Trinity Force. Get Phage first, so you can slow your enemies every hit. Then again, I’d leave it up to you if you would get Zeal first.
Other items would depend on the outcome of the game. If you have a lot of enemy tankers, it’s best to carry items like:
- Infinity Edge
- Black Cleaver
- Last Whisper

If the enemy lineup is composed of a lot of nukers and spellcasters, it’s best to get MR items or Magic Resistance. I’d probably get just one damage item, like an IE and then work my way to getting an armor.

Build:
Level 1 – Devastating Blow
Level 2 – Paragon of Demecia
Level 3 – Heroic Charge
Level 4 – Devastating Blow
Level 5 – Devastating Blow or Heroic Charge
Level 6 – Diplomatic Immunity

It’s important to max out Devastating Blow first, then work your way to Heroic Charge and then Paragon of Demecia; unless you want to stack yourself with an additional damage early game. Regardless of the second skill to max out, they’re both useful in any situation. Preferably, I’d like to max out Heroic Charge after getting Devastating Blow maxed. I like to help out ganking situations mid to late game. Paragon of Demecia at level 2 can help you farm easily for gold. 1 point in Paragon of Demecia early game is also crucial for harassing squishy champs.

Gameplay Advice:
Regardless of your items and build, it’s important to remember a few important details when playing Poppy:
- Poppy’s a tank because of her passive skill. You should never be afraid to dive into a team clash when needed. Diplomatic Immunity can be a crowd disperser since the enemy champs won’t know who can hit Poppy.
- Use Diplomatic Immunity wisely. Never use it when you’re ganking a single champ, unless you plan on tower diving and chasing the hell out of him/her.
- Heroic Charge can also stun and drive your enemy champs to another location. Use this to your advantage by charging the opponent into your team and have his/her ass raped.
- Use Devastating Blow as much as possible, as long as you have the mana. Trust me, late game and assuming that you have Tri Force, you won’t be having mana problems anymore since her mana costs are pretty cheap to begin with.
- One point in Paragon of Demecia early game helps you farm for gold and harass other players early game. The additional move speed is also pretty handy for getting to or out of your enemy’s range.

I am not a PRO Poppy player. I just have pretty good results, win or lose, with this kind of build and gameplay. If you have any suggestions or comments, please leave it at the comment section below. No trashtalking please.

For a more detailed guide: http://thebloggingnewb.iblogger.org/...vely-as-poppy/

JurisnaethMKIV

02-17-2010

Bump

KirbyHero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-17-2010

ITT we learn that people who write guides aren't always qualified.

Ninja Tabi plus boots of swiftness is just wrong. You don't do that.

JurisnaethMKIV

02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyHero View Post

I didnt say get the two boots. I said OR:
4.) Ninja Tabi or Boots of Swiftness...

I was giving out options.

Jurinsthea

02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyHero View Post

I guess it has been clearly written that it was an OR rather than an AND.

Writing guides is a way of giving out available options for a champion and a build that works for them. I guess it is just bad to give such a remark to someone who spent time writing the Poppy guide that has paved success on his end. Shouldn't we be thanking the writer of this forum post that he had shared his working formula?

I guess there is no thread in this community pointing out who needs to write guides and what are the qualifications before even posting one. It's just some ill-mannered individuals thinking duly of themselves as someone superior over the other just because they wrote a plain guide over a champion.

M3MBRAN3

02-17-2010

Almost the same way I play in skill order and items. I've tried to play her as a pure tank but there are much better options out there if that is how you want to play.

After triforce I'll usually get GA unless we are really dominating in which I'll get IE.

JurisnaethMKIV

02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MBRAN3 View Post
Almost the same way I play in skill order and items. I've tried to play her as a pure tank but there are much better options out there if that is how you want to play.

After triforce I'll usually get GA unless we are really dominating in which I'll get IE.
I tried GA with Poppy one time. It made her into a very valuable tank which was crucial for dives.

SmecssRaege

02-18-2010

just a heads up

poppys passive (Valiant Fighter i think its called)

got ninja nerfed when devestating blow got its nerf.

its now 30% reduced instead of the original 50.

If you hit "C" in game, it still says 50%

but if you mouse over the actual skill on your hud, it displays it as 30%. and the HUD is usually more reliable than the tooltips (it also wasn't in the patch notes....much like the spirit visage buff... etc...lots of ninja stuff going on lately =/ )

P.S: Proof:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../Poppynerf.jpg

SmecssRaege

02-18-2010

And as a completely seperate comment:

Another good starting combination is:

Boots 1 + 3 health pots (or 2 health / 1 mana if you prefer, im utility spec w/ mana regen runes so not necessary for me)

Why?

Because devestating blow is melee range, if you have 200 mana, but cant actually hit the enemys when you pop devestating, there's not much point to it :P

At lvl 1, RARELY people buy boots, giving you a pretty hefty advantage in the move speed department, allowing you to really pull off some evil harassing with devestating blow (also makes low level charging easier to get into good positioning, etc... just really another highly viable option)

Also: Doran's Ring + Health pot is much less recommended, but also a viable option
Also: I've seen someone just start with ruby crystal, and they obviously had HP from runes, so they were extremely hard to kill @ lvl 1 with like 750-800ish HP O_o;

Just throwin those out there for people reading ^_^

JurisnaethMKIV

02-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmecssRaege View Post
just a heads up

poppys passive (Valiant Fighter i think its called)

got ninja nerfed when devestating blow got its nerf.

its now 30% reduced instead of the original 50.

If you hit "C" in game, it still says 50%

but if you mouse over the actual skill on your hud, it displays it as 30%. and the HUD is usually more reliable than the tooltips (it also wasn't in the patch notes....much like the spirit visage buff... etc...lots of ninja stuff going on lately =/ )

P.S: Proof:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../Poppynerf.jpg
Thank you sir for your contributions.