Why do people get Trinity Force?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

wildfire393

02-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihili View Post
Lich Bane's passive is based on AP, Triforce passive based on AD. If you're a physical, then Lich Bane will suck ass, and Triforce pwn face.

Also, building all these 3 items cost 8780 g, while Triforce costs 4070 g.

So you still have to pay 4710 gold for all these goodies you named.
Actually, Triforce is based on BASE Damage. Most champions have ~100 base damage at level 18, meaning Triforce will always proc for about 150 extra damage end game. Attack damage items have no synergy with it whatsoever, and actually reduce its percent effectiveness. If you normally do 100 damage and thus do 250 with Triforce, BF Sword brings your base damage to 150 and your Triforce damage to 300, at which point you're only getting double damage, not 1.5X.

This is why Triforce is best on champions that have abilities that improve their next attack (Nasus, Jax, Poppy, Blitzcrank). These champions tend not to focus on attack damage, instead relying on the burst damage of their improved attack, and Trinity improves this burst damage significantly.

Nihili

02-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire393 View Post
Actually, Triforce is based on BASE Damage. Most champions have ~100 base damage at level 18, meaning Triforce will always proc for about 150 extra damage end game. Attack damage items have no synergy with it whatsoever, and actually reduce its percent effectiveness. If you normally do 100 damage and thus do 250 with Triforce, BF Sword brings your base damage to 150 and your Triforce damage to 300, at which point you're only getting double damage, not 1.5X.
Okay, I forgot about the fact that it takes base damage.

Now, does this make my point that it's better than Lich Bane on non-AP champs incorrect?

k0b3 CleoFairy

02-18-2010

Because when the game goes on for longer than an hour what the hell else are you gonna get?

Azing

02-18-2010

Gain in most fields.
Chance to slow on Melee hit
150% bonus damage

Its really good for certain champions though its obviously not for everyone. TF is mainly for classes that take benefit from AP and DAM. Corki for Nidalee are both champions that TF preforms extremely well on.

Phi Trigger

02-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire393 View Post

This is why Triforce is best on champions that have abilities that improve their next attack (Nasus, Jax, Poppy, Blitzcrank). These champions tend not to focus on attack damage, instead relying on the burst damage of their improved attack, and Trinity improves this burst damage significantly.
I haven't tested myself, but assuming you are correct, it makes it drastically ****pier than lichbane for any hero that uses ability power at all. In fact, lichbane seems pretty outstanding with current AP use in mind.

Charmicarmicarmicat

02-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi Trigger View Post
I haven't tested myself, but assuming you are correct, it makes it drastically ****pier than lichbane for any hero that uses ability power at all. In fact, lichbane seems pretty outstanding with current AP use in mind.
Ofcourse, no AP hero should pick tri force over Lich bane.

Xalerwons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botina View Post
It just doesn't seem viable. 4070 gold for an item that gives mediocre gain to almost every stat. I have read that Blitzcrank, Corki, Nidalee and Udyr all use this as their main item.

Could someone explain the reasoning behind this?

Blitzcrank abuses burst damage that power fist + TF provides. He can't realistically be built for sustained dps without being too squishy to do his job.

Corki abuses TF's attack effect with his spammable ultimate.

Same with Nidalee and Udyr.

lain777

02-19-2010

Cant be **** so i buy an item that gives me a bit of everything