Lost Cause Tanking?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grovel

02-17-2010

I've grown quite fond of sturdier champs and for the most part I enjoy maining Malphite and sometimes Nasus. Now that I'm out of the "I have no idea what I'm doing" ELO, I've come across a new kind of teammate that drives me nuts.

We'll call him the, Overly-aggressive-super-chaser-I-can-kill-2-of-them-in-this-1v3-blew-my-ultimate-on-a-1v1-I'm-carrying-you-all-with-my-10:10-KD's-bra.

While this player usually isn't bad, they're very much high risk, high reward players, and in my experience they either single handedly win a game for your team or sink it.

I tend to take the opposite approach. I don't like to get involved in fights where I know we don't have the upper hand. I like to be ganking from the bushes, and running away when I'm outnumbered. Seems like most of my teammates have the opposite instincts. They want to stay and fight any battle, trying to take out as many opponents as possible before they're brought down. More often than I like, I find myself using my ultimate trying to save reckless teammates than helping tip the scales in a team fight.

So, for you non-carry types, what's your stance on leaving your carries out to dry? Is our role to do our best and blindly follow them, sacrificing ourselves hoping they can win the fight? Or do we just shake our heads hugging a tower while we watch our carries roam the forest and fill the chat logs with "I told you so"? Is knowing when to run a skill most don't possess, or do I need to ball up and throw myself in headfirst like the rest of them?

Kryptonian

02-17-2010

As I am USUALLY one of those people who chases like a mad man, I would have to say help them but sometimes (depending on character) I'm not really one to chase like a ****** unlike sometimes my team mates. The best choice when ur team mates r doing that is to leave them be. Unless your ulti's CD is really low, the best choice is to leave your team mates to DIE. YES it make SOUND bad. but this is how it is:

You try to help -> you die.
You try to ulti and run -> probably die and you waste your ulti for a situation when you could use it to destroy the opposing team
You do nothing -> teammates get mad but your alive to continue protecting.

I would go with the third because if your team gets wiped.... you're screwed.
My 2 cents.

PhoenixBomb

02-17-2010

Here's something that I'll say to justify these people (since I do it sometimes). When you play carries in a premade and can accuatelty coordinate focus in a team fight, that, in addition to better support from your team, can make committing to a fight often more successful than not.

This mentality is HARD to lose. I do this too often as DPS Sion: if my ult is up and i can mash their squishy, I expect everyone to stay because I'm providin them healz. That, and the singular memories of that one time you tanked their whole team by yourself and won will always inflate your expectations of how the fight will go.

So as the tank, what do you do? Well, best advice I can give is leave him out to dry the first time he does something too stupid. It's really the only way to break them out of their train of thought. If you help them and fail, they'll do it again. Just make sure your ability to assess the situation is better than theirs, because if you COULD have helped him get 4 kills instead of him going 1:1/0:1 some more, he will never ever ever stop doing it and, in his mind, it will always have been your fault.

Holypope

02-17-2010

i think the biggest problem you risk is failing to step in when you should have... if it's close, I'd avoid pissing off your teammate and dive in. If it's a clear loss, play it safe. There's nothing more annoying as a carry than failing to get backed up and see 2 enemies kill you, both running off to port with >200 health when your teammate bailed for "safety"

Rigario

02-17-2010

It really depends on your carry's gear level and skill level. if you know hes been relliable and not reckless most of the game. i.e. youve laned with him and he doesnt do stupid things. then it would be wise to go in with him. or you've seen him come out tops in most fights.

maybe he's seeing something you missed, nunu's ult on cd? maybe sion's stun has been used, maybe nasus just blew his ult in another lane. or maybe he can exhaust their carry. or maybe youre just missing his 10 stack on his menjai. All this can be vital factors that could potentially win a 2v4 or even 3v4.

but if your team mate has been feeding the whole time and their carry vastly outgears yours, well either way help or not i kinda think youre screwed anyway lol.

so my take on it is to always support your carry. at least competent ones. lol.

Joru

02-17-2010

One player having a bunch of stupid deaths might lose you the game. Half of your team dying along with him in a fruitless attempt to save him will DEFINITELY lose you the game. We've all had it happen many times before. So you do definitely need to be prepared to let the suicidal ones go sometimes.

Not always, though. You really kind of have to use your own judgement. If it's a fed carry without many deaths doing it, they probably have a good reason and expect your support. If they've had a lot of stupid deaths already, it's probably about to happen again.

However, if it's your whole team behaving recklessly together late-game, as a tank, you typically have to go down with the ship on the off-chance they manage to turn it around. They don't stand a chance without you, and if they all die, you're not going to save your whole lane 5v1 anyway.