Most (high elo) viable melee dps?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rayzilla

02-17-2010

depends on how you define 'melee DPS' since most of the best 'competitive' characters have some kind of ranged attack.

I personally would suggest kassadin He may be an AP character, but his basic attack 'is' a melee one. And his ult is amazing. If you're looking for a non-ap character (a 'non-caster' per se), I would say Tristana. She is, amazing.

Swag Daddy Nik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2010

How is Nasus a top tier melee dps? He is incredibly item and farm dependent and can't gank for his life at the start. I understand this is what constitutes a low tier champion.

Mrtakeiteasy

02-17-2010

I would agree with choosing nidalee, she's a good melee dps in cougar form and also is able to be a ranged support.

So you basically get an evened out character who is able to be both support and dps quickly.

Rayzilla

02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Head Nik View Post
How is Nasus a top tier melee dps? He is incredibly item and farm dependent and can't gank for his life at the start. I understand this is what constitutes a low tier champion.
nasus is a tank with added utility and pushing ability, and he adds alot to group fights with his ult. He's a decent character in case your whole team all wants to be insane glass cannons: Nasus can push the lanes, throw the wither, and tank in support. He probably won't result in the best score, but he will definatly help you win.

Of course, I'm only mid ELO so maybe high ELO games 'are' all glass cannons. I was under the impression that most high ELO groups want at least one tank.

He's definatly not a huge DPS tho.

Avloren

02-17-2010

Nasus is good at tanking and aoe damage, useful to have in team fights, a bad early ganker but a great farmer/pusher, he's certainly a candidate for "most viable melee dps." The answer depends on how loosely you define "melee dps," most of the champions being named here are either tanks that can put out some damage as well, or "melees" with strong ranged abilities, I don't think any pure melee carry like Jax or Tryn is really viable at the moment.

Jayce from Space

02-17-2010

Nidalee.

Shaco: oracles and win
Jax: SotD and win
Nasus: EC and win (well, not entirely, but thats the basic idea)
Pantheon: Perhaps up there..
Yi: Lol? Srsly?

ExS Perfect

02-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSJx View Post
Just curious to see who people think are the best melee dps champs for higher elo games. I'm assuming shaco . Seems like a lot of melee carry types are considered terrible (jax, warwick, etc...). How many of them are actually viable?
Wtf is up sj? And shaco.

notDeAdYet

02-17-2010

are you sure about that?... none of these champs mentioned are viable in high tier play...
jax<sword of the divine
shaco's just kill 1 person strong
trynd's horrible now, no one plays him... (in high tier)
yi's being shat on as well, warwick's always been probably the weakest link in ANY game...
pantheon i still have my doubts about
nasus is a good champ, and can be built dps, but i don't see anyone doing it. he's definitely viable tho.
the only fairly decent suggestion was nidalee and even she's not that high tiered.

if you're looking for carry, then may i suggest corki, as it stands he's one of the best dps right now.
katarina's pretty tank too but with the recent reworks i'm not so sure. Tristana's... well, dec. all i gotta say. twitch has always been a high damage champ... that's all i can think of around the top of my head right now.

Flubbz

02-17-2010

Poppy and Pantheon are the only really good choices for melee dps, the rest are tanks or ranged carrys. The ranged chars just have way too good and too much aoe, and usually a cc or survival mechanic on top of it. Even if you play a melee with aoe yours is just worse than theirs.

They recently finally realized some of the flaws with being melee and I am assuming thats where poppy came in, with her ultimate letting her eat all of the aoe damage going on and still single target people down(as well as an amazing passive). And then pantheon who gets an amazing ranged harass and a bunch of aoe **** including an ultimate that makes map presence crazy.

They need to nerf aoe or add items that reduce the amount of aoe damage you take so that the game isn't all tanks and ranged carrys.

smokeD

02-17-2010

Viable options being, Gangplank (not as much due to nerf on magic parleyy) Shaco, and Nidalee which is the most played in High elo at the moment.