Any idea how much riot makes off LoL?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zuko Prince

03-29-2011

It's a free to play game, but I've probably spent about 50 dollars on the game myself.

Vanity and impatience are lucrative quirks of human psychology to tap in such games. But how much do they actually make? Does anyone know?

I heard riot was doing pretty well financially, which I am glad for.

I ask because this seems like it is about to be a renaissance of sorts for pc gaming, online f2p games or even 3d browser based games like that star trek one in development.

They even have shooters working on this model for those who like that. Planetside is getting a sequel right?

It's kind of exciting as these games could focus on the pc as a platform first and foremost without the endless console ports / tradeoffs.

Someone should do an article on this.

Powerstoned

03-29-2011

$51

Flames of Love

03-29-2011

A ton. Cash shops are extremely effective. You can milk $5 from the people who just wanted that one cool skin for their most played champ all the way up to several hundred dollars from people who want to have everything in the game. But cash shops can be a really a terrible thing in MMOs because they can really ruin the lives of people who become addicted to MMOs as many games have essentially no limit to spending.

Lucid Dreaming

03-29-2011

Quote:
It's kind of exciting as these games could focus on the pc as a platform first and foremost without the endless console ports / tradeoffs.
If there's a return to PC-centric development I'd rather it not be with a bunch of casual F2P ****.

Powerstoned

03-29-2011

console gamers are going to just move onto cell phone gaming, don't worry.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

03-30-2011

About $3.50

But they keep getting mugged by the Loch Ness Monster

Saffire

03-30-2011

Enough to triple the size the company and keep growing.

Aeja

03-30-2011

Well, Tencet acquired it's majority stake in the company in February for 400 million, so I'm sure Riot has a pretty substantial revenue.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

03-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aregionius View Post
About $3.50

But they keep getting mugged by the Loch Ness Monster
I think it is a little more than that now....

Last I heard Brent knocked over a coffee stand and made off with the tip jar, so the revenue is up.

Enialis

03-30-2011

Probably like an octillion dollars a second.