[Guide] The Landlubber's Guide to Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fatwa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tibbers View Post
Parley pwns, hands down. It can deal about as much as a number of ults, like Veig's, with only ~6 sec cooldown (I'm not too sure, I use Focus runes. o.o). Your normal DPS goes godly late game as well, the only problem being your suriviability. That guy who proposed armor may have been onto something. Maybe some Warmogs could fix him entirely? Just replace PD or Mallet, preferably PD. The only thing I don't like about losing PD is the +crit chance. D:

Indeed it does, it's just never up when I need it the most! The issue with Warmogs is you're more or less reliant on Barrage to increase it quickly. I had a few trial runs attempting a Philo/Zerk/Tiamat (I know, but it works with parrley and Tiamat/Inf Edge parrleys are hilarious)/Sheen/Mallet/Inf. I'm still a fan of Sheen, and having 1v1'd in a practice game against a pirate with Sheen and me without (during those Tiamat tests), it makes a huge difference.

If they reduced the price of Tiamat, or made it an upgrade to Philo Stone, I'd get it. It gives Gangplank the farming ability he lacks without blowing his Ultimate. Unfortunately for us, Tiamat kills via Parrley, do not provide extra gold.

Again, I play the game as an 'offensive support' type champion, thus the mallet to help chasing down low health people, etc. I've found that Mallet provides enough of a health boost to let us take a wee bit of damage mid/late.

Also, it should be noted that in terms of lane partners, Cho'Gath works really well, as does Taric. Short cooldown stuns mesh favorably with Gangplank early game due to the power of Parrley. Sadly, its only partially effective against Jax, and near useless against a Jax/Morg lane. It's blocked by both Spell Shield -and- Dodge.

Whiplash

08-27-2009

I played Gangplank last night went 15-5-17

I went +7 mana regen amulet (for harrassing early game)
Then I went strait for an ice mallet then infinity edge then to a blood thirster. After that I built an atams.

Also I have a rune page that gives me +55% crit dmg from lvl 1, that stacked with infinity edge I was criting for 1000 or more depending on the targets armor. The other teams ashe had like 1800 hp so I pretty much showed up shot him he was almost dead and then just melee hit him and he died.

The start was good tho cause I got 3 kills before lvl 5 or 6.

Downa

09-13-2009

I just had a 1700 crit on a creep with Parrley, didn't expect that!

SenuiG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2009

Ap gangplank wins. last game i had a 680 heal that clears cc and had 11 sec cd, a parrley that did 500dmg every 6 seconds and an ult that did about 300ish damage.

I had lichbane, soulstealer, Nashors tooth, p stone, kage and boots 1.
by that time i couldn't get anymore items as the game was finished.

SmecssRaege

09-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenuiG View Post
Ap gangplank wins. last game i had a 680 heal that clears cc and had 11 sec cd, a parrley that did 500dmg every 6 seconds and an ult that did about 300ish damage.

I had lichbane, soulstealer, Nashors tooth, p stone, kage and boots 1.
by that time i couldn't get anymore items as the game was finished.

I'm sorry but this is.... no -.-

An AP gangplank vs A real gangplank

680 heal vs 320 heal (thats a NEGLIGIBLE amount of hp by the time you get those items)
500 parley vs 350-450 parley....that can crit at 50-70% of the time for 1k+
300 ultimate vs 200ish? ultimate .... great...the ultimate is still highly inconsistent in dealing damage regardless of how high you're damage might be .. (unless u have an amumu on ur team)

and what between that? between you're parleys you hit for like 90 damage, and are effectively useless.

A proper gangplank still hits for 300ish dmg critting @ 50-70% for 800ish damage

overall that puts out A LOT more damage, and with frozen mallet you have more hp/more staying power

AP gangplank, in the current state of the game, is not viable, if they made parley affected by +ability power, it would be a different story entirely, then i would gladly play only AP gangplank then lol

Mr Tibbers

09-13-2009

If Parley was AP effected, it would become the only viable way to play Gangplank. So, I doubt it ever will be. :/

Xanq

09-14-2009

Question abour runes, isn't increased critical damage better? Since you get alot of crit from items alone already.

Mr Tibbers

09-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanq View Post
Question abour runes, isn't increased critical damage better? Since you get alot of crit from items alone already.
Depends on your view, really. I prefer to ensure that nearly all, if not ALL of my hits are crits. Other prefer to ensure they hit hard. Atm, however, I run a +11% crit chance, +11% crit damage, -5.65% cooldown and +4.5% dodge...or something close to that, anyways. The only reason my crit chance isn't stacked is because I find it annoying to rune farm.

SmecssRaege

09-14-2009

I think there's been some people showing that % crit chance is better DPS overall than +% crit dmg (Comparing full rune book vs full rune book of like 20%ish crit vs 55% crit dmg)

At low level, having the extra crit chance is huge, i USED to use crit dmg runes, but now i just got out of a game where i had:

Zerkers Greaves
2x avarice blades
Infinitys Edge
Frozen Mallet
Atma's Impaler

was sitting at 98% critical strike, parleys going for 1k melee swings for 700ish ... on 49/50 hits, thats SERIOUS damage

but at the same time if you ever got to the point of turning 2 avarice blades into 2 atma's impalers, you'd be sitting at 97% crit, with the crit bonus xD

Mr Tibbers

09-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmecssRaege View Post
I think there's been some people showing that % crit chance is better DPS overall than +% crit dmg (Comparing full rune book vs full rune book of like 20%ish crit vs 55% crit dmg)

At low level, having the extra crit chance is huge, i USED to use crit dmg runes, but now i just got out of a game where i had:

Zerkers Greaves
2x avarice blades
Infinitys Edge
Frozen Mallet
Atma's Impaler

was sitting at 98% critical strike, parleys going for 1k melee swings for 700ish ... on 49/50 hits, thats SERIOUS damage

but at the same time if you ever got to the point of turning 2 avarice blades into 2 atma's impalers, you'd be sitting at 97% crit, with the crit bonus xD
If someone could ever pull off such an expensive build readily and consistently, then I'd say +crit damage is the way to go. However, seeing as I highly doubt anyone could do that, +crit% chance is the better way to go, imo.