[Guide] The Landlubber's Guide to Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Tibbers

08-25-2009

Yeah, Mimic's got it right. Watch your crits. I bought a Sheen and my crits went from ~200 to about ~500. I'm still not so sure about Lich Bane, but I am still trying it out.

Zoobi

08-25-2009

Strange cause, I was critting for 600 with sheen and 600 without sheen, this is of course after applying the buff.

The Mimic

08-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobi View Post
Strange cause, I was critting for 600 with sheen and 600 without sheen, this is of course after applying the buff.
By applying the buff do you mean activating Sheen by Curing Scurvy, Raising Moral or Barraging? You don't need to. If you watch very closely with Parrrrlay you will see Sheen activate (it's the glowy red stuff on your hands) and deactivate once the bullet is out. While Cure Scurvy shouldn't mess with this it may still. The damage for me has been noticeable between Sheen and no Sheen.

Animus

08-25-2009

Man, I find Gangplank weak. Bought an Infinity Edge, Sheen and a Phage and during late game, he just seems so weak. Maybe I got the wrong stuff, but getting those games early to mid was horrible. He has no killing power without items at all, and even with them it just seems very standard.

I'd like to see him buffed, since I do love me some pirates.

Zoobi

08-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Man, I find Gangplank weak. Bought an Infinity Edge, Sheen and a Phage and during late game, he just seems so weak. Maybe I got the wrong stuff, but getting those games early to mid was horrible. He has no killing power without items at all, and even with them it just seems very standard.

I'd like to see him buffed, since I do love me some pirates.
Really? 1k Parrrley crits aren't abnormal on him just with infinity edge. The thing with pirate that I've come to realize is he is more of an offensive support class than anything else. I can really soften up targets for my teammates to kill with parrrley, I mean, I do get quite a few kills usually every game when I play him(like noted in an earlier post, I went 8/0/9 against a premade that my team dominated), but he's really there to soften up targets, debuff them with cleaver+frozen mallet, and keep them from running away with mallet+barage.

Fatwa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobi View Post
Really? 1k Parrrley crits aren't abnormal on him just with infinity edge. The thing with pirate that I've come to realize is he is more of an offensive support class than anything else. I can really soften up targets for my teammates to kill with parrrley, I mean, I do get quite a few kills usually every game when I play him(like noted in an earlier post, I went 8/0/9 against a premade that my team dominated), but he's really there to soften up targets, debuff them with cleaver+frozen mallet, and keep them from running away with mallet+barage.
That's how I play him, chaser, offensive support. Parrley does nice work getting rid of those pesky low HP people.

Mr Tibbers

08-25-2009

I don't think he's so weak. With the right items, you can destroy almost anyone, tank, DPS, mage or whatnot.

Take a look at the image. The only reason I died so much was from Ryze's ult. Every. Time. Other than that, I was pwning. That item build there is the Pirate's dream build. Awesome.

Of course, our team was doing well in general and they had a leaver.

Mr Tibbers

08-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatwa View Post
That's how I play him, chaser, offensive support. Parrley does nice work getting rid of those pesky low HP people.
Parley pwns, hands down. It can deal about as much as a number of ults, like Veig's, with only ~6 sec cooldown (I'm not too sure, I use Focus runes. o.o). Your normal DPS goes godly late game as well, the only problem being your suriviability. That guy who proposed armor may have been onto something. Maybe some Warmogs could fix him entirely? Just replace PD or Mallet, preferably PD. The only thing I don't like about losing PD is the +crit chance. D:

Vacant

08-26-2009

Zoobi's guide was pretty much spot on. Rocked 3 Avarice quints, the 1g/10s talent and Smite going in, picked up a Philo Stone and 3 Blades of Avarice before really getting to anything else (though early boots may have helped a bit), played defensively for the first bit and ended up going 10-5.

The last 5 kills came from the final push when their Jax was finally coming to fruition and they had learned to focus me.

Parrrley's damage is absolutely devastating. This guy with the golem buff can chase/kill like a machine.

Item order was:

1. Regrowth
  2. Philo Stone
  3. Avarice
  4. Avarice
  5. Avarice
  6. Berserker Boots
  7. Infinity Edge (Must-have for this hero IMO)
  8. (Sell Avarice) Sheen (Didn't notice this helping me out as much as I thought it would..)
  9. (Sell Avarice) Frozen Mallet
  10. (Sell Avarice) Atma's

If I had a do-over, I would have maybe picked up the Frozen Mallet first in my final item set, and put the Sheen last. I'm sure it was kicking in, its effects just aren't super noticeable - was expecting Parrrley follow-up auto-attack crits in line with my Parrrley crits and they just weren't happening. I might've just straight-up replaced it with a Warmog's or Banshee's Veil, as I felt my survivability was the main thing hampering me past the 30min mark or so.

Build order was:
  1. Parrrley
  2. Raise Morale
  3. Remove Scurvy
  4. Prioritization from here: Parrrley, Raise Morale, Ultimate, Remove Scurvy.
Good stuff!

Mr Tibbers

08-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacant View Post
If I had a do-over, I would have maybe picked up the Frozen Mallet first in my final item set, and put the Sheen last. I'm sure it was kicking in, its effects just aren't super noticeable - was expecting Parrrley follow-up auto-attack crits in line with my Parrrley crits and they just weren't happening. I might've just straight-up replaced it with a Warmog's or Banshee's Veil, as I felt my survivability was the main thing hampering me past the 30min mark or so.
Sheen has proved to be...weird. It does activate, the effect does go through, but no one can seem to tell the difference. Therefore, it's my best guess that it doesn't add Sheen's damage to the crit and adds the damage without saying how much you actually hit for.