[Guide] The Landlubber's Guide to Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zoobi

08-24-2009

Just wanted to toss in another item build:

Philosopher's Stone
Avarice
Avarice
Avarice
Boots of Swiftness
Infinity's Edge
(Sell Avarice x1)Frozen Mallet
(Sell Avarice x1)Atma's Impaler

Reasoning? 3x Avarice not only adds a lot of cash early on, but it makes it so your parrley crits every other shot! Frozen Mallet is amazing for chasing combined with parrley. I can USUALLY have up to infinity edge by the 20-25 minute mark. I choose teleport and exhaust so that I can buy avarice everytime I hit 750 gold and get back to laning faster. By the time you're pushing towards mid-endgame you will have roughly 2.8k hp and be parrrley critting for ~600. If the game isn't over by the time I can afford another item or 2 I go for black cleaver and blood thirster. Game is usually won or lost by the time I get to frozen mallet however.

Now that I realized sheen double physical damage I will be going Philosopher's Stone Avarice x2 then sheen.

Mr Tibbers

08-24-2009

This sort of reminds me of the Kage's Lucky Pick build for CM, but I think it would work wonders, actually. I'll try it right now.

Mr Tibbers

08-24-2009

Zoobi, you're my new fave reviewer. Congrats, you got several mentions of you in the guide. And your build. :P It works very well, my man.

Holy Moze

08-24-2009

My best matches with the Pirate were when I stacked HP and Armor/Magic Resist (depending on opposing team) items. Bying any +dmg item as 4th and 5th inventory slot.

He is increadibly fragile, as pre-fixed Yi. If I play against Pirate and see that hes rushing dmg build - he is my 1st target cause with any hero I can slaughter him 3x times faster

Daikaze

08-24-2009

Pretty much gotta agree with Zoobi. I personally would rather take exhaust and get a lifesteal item over the Frozen Mallet... If you can afford Atma's and everything else then the game is over.

Crit runes + infinity edge mean some serious damage.

Zoobi

08-24-2009

Just played a match testing out sheen, mid game-late game I was getting 1200 parrrley crits on squishies . Sheen is amazing for this, I was getting 600 parrrley crits as early as level 7(I put 1 point into scurvy/raise morale and max parrrley asap). That's at least half of anyone's hp at that level, utterly amazing for the shock factor as most people hardcore panic when they get hit that hard that early.

Mr Tibbers

08-25-2009

Lol, Zoobi. Yeah, Sheen is an amazing item for Pirate.

@Holy Moze: He is quite fragile. I don't know if you need to go so far as only 2 damage items. I'll look into your build, though. When you're talking stacking armor/mr and HP, are you talking armor like Force of Nature and Warmug's (I think it's something like that. The kinda armor you stack on Chog)? 'Cuz I think just one or the other would be fine there, and with allowing for PStone and boots of choice, that should be 3 damage items. If it's so bad that you need more tanky stuff, I guess you could drop a damage item to throw in some more survivability, but you gotta remember that your damage sucks. Especially with getting two armor/mr/hp items first. I'm assuming you go some kind of damage before the armor?

Zoobi

08-25-2009

Honestly, frozen mallet should give you all the survivability you need between it and remove scurvy. Ranged snare for the win. You're never really going to survive a team gank, and team fights I'm usually the last to be targetted unless I stick my neck out because no one knows how much of a threat pirate is. Went 8/0/9 against a premade just a few minutes ago.

Starting to think sheen doesn't work for parrrley. Going back to my basic build that I posted above, except I'm getting berserker's greaves instead of boots of swiftness. Raise Morale takes care of any problem with runspeed I have. Going to try out lichbane in place of sheen to see if it affects parrrley since parrrley deals magic damage instead of physical.

Mr Tibbers

08-25-2009

Sheen does apply to physical stuff, yeah, but so does Lifesteal. And Crit. And cleave. When it comes down to it, if it's on "on hit" kind of thing, it tends to work. And I have found that Lichbane does work, myself.

The Mimic

08-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobi View Post
Honestly, frozen mallet should give you all the survivability you need between it and remove scurvy. Ranged snare for the win. You're never really going to survive a team gank, and team fights I'm usually the last to be targetted unless I stick my neck out because no one knows how much of a threat pirate is. Went 8/0/9 against a premade just a few minutes ago.

Starting to think sheen doesn't work for parrrley. Going back to my basic build that I posted above, except I'm getting berserker's greaves instead of boots of swiftness. Raise Morale takes care of any problem with runspeed I have. Going to try out lichbane in place of sheen to see if it affects parrrley since parrrley deals magic damage instead of physical.
It deals both, and Sheen most definitely works with Parrrrley. Sheen adds your base damage to your attack, Lich Bane adds current ability power to your attacks. Unless you're building an AP pirate it's not really worth it.