[Guide] The Landlubber's Guide to Gangplank

12345612 ... 19
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Mimic

08-23-2009

Getting Might runes will help beef up Sheen's damage, Malice will boost it's crit rate, Furor quints will boost it's critical damage. All are solid choices, but if you want to crit harder look for Might marks and Furor quints. By the way, how come no one likes Phantom Dancer in their build? Thing has more critical % then Infinity.

Mr Tibbers

08-23-2009

That's true Mimic. However, Shadow Dancer doesn't provide damage, something Infinity does. As well as providing damage, Infinity also gives extra crit damage as well, which is part of the reason I forwent Furor Runes. The extra attack speed and crit would be useless on Pirate without the damage to back it up; you have to remember, we're counting on Parrrley's hit to deal the main damage here. Dodge is nice, as always, however for the price you're paying on Dancer, it'd be better to just go with another item.

By the way, I know I mentioned that AP is useless on Pirate...but now I'm thinking that maybe with Lich's Bane, it could be better. Viable, even. So, I plan on testing Sheen and Lich Bane as well. I'll get back to you with the info soon.

danielklein

08-23-2009

Here's a Gangplank build in two steps:
1) Any boots
2) Frozen Mallet

You now have a whole bunch of survivability (HP is still god) and no one will get away from you if you get the chance to chase: Frozen Mallet procs on Parrley.

Everything you build after this is gravy.

Mr Tibbers

08-23-2009

Didn't I say why I didn't add Frozen Mallet? You'll be so weak, it's not funny. The damage from Frozen is laughable, and you get what? Extra chasing power? Because by the time you finish Frozen Mallet, it'll probably be mid-game. You're hardly even a ganker. You get enough chasing boost from Movement +3 and Raise Morale, and probably at about the same time with how long it takes to build Mallet. In all honesty, you'd probably be better off building Infinity first. Definitely better off building Bloodthirster. :/

If you feel you need more chasing power after obtaining at least one main item, then get Phage. It should be more than enough.

Yuralz

08-23-2009

I really don't understand your build. You focus on + crit chance runes but then expect to get massive numbers from Parrrlay shots? If you're going to go for a mega-crit build the obvious choice is is to get a full page of furor runes (+55% damage I believe) and the talent for an additional 10% and then stack avarice blades while working towards boots and zeal/PD.

Your skill build is also kind of weak because you leave Raise Morale for last. While I mostly agree with this you want all skills to be 1/1/1 by level 3 and then focus on Parrrlay. This is because the difference between a level 0 skill and a level 1 skill is much greater than the difference between a level 1 skill and a level 2 skill. This is true for almost every champion.

I really question your knowledge of Gangplank when you say Frozen Mallet isn't worth it, because it is. In the post above me you complain about how long it takes to build Mallet but you say you can get Bloodthirster easier. That's funny, because Bloodthirster costs more. And you say it will already be mid-game once you get mallet? Well it will be late game when you get your Bloodthirster, especially if you waste money on Philosopher's Stone and Boots of Swiftness. By the 30 minute mark I have, on average, Pendant, Berzerker Greaves, Frozen Mallet and Black Cleaver. Farm better.

Your item build doesn't even synergize. Bloodthirster works best with a lot of attack speed, but your build doesn't have any. You don't even get Raise Morale until the late game. And why bother with Boots of Swiftness when Gangplank has an ability that makes him faster and Zeal/PD is a good item choice on him that adds more speed. Wouldn't 25% increased attack speed and ~100 gold cheaper make a lot more sense?

I just can't get over the fact that you say you'll be weak with the Frozen Mallet. On the contrary: you'll be weak without it. At level 18 with Frozen Mallet as my only +HP item and 9 runes that add 202 HP at level 18 I have just under 3k life. If you don't take Mallet and you use your runes for more crit or dodge like you suggest; you'll be under 2k life. You'll die before you can even do a fraction of your DPS, since you'll die so easily. Mallet is also great for teamplay and synergizes well with Gangplank's offensive-support playstyle. Sure he's fast and maybe you don't need the mallet, but your teammates really apreciate having the enemy slowed rather than having you go faster.

Anyways this essay has gone on long enough. I plan on posting my own guide in the near future once I'm confident of the absolute best way to play Gangplank.

MammothWaffle

Adjudicator

08-23-2009

My build for a cheap, long lasting pirate.

Fort Elix, 2hp pots, 2mp pots.
Phage
Tabi or Merc boots depending on opposing team composition.
Phage
Atma's
Cleaver, Bloodthirster, Executioner. Again dependent on team composition.
Bloodthirster, Edge.

Skills usually consist of flash and exhaust

runepage is usually my tanking page which is mainly hp armor/mr.

Mr Tibbers

08-23-2009

@ Yuralz:

Woo, there's the flaming I was talking about. This guide, in all honesty, isn't even finished yet. I posted the first basic build I had, and now I plan on taking it other places, developing it even further. Recently I've been testing other items, opting to completely drop Bloodthirster for other items. Please read the ENTIRE thing. I'm almost positive that it says at least once if not several times, that this is NOT the final build. I asked other people how they build him for a reason...

For now, I'd say my build isn't like yours at all. Yours focuses on DPS, while mine is more nuke based. I don't know if you noticed that at all, but my build focuses more on Parrrley. After a review showed me that Sheen uses attack damage instead of AP to get add damage, I saw a new chance for AP. Originally I had tossed it out as being impossible becasue the items to achieve Lich Bane would be no help, or so I had thought. Focusing on Sheen early game, I rushed Lich Bane and was surprised....it actually worked well when I first tried it. So, let's take it this way:

I'm focusing on AP now. You're pretty obviously focused on DPS. As strange as it is, the damage from the AP build isn't bad at all. Your heal increases, albeit at a sad rate (they should probably up the AP ratio a bit), as does the ultimate. I don't like relying on the ultimate, but it can be a nice deterrent and finisher even in some situations. Once I'm positive of a good AP build for Gangplank (As of now I've determined Sheen, Boots, Lich Bane, Sorceror's Boots, ...I forget the name (it's the item which lowers magic resistance) as all good items on the AP Gangplank.) I'll see if I can't get the mods to change the name of my guide to fit the new AP outlook, and I can't wait to try out your build later.

Oh, and as a side note? I chose not to go +Crit Damage runes because I wanted more frequent Crits without having to rely on IG items as much. It's very posssible to achieve ~30-40% crit chance from runes and Infinity alone. Infinity fixes the crit damage as well, boosting it to the same you achieved with runes.

fattylocs

08-23-2009

I don't know why some people act like cannon barrage is bad.I'm not the est player but i love this move.Especially when i am near ending someones base.The move is great for quickly killing off creeps to get to the turret and it killls hella in a small amount of time.Which means quick gold and exp so i don't know what people don't like.

Mr Tibbers

08-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattylocs View Post
I don't know why some people act like cannon barrage is bad.I'm not the est player but i love this move.Especially when i am near ending someones base.The move is great for quickly killing off creeps to get to the turret and it killls hella in a small amount of time.Which means quick gold and exp so i don't know what people don't like.
They don't like the randomness of it, because they try to use it to kill fleeing champs. If you're lucky, that can work, but I've seen champs runs straight through and never once get hit by it. I've also seen champs who got hit 3 or more times. It's so unreliable...but that isn't to say it's not good. If it wasn't good, I'd tell you all to wait till level 16-18 to get it. But it has it's uses.

bountardos

08-24-2009

Main uses i've found for it are :
AOE slow
Anti push. Being able to cast it anywhere on the map is so good, if you don't see the advantages of that ...
Push

12345612 ... 19