[Guide] The Landlubber's Guide to Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Toxic Nerve

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-29-2010

rofl i love the amount of farming done, that game must have gone on for more than an hour, and you didnt get a last whisper or ghostblade = bad.

Belanova

05-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaded 47 View Post
rofl i love the amount of farming done, that game must have gone on for more than an hour, and you didnt get a last whisper or ghostblade = bad.
Or, you know, it was played on 8-23-2009

TSM KoreanKimchi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-29-2010

Use Ghost and Exhaust.

Ghost is great to chase after fleeing opponents to get in range for a finishing Parley and is much better than flash imo. Coupled with Ghost blade your movement speed and attack speed is pretty ridiculous when you activate Ghost Blade.

Exhaust is great to use in many situations aside from classic slowing, it can help you escape, blind dps heroes or use in conjunction with cannonballs to keep enemies from getting away from the shots.

Meki-->upgrade to chalice if necessary
Berserker Greaves or Merc Treads if heavy magic or CC (sometimes fruit just doesn't cut it)
Avarice Blade
Brutalizer
Inf Edge
Upgrade Avarice Blade & Brutalizer after you get Inf Edge to Ghost Blade
Sheen--> if time permits upgrade to Tri Force

Ghost blade is a very good item it has everything GP needs especially the CD reduction because while Parley is certainly essential for netting kills, its the cannonballs that have the biggest overall influence in winning games and CD reduction lets you launch balls all day.

Runes:
Blue:CD Reduction
Yellow:Whatever You Want
Red:Armor Pen
Quintessences:Armor Pen

While Crit Damage runes seem like a logical choice and look good on paper, Armor Pen is much more effective because it deals more damage at low level and procs even when you don't crit. Furthermore Armor Pen still deals almost as much damage as Crit Damage at high level.

With this build your crits will be ridiculous one shotting many of the squishes. Your physical DPS will be ridiculous as well but you need to be careful because you are very squishy yourself, so you may want to have your exhaust ready before engaging.

Furthermore the true sign of a quality GP player is definitely ball placement. Anybody can run around launching parley's all willy nilly, but a good player will make the most effective use of Cannon Balls at the right times to turn the tide of battle in your teams favor.

I think it is funny how on these forums so many players submit guides claiming to be "High Level players" when they mostly solo que. What constitutes "High Level" these days? Just because you play against level 30 summoners doesn't make you "High Level". I wish that Riot would officially release their ELO rankings on a consistent basis or allow players to view their ELO so we can see who is full of ****, although its usually pretty easy to tell.

Robert Will

05-29-2010

Am I wrong to think that if you have frozen mallet on plank combined with phantom dancer and his passive speed you don't need boots? i rarely use boots with him and instead get an extra damage or if I'm playing a good game I get occult for the 20stacks

Belanova

05-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Will View Post
Am I wrong to think that if you have frozen mallet on plank combined with phantom dancer and his passive speed you don't need boots? i rarely use boots with him and instead get an extra damage or if I'm playing a good game I get occult for the 20stacks
I used to think that Plank could do without boots, since I used to have PD and Trinity Force in his build all the time.
However, it takes way to long to farm, and it would mean you max Raise Morale before either Parrrley and, or RS, which is bad for Gangplank.

If you are going to go no boots, it would have to be late game.
Which would mean you buy boots normally in the begnning, and then once you have both move speed items, PD and TriForce, sell your boots for some Attack/Armor Pen, or whatever.

I don't think it's worth it, but who knows, if you get enough damage, it just might be,

Kamikaze kae

06-06-2010

I find if im running low on HP alot i buy spirt Visage and using it gives you more then half your health back

nazgulrider2

06-20-2010

excellent guide. i think u may have underestimated barrage tho. its probabley my most effective attack. when a champ is aggressively pushing a tower and your not there quick enough just use barrage to chase them away. if u are there the slow will let you further exhaust them and quickly finish them with a parrlay and a good crit. also when the whole team tries to all push one lane it can destroy their formation and force them to scatter resulting in possible kills unless they are a rock solid team. also i know im not the best gnagplank but i really like this build. try it out see what you think for me. lifesteal, berserker boots, bloodthirster, phantom dancer, thornmail, inifinities edge. I edit this usually as i go. if i am getting mad kills i will usually get inifinities edge as early as possible becuz it lets u stat the critical slaughters which we all love XD. Also i know blood thirster is alot in the beginning but it is incredibly useful, at keeping ur health up. the attack bonus also helps early on but not later so its good to have it asap.

pockets54

08-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozen View Post
Sheen increases off Attack Power. Lichbane does AP. Sheen makes it so Parrrley hits like a truck.
i cant find sheen in the store

Semi Fatal

09-06-2010

My build is Brutalizer > Avarice blade > Long Sword > BF Sword > Black cleaver > Youmuu's Ghostblade > Zeal > Phantom Dancer >Infinity's Edge. Never get past this far, i rely on pdancer and my Raise moral ability to give me speed, so early game you have to play cautious b/c of low speed and play close to turrets and grass for cover. I would probably get myself another pDancer or even a trinity force to increase speed.

Hexalion

11-27-2010

Ok i just played a game with plank, i see people getting sheen "at some point" and leaving it there( exept one dude saying if time permits trinity)...

I must say my FIRST item i built (along with boots) was trinity and it did wonders. Here is why.

Most planks stack avarice blades as zoobis build, its WONDERS for early game reliable cheap crit dmg and gold, however, you are awefully squishy, and eventually you sell the gear meaning you need to wait something like 10-15 minutes aftwer being an avarice before it actualy brings up cash.

Some get a meki....and upgrade it to a chalice this is good since planks abilities are cheap. that being said even without it, using utility mana regen and a few regen runes(i didnt get a full plank set yet) i had NO mana problems.

So cons?: awefully squishy, avarice need to be sold at profit later on(take 10-15 minutes before they are profitable)

Here is my opinion based on the game i just played, its just an opinion though so please dont flame^^.

start with a saphire crystal and a health/mana pot. This grants you the spammability for parrrley. With crit marks/quints, not being lvl 30 yet my runes give me 10% crit+ the mastery i get more(masteries quints+marks grant around 20% according to league craft).

Spamming our lvl 1 parrrrley as a last hit and a bit of harass allows for nice farming.

Rush:sheen. As said before this results in an "autocrit" each time. There 100% "fake crit" chance, and mana to cast parrrley often. fun thing this will become a biggy later.

Boots(standard)

Zeal: 20% crit chance, with a full set of marks, quints and masteries you should reach near 40% crit, enhanced mobolity(chasing power, stacking with raise moral woot speed) and attack speed(remember, plank has a nasty melee passive and raise moral is awesome for dps with its passive...AND ACTIVE!)

finish boots, swiftness is nice, since moral and zeal are % based...these boots grants the best synergy.

Phage: survivability, slight attack and a slow, at this point, and you get here fast because of your farming skills, you can chase very well, your VERY fast and you have a slight slow.

Trinity force. ok...for 300 extra gold you get an automatic 100% chance "fake infinity edge unique passive boosted crit" each time you fire parrley, +some attack+health+ mana+TRUE crit+*list goes on*. Imagine if you crit ALSO....its highly possible after all...40% crit already

Then id get a vamp scepter followed by infinity edge

Its an expensive "core" ill give you that, however its easily buildable peice by peice, and each peice grants beatiful boosts to planks power and are cheap for what they grant.

At this point you have around 220-230 attack + raise morale(24-48 when active) 278 attack power...lets count!
278x1.5(trinity)=417(trinity proc dmg)
278+150(bonus from parrrley)=428(yes its seems to now be 100% AD)x1.5(trinity force crit)=642(parrrley crit)
total dmg:1059 pre defences, note this deals 642 physical dmg and 417 magical, making it a bish to defend against. i say OUCH

Follow up items? upgrade vamp scepter to executioners calling (crit and lifesteal) and then an atmaas impaler for more dmg surviving and crit netting you around ..quickly without counting, 90% crit chance, lifesteal and decent dmg increase. Yes even with 2.3ish k health, atmaas grants massive attack with its passive.finaly? we have a few choices black cleaver/bloodthirster/lastwhisper

Need surviving? bloodthirster
Loads of armor freaks? last whisper
tend to auto attack? black cleaver
Oh massive health wh*res: bloodrazor,,,grants a bit more attack, armor and will eat 4% of their life on parrrley and you become an auto attack crack nut(huge dmg and crit....add in attack speed and health based xtra dmg?: tanks will hate you squishies will hate you)

this is my opinion and will be tested later on, ive tested trinity force and it worked wonders.