Is lane Udyr viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iCaughtEmAll

03-09-2011

Question=Same as title

But seriously is it a possiblity, because i like jungling with him, but i don't have a complete rune set, and im not level 30. So its not terribly efficient.

Just wondering if it is viable and if so, what runes/masteries/build would work best?

Medusa

03-09-2011

Yes, quite possible. Not the most viable but can be done with some practice.

Do it for now if you really want but i would choose someone else that is better for laneing.

Cenerae

03-09-2011

It's not very good. At the low levels you'll be starved for mana, because switching stances will eat a huge chunk of your mana pool. You'll be obligated to pump up turtle stance first in order to be able to spam the damage shield for blocking harrassment and healing to stay in the lane, which makes your damage output poor. If you somehow can get away with not maxing turtle first and go tiger instead, theoretically you can do some nice harrass by smacking them with a tiger proc. Problem is of course, that you have to have enemies that will let you walk right up into their face without doing anything. Against anyone with a brain, you'll probably come away worse off. You could lane if you really and truly must, but the chances are good that you'll be unable to farm or do anything except soak up harrass with turtle stance until you run OOM, and then be forced to recall.

So really, it's not a good idea. If you have a partial jungle rune set, you should still be able to jungle if you alter the standard route a bit. You should be able to start at mini golems, then do wraiths and wolves (reaching lvl 3) in one pass without running oom. Then you should easily be able to handle blue. By the time you've taken blue, the golems have respawned again and you can keep jungling. It won't be completely optimal, but it should still yield an acceptable speed. And you get the advantage of being able to save the red buff for whenever seems a good time to begin ganking.

iCaughtEmAll

03-09-2011

Thanks!

And as I'm really new to Udyr, how do you all recommend leveling up your skills. I like to use Phoenix as my main jungle stance. The only one I max every time is Turtle Stance. Which stance should I only level up to 3( or should i level up 2 to 4?)

IthsMaze

03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchS69 View Post
Thanks!

And as I'm really new to Udyr, how do you all recommend leveling up your skills. I like to use Phoenix as my main jungle stance. The only one I max every time is Turtle Stance. Which stance should I only level up to 3( or should i level up 2 to 4?)
truthfully beyond turtle stance it is completely your choice. I personally go 5/5/3/5 or 5/5/4/4, but you may like the extra speed on bear and the phoenix aoe more than tiger procs.

Quarks0

03-09-2011

Not really addressing your question, but I just thought I'd mention something I did when starting out with olaf jungling
Get the tier 1 rune versions if you have irrelevant/empty rune slots. They give about 55% of the T3 stats at 10% of the cost. It's a quick, cheap fix to your rune problem and might just make your jungling efficient enough =) Just replace the runes when you get the money
Jungling more often will also make you more efficient at it. For example, it took me much too long to realize that Olaf actually wants to stay at lowish hp while jungling to make use of his passive. After making use of that, I'd finish my first clear faster and with health pots left over.

As long as you put enough points into utility to get the bonus xp, you should be able to jungle just fine before level 30. You can always try laning since everyone can do it, but you'd really be better off doing it with another champ. As a general rule, jungling provides so much benefit to your team that you should do it

Doriantv

03-09-2011

No.

Why is Lane Xin Zhao viable, but not Lane Udyr?

Because Xin Zhao's spells cost very little mana, and Xin Zhao can easily close distance with E against ranged opponents. Udyr's spells cost a lot of mana (early on), and he has no good distance closers against ranged opponents.

iCaughtEmAll

03-10-2011

@Quarks0

Thanks man that's a great way to go about it. I wouldn't have thought of that ever lol.

iCaughtEmAll

03-10-2011

And, would Armor Pen Reds, Dodge Yellows, Cooldown Blues, and Health Quints be the way to go.

I only have the cooldowns, because of my caster rune page. And I don't think those are best for Udyr.
What do you guys use for the runes?

Cenerae

03-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchS69 View Post
And, would Armor Pen Reds, Dodge Yellows, Cooldown Blues, and Health Quints be the way to go.

I only have the cooldowns, because of my caster rune page. And I don't think those are best for Udyr.
What do you guys use for the runes?
Flat armor yellows will serve better for jungling, but dodge is nearly as good (and helps more later on when combined with your passive)

As for the rest of your runes, that depends on how you intend to jungle. You want attack speed in every slot except yellow if you want to jungle Phoenix efficiently. Tiger needs armor pen and AD.

You probably want attack speed blues for Udyr, or perhaps scaling MR.