Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Negative Armor

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sp00nfed

02-16-2010

Will negative armor values increase damage taken?

Nihili

02-16-2010

Yes, yes they will.

/thread

AGCrew Bloodwolf

02-16-2010

I was under the impression it would "cap" at 0.

RageQuit

Recruiter

02-16-2010

We need more threads about this. Armor pen caps at 0....armor reduction does not.

Nihili

02-16-2010

Quote:
Bloodwolf:
I was under the impression it would "cap" at 0.

Armor penetration can't get it below zero, but armor reduction can. If you have an armor-reducing effect, such as the Black Cleaver passive, you can actually get low-armor targets into negative armor.

EDIT:
Mechanics FAQ (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3287)

Quote:
Q: Can you reduce armor or magic resistance below 0?

A: Yes, although the only things that can reduce below 0 is Armor/MR Reduction. Both percentage and flat penetration do not have an effect after they get to 0 armor/MR.

xahhfink6

02-16-2010

1. Armor reduction occurs, can go below 0
2. Armor pen % occurs
3. Armor pen occurs, cannot go below 0
4. damage is calculated using adjusted armor

And the answer is very yes, corki has a habit of smashing faces with a trinity-proc'd crit against -100 armor

Kaied

02-17-2010

Really? -100 armor?
The armor equation is Armor / (100 + Armor). And this gives you how much damage you are reducing. Since this is a numerator divided by a number +itself, it normally caps out at approching zero, except in really negative numbers (see below).
100 armor would be 100/(100+100) = .5 So you reduce the damage you take by 50%
900 armor would be 900/(100+900) = .9 So you reduce the damage you take by 90%
-99 armor would be -99/(100+-99) = -99 So you reduce the damage you take by -9900%. Or in more common terms, you take 99 times more damage.
-100 armor would be -100/(100+-100) = Divide by zero error.
If you use calculus you could say it goes to infinity, but a computer will either just give you the cannot divide by zero error or +- infinity depending on the numerator. Which I am guessing is the infinity vs the error since the game isn't crashing...

-101 armor would be strange.
-101/(100+-101)= -101/-1 = +(?)101 armor mod, So you reduce the damage you take by 10100%.

Its all kinda confusing, which is why I put a post about it in the bug forums, and so far I have not recieved any meaningful post. I would really like some clarity on the subject, as going from -99 armor to -100 armor might be an infinite damage increase, while adding another -1 would be going to -101.. and them taking zero damage...

Malduk

02-17-2010

Ok, grabbed a coffee, and I think I figured it out...
Formula would be something like:

1 + ARM/100 = HPe / HP ;

ARM being armor, HPe being effective health, and HP being shown health.

In other words:

DMG = 100 / (ARM+100) * ATT.DMG. ;

Since ATT.DMG. > 0, and DMG >0, and you cant divide by zero:
ARM is ALWAYS > - 100

So, there's your cap.

You need 3 cleavers against a low natural armor champion to try if this can cap can be breached, but I'm not sure if it is possible to notice it ingame unless your target gets 5 warmogs or something.

It Was Friday

02-17-2010

200 magic res = game reads 66% reduced damage, effective health is 3
100 magic res = game reads 50% reduced damage, effective health is 2
0 magic res = game reads 0% reduced damage, effective health is 1
-100 magic res = game reads -50% reduced damage (damage taken is 150%, not 200%), effective health is 2/3
-200 magic res = game reads -66% reduced damage (damage taken is 166%, not 300%), effective health is 3/5

tested with soraka starfalling creeps in a very boring practice game zz

though i did play a much funner practice game with karthus afterwards and my numbers may be a bit off

Kaied

02-17-2010

Yeah, I kinda did the same thing, Mr. Friday. Basically when we were told the armor equation was Armor / (100 + Armor), it was a simplification. Its actually (through testing) Armor / (100 + |Armor|).
If you aren't familiar with the |#| it means the absolute value of. Basically if it is a negative number use the positive value of it instead.

So:
100 Armor = .5
50 Armor = .33
0 Armor = 0
-50 = -.33
-100 = -.5
Basically At best you can reduce the damage you take as you reach infinite positive armor by 100%, or you can increase the damage you take as you reach infinite negative armor by 100%.
At best (+ armor), you take infinite times less damage, but at worst (- armor) you only take double damage.

Which is a shame, because going from 100 armor to zero, you are increasing the damage you take by 100% (50% reduction to taking full damage, so a 100% increase in damage). While going from zero to -100 you are increasing the damage you take by only 50% (going from 100% damage taken to 150% damage taken).
Its a shame because they wanted every 1 armor to be ~1% decrease in damage taken (and by the same token every 1 point of armor reduction/penetration increasing your damage done by 1%) When with this implementation, its much less effective putting someone into negative armor then it is just reducing them from a high positive number.