Cho'gath needs some love.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hecterian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2010

So i bought Cho'gath about a month ago, started playing with him recently and noticed how good he can be when he feeds on enough minions, hides, and has a decent life steal.

Im just asking what you guys would recomend me as in runes/items to make him more usefull to a team.

Thanks

Frosh

Friend of Urf

02-16-2010

My items are generally:

Ruby Crystal -> CataLyst (-> Banshees if they have blitz/caster heavy)
Boots -> Mercury treads (or Ninja boots if they've got a very strong physical team)

Then it comes down to your comp -

IF your team is heavy on casters, go Soul Shroud (mana manipulator + belt of strenght -> soul shroud)
If their team is very heavy physical, go Frozen Heart (starting with Glacial Shroud)
If their team is a mix, go Aegis of the Legion
If your team is very heavy physical, go Starks Fervor

at the end of most of my games, i have:
Banshees Veil, Mercury Treads, frozen heart, Starks Fervor, aegis

The play style here is support/tank. With the cooldown reduction items, you should have rupture/silence every ~8 seconds (stagger them for maximum disable). With all of the auras, you should slowly become a high priority target (remember, you're essentially 2 pieces of gear for everyone on your team..)
Stick with your team and focus on disabling their carry (exhaust works well here).
As soon as you've finished a team fight, backdoor or push a tower; run in first, and start killing minions while your team hits the tower. You should virtually never attack a tower as Cho, as you're always better off killing minions for health regen or spamming ruptures/silences to keep their 1/2 people away from your 3 - 4 pushing the tower.

Edit: Forgot runes:

For Runes, i go:

Red Attack Speed (seems silly to a lot of people, but really helps with last hits early/mid game)
Yellow Dodge
Blue Cooldown REduction

For meta, dodge/hp/experience are three viable choices.

My masteries are 9/0/21 i believe. (cooldown reduction and summoner spell reduction)
I use flash/exhaust as my summoner spells

Nihili

02-16-2010

Okay, so there are many ways to play Cho'gath. Personally I like him best as a fat, sturdy tank. I could make a long post about how I play him here, but there was a man long before me, who caught the essence of playing Cho that way. A true hero for anyone who wishes to start his adventure with Cho'gath, the Terror of the Void. His name was condon. Here is his guide on how to play the MFing Cho'gath.

Seriously, that's a great guide for playing a tank Cho. Of course not everyone will like this playstyle, but I found it great.

Azing

02-16-2010

Tank Cho'gath is built focused on HP. Stacking HP with Cho's big gap of Health allows him to make up for the MR and AR that can crush him. Item wise he still gets enough armor and magic resist that hes able to absorb damage well. Anyways the best item build I found for Cho tank:

Philosophers (Added HP regen + Mana regen allowing longer laning and extra gold)
Boots (Depending on the other team. Mecury Treads work well and for carry focused teams a Ninja Tab can help.)
Warmongers (Big boost to Cho's large health pool. Health Regeneration boosts his survival)
Force of Nature (Big Boost to Cho's health regeneration as well as a large chuck of Magic Resistance. +Bonus movement speed allows for more chase power to catch someone trying to run with rupture.)
Frozen Mallet (A big chunk of Hp with a little bit more bonus. The slow effect is extremely good for finishing a runner off. Pop a rupture and chances are you will catch up to them and smack them to add frozen mallet effect before they get away)

After all that its pretty much based off the other team and is more situational. Frozen Heart does well against Carry heavy teams giving large amounts of Armor and a wopping 25% reduced attack speed while giving a CD reduction to his abilities. If magic damage is a bit more active though carry still provide a relative threat, then Sunfire Cape works well with its bonus armor and armor. It serves well for any enemy that should be near you. Against CC or caster heavy teams Banshee's Veil works well reducing the damage taken and giving a boost to HP/MP. If the team is rather balanced and your doing well, Rylai's Scepter works to boost AP while giving a chunk of HP. It gives additional slow to rupture and to scream allowing you catch anyone who should run away from team fights

If carries pose more of a threat and you wish to further boost your physical damage, Phantom dancer can also work to benefit cho and make him more vicious though for myself I usually don't aim that path. Atma's Impaler is an Item I personally go for late game when I feel secure taking their hits to make Cho's slow attacks smack that much harder with bonus crit and some bonus armor.

Nihili

02-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azing View Post
Philosophers (Added HP regen + Mana regen allowing longer laning and extra gold)
Why would anyone take Philosophers, when you can build the Regrowth Pendant into Warmogg's right away, and your passive already gives you plenty of HP and Mana regen as long as you're killing creeps? The gold passive is not worth the trouble really.

CnB84

02-16-2010

Back in Beta, I liked stacking armor and regeneration on him. This was especially effective due to his enoromous Hp.

Frozen Heart
Warden's Mail x 3
Warmog's Armor
Force of Nature

With over 4000 hp and enormous amounts of regeneration and damage mitigation, charging, well, slowly encroaching into groups of enemies did alot to add pressure for teammates to exploit. Laying down silences and stuns whenever they focused a teammate helped alot as well.

I know. No boots mean he'll be slow, but really, what's the hurry? It's not like the towers are going anywhere.

The Promise

02-16-2010

My Tanking Cho looks something like this:

Regrowth Pendant -> Warmog's (Yes Warmog's before boots unless you desperately need basic boots early)

Mercury Treads (As a Cho tank, dying suxorz, and disables will kill you, so why not reduce them?)

Guardian Angel/Force of Nature (Guardian Angel is good if their team is somewhat balanced, but if they are AP heavy go FoN)

Warmog's/Thornmail (Only get the Thornmail if the have a melee carry or DPS that is tearing you apart)

Fifth item depends on what I need, but I love a FoN if I don't have one already, or a Sunfire.

My last item usually never gets bought, but it entirely based on their team and what you need the most. When in doubt, a third Warmog's never fails.

Runes:
Armor Marks
Armor Seals
CDR Glyphs
Armor Quits

Mastery: I am partial to Utility, so I use 0/9/21

Korath Arcolite

02-16-2010

Hooray for Condon's guide to the MFing Cho`Gath!
Seriously, if I see MFing Cho`Gath, the only reason I don't **** my pants and run is because I'm Singed and I have very good drugs, or I'm playing Mundo and well, Mundo goes where he pleases.
Cho is an excellent hero when played correctly and I love seeing him on the field. I hope you stick with him

Naje

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2010

Dorans Shield
Giants Belt > Growth Pendant > Ruby Crystal = Warmogs
Null magic mantle > Cloth armour > Chain armour = Guardian Angel
Giants belt > Chain Armour > Sunfire cape

Throw in a leviathans if needed? This is basically a full tank build lol