Jax build Discussion -> rushing Hextech and Rageblade over Trinity force and Botrk

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zProtoman

08-04-2014

I prefer the Hextech gunblade - rageblade rush. He is technically unstoppable with this build.
His stats with the items gives him both arm and magic res with his ult more than the other items would too.

Ethyreon

08-05-2014

Gunblade is surprisingly strong on jax as his w and ult passive proc spellvamp. However Jax's best scaling is attack speed by far. Gunblade is just not gonna do as much damage as BoRK. Also BoRK is better for not getting kited.

As for Rageblade, it gives okay stats, and is much cheaper than triforce, but will not do as much damage, will make you kite-able, and has a trash build path, especially for Jax. What I really don't like about rageblade is that if you're caught without the passive stacked it is so horribly inefficient. Also I think that getting to low health to fully use an items stats is just a bad strategy.

So basically I stand by conventional wisdom as far as building Jax goes. Sure there are some viable variant builds, but both BoRK and triforce are very strong atm and have nice synergy with his kit.

Jax is pretty much the most forgiving champion in the game. No one else can go 0-7 in lane and carry. If he seems unstoppable it's because he's a broken-ass champion.

Morsigil

08-05-2014

I agree with Ethyreon. Bork provides more damage, especially on the front end where it matters more, and utility than rageblade. The heal, the speed buff/debuff... It's so useful to him.

Consider the numbers: Even at full stacks of rageblade, you get 72 total AP which turns into roughly 43 damage per ability that scales off ap. So one full round of abilities including your ult proc (50 damage from ap)means you get 136 damage after empowered strike, leap, and an ult proc. Strictly inferior to 80 damage per melee strike per 1000 hp the enemy has (going down as they lose HP of course), though the 5 extra AD on rageblade should not be ignored. Pair this with a higher starting AS and it is clear which item front loads harder.

But what about longer battles? Well, if you can get those rageblade stacks you get 32% attack speed. Quite a bit less with conditions on getting even that. Even in the "optimal" situation you're getting 52% attack speed and some life steal and spell vamp at 50% life... But that's situational, where as the bork will always be providing life steal, and will be providing more attack speed for much of the battle.

That's not even taking into consideration the active on bork. It's unfortunate, but I think the bork is simply a better item. You could argue, well, maybe guinsoo could be an item you get later... But then trinity is much better than guinsoo, even though guinsoo is cheaper, because trinity provides better stats for the slot and can be built from more convenient and helpful items. Phage, sheen, and zeal instead of a blasting wand, pick axe, and combine cost.

Hextech isn't a bad item and Jax can use the active, but you'll probably get more gold efficiency/damage out of defensive items by being able to stick to folks and get into the middle of the fight.

Jesot

08-05-2014

The old Jax used to be Gunblade & Triforce GG. Why isn't this still the case?

The Lord Mayor

08-06-2014

First of all, Botrk is not a very good first item on Jax-The flat damage nerfs and lifesteal nerfs make it more useful mid game. The only time I would ever rush Botrk on Jax is if I am fighting a tank. However, it works great as a second item since it compliments the power of trinity forces exceptionally well.

Here is how I rank the order of usefulness of Jax's potential damage items-
Trinity Force > Blade of the Ruined king = Hextech Gunblade > Zephyr > Guinsoo's Rageblade

I know you guys say Botrk is better than gunblade, but it really depends on the situation. At a first glance, Botrk seems way better-Good damage, attack speed buff, tank shredder, chasing potential, and even some sustain. However, it offers significantly less damage on its own since you are only getting a measly 25 AD from this 3.2 k gold item and the 8% current health damage doesn't register as a lot until mid game. Gunblade is an amazing item for burst damage-Jax will deal much more flat ability burst damage. Also, it offers a really high amount of sustain, with both lifesteal and spell vamp. Combined with the increased armor/mr from his ult and a Gunblade Jax is extremely good at low hp baiting. However, the Gunblade is inferior in terms of chasing and DPS, since the slow it provides is only good in extended chases and the lack of attack speed means other champions can outburst Jax before he ramps up his attack speed.

In General-Botrk is better for utility and chasing power, but lacks damage, durability and good sustain
-Gunblade is better for damage, durability and good sustain, but lacks utility and chasing power

I put rageblade at the bottom, because in my honest opinion, that item is a piece of garbage if Jax isn't fed. It's passive is pointless since it just increases Jax's 1v1 power alone (Good luck finding someone dumb enough to 1v1 Jax with items). The raw stats it offers is inferior to Gunblade, and any good team will kite Jax to prevent him from being able to mow a team down and get full 8 stacks. Of course, a fed Jax will easily be able to go aggressive and murder everybody, which is why the only time one should ever get this item on Jax is if they are really fed and already have two core damage items and one core defensive item finished.

Ethyreon

08-07-2014

You realize that the first proc of BoRK on an opponent with 1000 health will do 80 damage, and will do more than the AD from gunblade until they are less than 25% health. The AP from gunblade will do ~45 on each ult proc, and 40 every w. Keep in mind that BoRK will give more ult and AA procs, which at rank 1, one additional ult proc will be 100 damage, later ranks it goes up to 160, and then 220. So BoRK will honestly outscale gunblade damage wise by the time you have enough gold to buy the item. Also BoRK is cheaper. Late game BoRK pulls REALLY far ahead. BoRK also is a much stronger split pushing item than gunblade, and let's be honest you are going to be split pushing.