You're going far in this field 0 0%
Original 9 50.00%
I've seen this before/could be better 2 11.11%
Go back to school and keep learning 1 5.56%
Get the Flip Out, Noob 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

[Champion Suggestion] Malerna, the Crimson Knight

1234567 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jrg7777

03-29-2011

I'll get to working on icon art tomorrow, since I'll have time.

jrg7777

03-30-2011

I have half of the ability artwork done. These things take awhile...and the 3d model is taking a lot longer. Probably won't have anything decent till next week.

Chaos Lord29

03-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrg7777 View Post
Actually, I might prefer Guardian Leap (alternate list) over Noxion Duty. What do you think?
Noxian Duty, for sure. In fact, for a Noxian character, I think she needs a much more viscous (or at least visceral) feel for her abilities and effects. Don't go overboard on my account, but as it is, Bodyguard Bash, and Guardian Leap sound like the kind of thing member of Garen's retinue would be using for Demacia. Even Whirling Strike is a little neutral. Bloody Charge and Crimson Reaver definitely had more of the Noxian feel I think you were going for originally.

jrg7777

03-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Lord29 View Post
Noxian Duty, for sure. In fact, for a Noxian character, I think she needs a much more viscous (or at least visceral) feel for her abilities and effects. Don't go overboard on my account, but as it is, Bodyguard Bash, and Guardian Leap sound like the kind of thing member of Garen's retinue would be using for Demacia. Even Whirling Strike is a little neutral. Bloody Charge and Crimson Reaver definitely had more of the Noxian feel I think you were going for originally.
Thanks for the comment, and yeah, I see what you're saying. I'll get to changing it right away.

jrg7777

03-30-2011

Re-edit:
-Whirling Strike renamed Eviscerating Slash
-Bodyguard Bash renamed Bloodied Bash

jrg7777

03-30-2011

Edit:
-Added Rider of Noxia ability concept art

jrg7777

03-30-2011

Edit:
-Added Crimson Cleaver ability concept art

Chaos Lord29

03-30-2011

I'm glad you approved, and I do like the changes, really ties her back to that bloody history you've given her, and makes this Noxus Fanboy proud.

But you've got some work to do in terms of filling in her statistics. Right off the bat, I think you should put into numbers what you want her starting statistics to be, as well as the growth rates since that rather defines her role on the team and what players will be building with her item wise. Is she mana based? Or purely cool-down like Katarina and Garen? She's got armor, but what's her health going to be? She strikes me as a potential noxian counterpart to Jarvan, albeit a little more durable since she'll definitely have more armor and more defensive abilities.

I do have one concern that it will be difficult for anyone to maximize her effectiveness since mounted or dismounted she'll still need attack damage, but be complimented by different items. Don't know if you (or anyone else) are a SuperSmash bros player, but it's sort of like the problem you run into in Brawl with Samus: Once you use her Final Smash, you're now playing as Zero Suit or vice versa, and have to be just as adept with that character as you were with the one you started the match as.

It's definitely high reward to be so quickly able to shift play styles in a match like that, but there's a big risk too, and means a very particular item build unless you want to sacrifice her effectiveness, mounted or dismounted.

Now, onto a break down of her abilities (just a reminder, all of these need mana costs/ ranges):

Quote:
(Innate) Rider of Noxia

Every XX movement speed Malerna gains increases her armor by X.
Rather fun innate, gives her armor as well as more map control, something akin to Singed, but subbing in armor instead of raw health.

Quote:
Crimson Reaver/Eviscerating Slash

(Active) Crimson Reaver

Malerna aims at a target and juts her lance into it, dealing XX physical damage + 60% attack power.

5 second cooldown

(Active) Eviscerating Slash

Malerna swings her sword in an arc in front of her, dealing XX physical damage + 40% attack power to every enemy in a cone in front of her.

5 second cooldown
Ok, you've got a solid ranged nuke here akin to Pantheon or Nidalee's spear throw, that becomes an aoe cone damage spell when she's dismounted. Not a whole lot of utility, but then if you want her to be durable with a good source of damage this is what she'll need.

Quote:
Ferocious Jump/Bloodied Bash

(Active) Ferocious Jump

Malerna kicks Killer to jump at any enemy or ally within a certain radius. If the target is an enemy, it is dealt 10% of her attack power and 10% of her ability power, ignoring 10/25/35/45/60% of the target's armor and magic resist.

10 second cooldown

(Active) Bloodied Bash

Malerna takes her shield and smashes all enemy targets in a cone in front of her. The attack deals a total of XXX magic damage + 30/45/50/55/60% of her ability power to targets in the cone, distributed evenly among all those targets. If there are 3 or less enemy targets in the cone, then they will be stunned for .5/.5/1/1/2 seconds as well.

10 second cooldown
Ferocious Jump threw me for a moment, since it benefits from both ability power and attack damage, but doesn't seem to cause a great deal of damage from either category. Then I saw it's designed to bypass opponents defenses more and more late game. While this seems like a useful chase/escape mechanism, the damage it deals is in a very much roundabout way, and I question it's effectiveness against any champion as late game players tend to rely more and more on raw health and less on magic resist/armor.

Bloody Bash on the other hand strikes me as just what an off tank character needs to help swing teamfights and protect the carry, as long as the damage isn't too high (when you fill in the amount, look at other champions to see what a good baseline would be), it'll serve dismounted Malerna very well.

I think it's worth saying at this point I like how her abilities scale with ability power/attack damage as she levels up, rather than base damage rising.

Quote:
Dismount/Mount

(Passive) Dismount

Malerna's base movement speed increases by 5/10/15/20/25 while she is mounted

(Active) Dismount

Malerna kicks into Killer's sides, forcing him foward into a full canter for 3 seconds. Her base movement speed is increased by 25%. In addition, Killer runs through enemies as if they were not there, dealing XX magic damage to each enemy. This effect cannot occur on the same target more than once. After 5 seconds, she will halt in place and dismount, Killer jumping off the screen. By activating this ability before it ends, Malerna will instantly jump off. Upon dismounting, all enemies in a certain radius of her will suffer 75% of her ability power as magic damage.

12 second cooldown
Here you've got a cool core mechanic for your Champion, one which I think is rather original. One thing I think you have to distinguish for your abilities again is when you say 'enemies'. Are you referring to "Enemy Champions", "Enemy Minions" or both?

Quote:
(Passive) Mount

Malerna's base armor increases by 5/10/15/20/25 while she is dismounted

(Active) Mount

Malerna calls out to Killer, who will jump on screen. All enemies within a certain radius of her will be knocked back as Killer pushes them away. Any enemies that are pushed against impassible terrain will be stunned for 1 second. Malerna takes 1 second to climb unto Killer; if any crowd control ability is used on her during this time, she will fall off and Mount will be canceled.

12 second cooldown
Ok, now here's a problem. Mounting Killer is channeled and can be canceled, but dismounting cannot. That means its potentially possible to trap her being dismounted. I think you need to include a mechanism that might reduce cooldown for this ability when it is interrupted (rather like Caitlyn's ultimate).

Quote:
(Ultimate) Killer's Frenzy/Noxian Duty

(Active) Killer's Frenzy

Malerna flips backward off Killer, leaving her dreadful steed to charge forward on its own accord. Malerna flips back in a straight line between XXX-XXX distance, this distance determining the distance Killer charges. The farther the charge, the more damage is dealt to enemies in a straight line (starting with 200% attack power as physical damage and every enemy after the first hit with a 20% damage reduction, with a minimum of 60% attack damage). Afterward, Malerna is now dismounted, and cannot use Mount for 12 seconds following Killer's Frenzy.

200 second cooldown
Again you need to distinguish whether 'Enemy' here means champions or minions, and you've got another element that either forces the champion to be mounted or dismounted. I think it's good in one sense that it forces players to be flexible in their playstyle with her, but it does make things more difficult in terms of balancing her abilities. After all, it seems like her her Mounted Ultimate should benefit and synergize with her mounted abilities and playstyle, rather than just causing damage and having her dismount. Really, long cooldown as well, you might want to reduce it at each level.

Quote:
(Active) Noxian Duty

Malerna acts as a bodyguard for her allies, forcing all enemies within a certain radius to attack her for 1.5/2/3 seconds. During this time, all incoming damage will be reduced by XX% in scale with her ability power.
And here she really seems to shine as an offtank, able to take damage similar to Galio, and scaling with her ability power. You'll want to say 'Taunts all enemies within the radius' rather than 'forces to attack', and I'll tell you right now you should be careful with what that radius is. Also, what is the cooldown for this spell? The same as Killer's Frenzy? How does that work in terms of her being able to mount or dismount?

Overall I think you've got a great and really original idea here, and quite an ambitious one in terms of working out exactly how her mechanics synergize. But then, as they say "The Devil's in the Details." Keep at it, and don't get discouraged!

jrg7777

03-30-2011

Edit:
-Added Evisceral Slash ability concept art

jrg7777

03-30-2011

Thanks a lot Chaos Lord29 for all your help. I have no idea about numbers, so I'll take some time tonight to review them as they apply to other champions. As per your feedback, I will concentrate one part at a time so I can get things right.

PS: My main Super Smash Bros character is Samus, so I know something about that

1234567 ... 9