You're going far in this field 0 0%
Original 9 50.00%
I've seen this before/could be better 2 11.11%
Go back to school and keep learning 1 5.56%
Get the Flip Out, Noob 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

[Champion Suggestion] Malerna, the Crimson Knight

12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jrg7777

03-26-2011

As an aspiring game designer, I thought I should take advantage of this wonderful opportunity Riot gives to the community to express their wishes and find how others view my design skills. Comments would be appreciated, even negative ones, because mistakes are what teach.

Also, if you're interested in champion suggestions, don't forget to take a look at the League Rookie's List at http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=582114 and make some comments on those champs.

Malerna Noire grew up as an orphaned, indentured servant to a Noxion Stable Master. Wanting more for herself than the cruel abuse of her master, she looked up to the famous assassin Katarina du Couteau as an idol. Upon reaching puberty, she murdered her master in the most gruesome fashion, leaving his decaying corpse in the city square without remorse. Arrested for her henious crime, even by Noxion standards, she was due to be hanged until the famous General Du Couteau, impressed by the level of violence of which the young woman was capable, and in part reminded of his own daughter, took in Malerna to be trained as an elite soldier.
During her training, Malerna's inner evil became embodied when she acquired a strange, magical talisman. This evil took the form of her recently deceased horse, Capricious, whom she renamed Killer. Their shared bloodthirst makes them perfect partners in crime, as well as a convenient steed that stores itself inside the amulet when Malerna would rather fight alone.
Though still young, Malerna has proven her worth and complete loyalty to the General she sees a father figure, and is ready to give her life in his name at a moments notice. Recently, however, the General has been toying with the idea of sending one of his most trusted bodyguards to the League of Legends to join his bloodthirsty daughters and bring ever more honor to the Noxion name.

Attributes: brusier, melee

Statistics:

Health: 415 (+80)
Mana: 205 (+35)
Armor: 17 (+3.5)
Magic Resist: 30
Attack Damage: 55.02 (+2.73)
Attack Speed: 0.625 (+.0191)
Health Regeneration: 6.25 (+.85)
Mana Regeneration: 5.11 (+.40)
Movement Speed 320
Range: Mounted: 175 Dismounted: 125

************************************************** ***************************************

(Innate) Rider of Noxia

Every 25 movement speed Malerna gains increases her armor by 1.

[Q] Crimson Reaver/Eviscerating Slash

(Active) Crimson Reaver

Malerna juts her lance into enemy champion, minion, or creep, dealing 28/40/52/64/76 physical damage + 80/90/100/110/130% attack power and inflicting the target with a bleed effect that will cause 10% of the damage dealt as additional magic damage over the next 3 seconds.

45 mana cost
8 second cooldown
475 range

Quote:
Malerna's go to ability while mounted and designed to be her primary ability when going AD, in conjuction with Killer's Frenzy.
(Active) Eviscerating Slash

Malerna swings her sword in an arc in front of her, dealing 60/100/140/180/220 physical damage + 80% attack power to every enemy in a cone in front of her and slowing any enemy within the cone by 20/30/40/50/60% for 2 seconds.

80/95/110/125/140 mana cost
8 second cooldown
700 range

Quote:
Designed to be a minion killing ability and allowing Malerna to farm a lane.
[W]Ferocious Jump/Bloodied Bash

(Active) Ferocious Jump

Malerna kicks Killer to jump at a target. If the target is an enemy, it is dealt 25/50/75/100/125 plus 75% of her attack power plus 75% of her ability power as magic damage, ignoring 10/25/35/45/60% of the target's magic resist or 100 % if the target is suffering a bleed effect.

60 mana cost
10 second cooldown
700 range

Quote:
Used to either get away in certain situations, or if going AP build or hybrid, used to damage and/or kill enemy champions. Also good for last hitting minions.
(Active) Bloodied Bash

Malerna shield bashes all enemy targets in a cone in front of her. 50/100/150/200/250 magic damage + 60/90/100/110/120% of her ability power will be distributed evenly among all those targets as well as stunning them for .5/.5/1/1/1.5 seconds as well. If there are 3 or less enemies in the cone, the total damage is reduced by 50%.

100/115/130/145/160 mana cost
10 second cooldown
400 range

[QUOTE]CC ability as well as another minion farming ability. Not meant to be used as a killing blow, but more for off-tank purposes.[QUOTE]

[E]Dissipating Charge/Dark Retrieval

Quote:
Speed boost gives armor total as 30.8 max w/o items; Armor boost gives armor total as 95.63 max w/o items.
(Passive) Dissipating Charge

Malerna's base movement speed increases by 5/10/15/20/25 while she is mounted

(Active) Dissipating Charge

Malerna forces Killer into a full canter, increasing her base movement speed by 10/15/20/25/30% and ignoring unit collision. After 3 seconds or by activating the ability again, Killer will halt and explode into darkness, dealing 75% ability power as magic damage to all enemies in close proximity and leaving Malerna dismounted.

no cost
12 second cooldown
425 range

(Passive) Dark Retrieval

Malerna's base armor increases by 5/10/15/20/25% while she is dismounted

(Active) Dark Retrieval

Malerna calls out to Killer, who will appear on screen in an explosion of darkness and throw back all enemies in her proximity. After 1 second, Malerna will be mounted.

no cost
12 second cooldown / 6 upon using Ultimate
425 range / 600 max knockback range

[R] (Ultimate) Killer's Frenzy/Noxian Duty

(Active) Killer's Frenzy

Malerna flips backward off Killer as he erupts in a burst of darkness. Malerna is knocked back while Killer goes in the opposite direction. Killer deals 180/240/300 +120% attack power as physical damage to the first enemy target in line, dealing 20% less damage to each consecutive enemy, with 60% minimum. Any enemy suffering the bleed effect that is damaged by this attack will suffer 180/240/300+180% attack power as physical damage instead. Afterward, Malerna will be dismounted.

120 mana cost
70/55/40 second cooldown
1000 distance / 500 self knockback distance

Quote:
This ability requires at least 200 total AD to do at least 500 damage. I believe an attack damage based build would focus mainly around Crimson Reaver in conjunction with this ability. It requires some timing though, as upon using this ability, Malerna is dismounted.
(Active) Noxian Duty

Malerna acts as a bodyguard for her allies, taunting all enemy targets in proximity to attack her for 1/1.5/2 seconds. During this time, all incoming damage will be reduced by 20% (+1% for every 20 ability power). Every attack Malerna suffers while she is dismounted reduces the cooldown of Noxion Duty by 2 seconds.

150/200/250 mana cost
120/110/100 second cooldown
550 area of effect distance

Quote:
Noxian Duty does not share a cooldown with its counterpart ultimate; they run on separate timers since their purposes are different and being able to use both of them constantly would be cheap, but both being long cooldowns would be bad for her mounted playstyle.
************************************************** ***************************************

Quote Section

Upon Selection
I ride for Noxia.

Upon Moving
Honor for Blood.
My duty calls elsewhere.
The enemy must perish.

Upon Attack
I will rip your insides through your chest!
I have no use for you! Die!
Your blood will stain this field!

Upon using the command /taunt
I can already imagine your intestines all over my shield.

Upon using the command /joke
I'm all crimson and no clover.

Upon using Crimson Reaver
Run straight through!
Hhhyaaah!

Upon using Eviscerating Slash
Watch your heels, fool!
Try getting away!

Upon using Ferocious Jump
Foward, Killer!
Stomp them flat!

Upon using Bloodied Bash
Shield to the face!
Don't get up, weakling.

Upon using Dismount
Faster! (upon activation)
Woa! Killer! Woa! (upon effect end)

Upon using Mount
Killer! Come to me!

Upon using Killer's Frenzy
Shed a bloody path!
Rip through them!

Upon using Noxian Duty
You'll go through me first.
Kill yourself before my allies!

Comments

There seems to be a scrapped champion that had a mount per se, so I doubt champions who do not walk on their feet (or float by themselves, etc.) would be considered for League of Legends. However, as this is a suggestion, it does not matter, so here is my reasoning behind Malerna, the Crimson Knight (crimson is the color of her armor, for those who wouldn't think of why that's the title).
In essence, she is meant to be a very difficult champion to play (were she to actually exist). She is a hybrid in a way, though not at the same time. She is a speedy damage dealer or tank, and her play style has to be adjusted based upon how much health she has. Since her enemies would be able to easily manipulate her "phase," if she does go down below 50% health, she becomes a hard to kill tank, just don't expect her to be able to escape from battle. Like a bodyguard, she would stay and fight to the death once on foot.
I put specific reference to 'base' stats so that it would be easier to scale up but not be completely overpowered. And since her base stats in those areas should be lower than average, they should even out late game.

Concept Art

Third pic re-imagined by Jimmy Noir, to whom I extend my gratitude.
Link to his other work: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=631334

jrg7777

03-27-2011

Currently working on the artwork (and maybe I'll work on a 3d model in the future). Imitating riot's art style is pretty fun, yet pretty hard without a tablet...

BlackDragon23

03-27-2011

Im doin the same for my champion but i think i might get a tablet eventually lol

jrg7777

03-27-2011

Yeah, I am using what's available at my college, and a tablet isn't among the tools. The good news is I don't need a tablet for Maya, which I much prefer. Maybe I'll skip the art and take a pic of the 3d model.

BlackDragon23

03-27-2011

Sounds good to me

jrg7777

03-28-2011

Added the concept art. Took about 4 hours of straight work from scratch in photoshop. The 3d model will take a lot longer, so might as well have something to look at, right?

jrg7777

03-28-2011

Actually, taking a look at it, I think I'll rework the face, it looks kinda weird. Probably the stomach, too, looks like a punch left a permanent mark...

jrg7777

03-29-2011

Redid face and edited a few other parts. Still looks iffy, but a mouse can only do so much I guess.

Cozarkian

03-29-2011

My overall take is good idea, but I would re-work how the mount/dismount mechanic works.

Granted, I'm very new, and don't even know all the Champions yet (so there might be one with a similar function) but I don't feel that at a character that constantly switches actives and ultimates based upon health percentage really fits, not to mention the added burden of programming. I can just see the annoyance of "take a hit" horse disappears, followed by someone heals me, horse reappears, take another hit, horse disappears.

I'd go with Ultimate (Summon Steed) rather than a passive that switches at the 50% health mark. This would provide a time-based cast that allows for a mounting animation. The effect of the Ultimate could be to give her a new set of stronger actives and faster movement speed (maybe a movement: x bonus so it doesn't stack with boots). If you want to stick with the health mechanic, make the ultimate usable only at full health but with a duration that lasts only until she falls below 50% health, at which point she is knocked off the steed (dismounting animation with a game effect of a 1 sec stun). This would also require her to heal to full, in addition to the normal cooldown, before re-using the ultimate. With the movement bonus from a steed this probably wouldn't be too big of a drawback to accomplish simply by basing.

jrg7777

03-29-2011

Indeed, a great suggestion. Though my intention was to have a hybrid character that doesn't resemble a nidalee mechanic, I do see your point. However, I do like the idea of being a major facet of the character. So yes, I will get rid of the health determining her mounting, but as per the ultimate being the mounting function, I think I would rather allow it a level 1 so as to have the user determine her build. (Either mount for dps or dismount for tank)

12345 ... 9